NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

On 7/3/2021 at 11:58 PM, jay_00 said:

If Giannis plays whole series = Bucks in 6
If Giannis misses a game = Bucks in 7
If Giannis misses more than a game = Suns in 7

This was honestly the easiest, most obvious series to call. Even when they were down 2-0, I 100% believed they would win 4 in a row. Literally told everyone I know so they can bet on it. No one listened though, their loss lol. Nets will win next year though if they stay healthy (obviously huge if since they're always injured).

On 6/9/2021 at 7:44 AM, RedRaider27 said:

Great regular season player, but the game changes in the postseason and he makes nowhere near the same impact as he does in the regular season. Their head coach being idiotic doesn’t help them either. They might as well fire the dude now. Long term though, it doesn’t really matter who’s the coach. Giannis HAS to change his game if he wants to make a real postseason run. There’s no way around it. You have to be able to shoot in today’s game.

Still thinking this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Chris Paul led teams have now lost 13 straight playoff games officiated by Scott Foster

https://twitter.com/betstrends/status/1417694152104497155

Maybe Booker shouldn’t have gone 2-7 with 2 TOs in the 4th.

Giannis was 4-5 with 13 in the 4th. 5-8 with 12 last game.

Find the narrative against Giannis in the 4th interesting. Reminds me of Lebron. Just because he wasn’t taking stupid ISO fadeaways they said he wasn’t clutch in the 4th despite racking up points.

A good chunk of people like to discredit guys that can’t really get their own shot from anywhere. They don’t realize that a jumper is always going to be somewhat inconsistent no matter how good you are. The only sure fire way to score is to dominate the paint. The top 10 players of all time is full of “no bag” physically dominant dudes. Lebron, Wilt, Magic,  Shaq, KAJ, and others couldn’t shoot. Making grown men look like kids as you run through them to the paint is a lot more effective and consistent than shooting jumpers.

6 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Really? How about Suns?

They were down 2:1 against Lakers withhealthy LBJ and AD.

No Murray vs Nuggets. 

No Kawhi vs Clippers.  

Really impressive. 

Every Nba  champion had lucky breaks. Time to give it a rest 

Suns too. 

10 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Giannis just shut the world up.

Calling him “No Bag” with no jump shot.

50 points 5 blocks .

Still doesn't have a jump shot to be fair, so nothing has really changed on that front

Congrats to the Bucks and very impressive game 6 performance at the FT Line by Giannis. Performed at the line when it mattered.

• Like 2

If Giannis develops a semi-reliable jump shot, he has greatest player of all time potential, no. 

It doesn't seem that far-fetched. He's a 28% career 3 point shooter, and a 71% career free throw shooter. If he can get that three point percentage into the 30s and that free throw percentage into the upper 70s, he becomes completely unstoppable. 

27 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

If Giannis develops a semi-reliable jump shot, he has greatest player of all time potential, no. 

It doesn't seem that far-fetched. He's a 28% career 3 point shooter, and a 71% career free throw shooter. If he can get that three point percentage into the 30s and that free throw percentage into the upper 70s, he becomes completely unstoppable. 

his 3 pt % has been in the 30's the last 2 seasons FYI

He is well on his way to the HOF but would need some signature wins over healthy playoff teams to really have a discussion about being on the Mt. Rushmore, already having 2 MVP and now a ring helps a ton but playoff wins over a Marquee player/Team would be needed IMO (up until these playoffs, struggled to get over the hump vs the elite teams, and this playoffs did nothing really to change that not to take away from the ring as a ring is a ring they are all hard to get)

Edited by kmoore1521

This was the first time I watched Ayton play.  He looked like clunky and awkward.  His draft pedigree, scouting reports, NBA numbers, and media plaudits had me expecting to see a great player.  I was kind of shocked by how poor he looked.

Okongwu was more impressive than Ayton.

18 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

This was the first time I watched Ayton play.  He looked like clunky and awkward.  His draft pedigree, scouting reports, NBA numbers, and media plaudits had me expecting to see a great player.  I was kind of shocked by how poor he looked.

He was great Game 1. Then they figured him out and that was pretty much the end of it. 

20 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

He was great this season and was having an awesome playoff run. He totally hit a wall in the finals, and I don't know why. Maybe the moment was too big for him, but he didn't look like himself at all. 

I mean Giannis technically has GOAT potential. His resume at his age is pretty much unmatched and he got his first ring earlier than Lebron and Jordan.

He just won't reach it without improving FT and shooting for sure. He doesn't need to turn into elite or anything but 70%-75% from the line with a decentish jumper from 12-16 feet. Also improve his 3 just a bit and he should have a bid for Mt Rushmore.

Also, I don't get why Giannis seems to work on his pull up 3. He would much better be served working on catch and shoot 3 and that's it. Pull up 3s are a waste of his time and he always takes them in bad situations (like 5 seconds into the shot clock). Catch and shoot would force defenders to close on him resulting in much better spacing and lanes as well as opening up the game overall when he is off ball.

• Like 4

Giannis has goat potential for sure . I thought they’d beat the Suns but I also think everything broke right for them this year . Could happen again and he could get better, but it’s going to be tough in this climate to get good players to come to Miluwakee. But if he keeps winning and gets another MVP , he has plenty of years to add on accolades. 2 mvps and one finals mvp is pretty elite territory. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Giannis has goat potential for sure . I thought they’d beat the Suns but I also think everything broke right for them this year . Could happen again and he could get better, but it’s going to be tough in this climate to get good players to come to Miluwakee. But if he keeps winning and gets another MVP , he has plenty of years to add on accolades. 2 mvps and one finals mvp is pretty elite territory. 

They just don’t have enough star power or scoring outside of Giannis.

Holiday shot under 40% in the finals and against the Nets. He shot under 30% in half of the final games. Middleton is good but he failed to reach 20 points in 3 out of 6 finals games. I don’t really see him as a second option on a contender when everyone is healthy when teams got second options like Harden, AD, and PG.

They really need a big time bucket getter and Middleton to be the third option IMO to be able to give some of these other teams a run if everyone’s healthy. Like a Lillard or Beal type player. I like Holiday and his defense was incredible but he’s awful on offense.

The Bucks will probably stay complacent though. 

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The Bucks will probably stay complacent though. 

I mean they are the cap, there’s only so much they can do. They traded away a number of picks too. Outside of exceptions, they can’t sign anyone I think. And if you’re a player who is going to settle for an exception , are you going to take that to play in Miluwakee? It’s hands down one of the worst free agent destinations in the league. Same tier with Cleveland for sure. 

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean they are the cap, there’s only so much they can do. They traded away a number of picks too. Outside of exceptions, they can’t sign anyone I think. And if you’re a player who is going to settle for an exception , are you going to take that to play in Miluwakee? It’s hands down one of the worst free agent destinations in the league. Same tier with Cleveland for sure. 

It’s not a great destination but a chance to win a ring with Giannis has its draw.

I do agree it’s tough to get better considering they have no picks. Lillard or Beal would be awesome but when you only have 1 first round pick for damn near the next decade and no real young talent it’s not happening. 

They can essentially run it back next season. All their good players are locked in (Middleton, Giannis, Jrue), their side pieces are set (Pat Counnaghton, Brook Lopez). They get Divencenzo back from injury next season, hopefully Portis opts back in (which I doubt he does) and they decide if they can bring Tucker back. 

Solid future. They have maybe 2 years left with current structure to win a second ring.

12 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Giannis, 26 year old, 8th season vs LeBron, 26 year old, 8th season

https://stathead.com/tiny/K7zPA

They are very close...

Time will tell, but Giannis has a chance to be top-5 player ever

I just don't think he'll ever be in the conversation because general stats that are easy to talk about. He hopefully will have all the accolades that you could ask for but until he can shoot like he did last night he won't even sniff that convo

I hate how we all get so hype in the moment. Look, Giannis ain't never gonna be the GOAT, or top 5 all time, and Chris Paul ain't no top 5 PG either.  Paul ain't even top 10. You guys have no respect for history, it's sad.