NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

NBA officiating is difficult and fouls are subjective.  Bad calls/no calls have  influenced almost every close playoff game since I can remember.  It really triggers people more when it goes against who they want to win.

Without a doubt

Having said that, the way players looks to draw fouls nowadays has vastly changed even in the last 10 years, needs to revert back to less ticky tack fouls

Edited by kmoore1521

18 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

NBA officiating is difficult and fouls are subjective.  Bad calls/no calls have  influenced almost every close playoff game since I can remember.  It really triggers people more when it goes against who they want to win.

The problem is that no one (fans, players, or the refs) knows what a foul is. If a guard drives to the rim for a layup, and there's body contact with the defender, is it a foul? Maaaybe. You could literally just flip a coin and be exactly as consistent as the refs. This is why guys yell and scream every time they are called for a foul, and guys yell and scream every time they get to the rim and there isn't a foul called. It's human nature. If there's no consistency, it's going to upset guys. 

Taking away defensive fouls when the offensive player creates the contact is a great start, but you also need to correctly define what a foul actually is. A foul should be an act from a defender that significantly impedes the the offensive players progress. Yes, it's still subjective, but I never want to see a guy get an "and one" because the defender brushed against his arm as he made an easy layup.

22 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Indeed, Watching people shoot FT's is not fun for any fan

Less FT's the better if i had to guess how most fans felt

There were more FTs attempted in the early 2000s than the modern NBA, mainly because perimeter play dominates today's NBA with all the outside shooting. 

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

I think coach Bud deserves some credit.  He has made better adjustments than Monty

letting booker eat for that first 5 min in the 2nd half while cp3/jrue, ayton, bridges and others didnt touch the ball worked very nicely.

booker basically useless with jrue on him yet bud new containing cp3 was more important as he could of got bridges/ayton/booker going with open shots and good flow.

also helps when ur big 3 is much better than ur opponents and that ur big three are 2 way players.

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

I think coach Bud deserves some credit.  He has made better adjustments than Monty

Bud got a lot of flack for never changing his stripes and just being stubborn which is horrible in the playoffs.

Seems like something clicked a few games into the Nets series. Giannis and Middleton playing 40+ min routinely and at times pushing 45. Lopez played 34 MPG against the Nets because they can’t match the size but only 24 MPG against the Suns because of the mismatch created by switches. Also stopped giving Forbes minutes once he started missing everything.

Overall an incredible job by Bud and I was one of his biggest critics.

• Like 2

I think Jrue deserves lots of credit.

In the finals, he has more assists than CP3 (54 vs 44), less turnovers (10 vs 18)  and way better +/-  (+25 vs -3)

Also, "unskilled"   no-jump-shot Giannis has the most points so far  in the series (165 vs Booker's 150),  best FG%  of all starters (61.2%   vs Ayton's 57.7%),  better TOs to ast ratio than  so called Point God CP3   (  3.5 vs CP3 2.44)  and tied for 2nd for most combined steals and blocks (13 vs Ayton's 14).

I cannot imagine what  the numbers would be if Giannis  had some skills...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I think Jrue deserves lots of credit.

In the finals, he has more assists than CP3 (54 vs 44), less turnovers (10 vs 18)  and way better +/-  (+25 vs -3)

Also, "unskilled"   no-jump-shot Giannis has the most points so far  in the series (165 vs Booker's 150),  best FG%  of all starters (61.2%   vs Ayton's 57.7%),  better TOs to ast ratio than  so called Point God CP3   (  3.5 vs CP3 2.44)  and tied for 2nd for most combined steals and blocks (13 vs Ayton's 14).

I cannot imagine what  the numbers would be if Giannis  had some skills...

Giannis is also averaging 5.6 assists throughout the playoffs, 5.9 assists during the season. His play-making ability is underrated, his game is more complete than people realize. He has also had consecutive seasons in the past of shooting above 75% FT on 8 attempts/game. 

11 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

He hasn't made many defensive adjustments. Phoenix shot 13/19 from three in game 5, and most of those were WIDE open. That's inexcusably bad defense. A team of 5th graders would have had more success on those possessions. Literally, because giving up a dunk on every one of those 19 plays would have resulted in fewer points. 

Both teams have played really well offensively, but neither team has been good defensively. 

Edited by ajs723

1 hour ago, cashvillesent said:

Bucks got lucky that the Nets were banged up, or they wouldn't even make it to ECF let alone the Finals.

Really? How about Suns?

They were down 2:1 against Lakers withhealthy LBJ and AD.

No Murray vs Nuggets. 

No Kawhi vs Clippers.  

Really impressive. 

Every Nba  champion had lucky breaks. Time to give it a rest 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Booooooooooooo.+ yawning.

Congrats to the Bucks I guess.

Because Heat don't have a chance against Bucks or Nets?

Giannis is way better than I thought