NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

1 minute ago, Gile Pile said:

Someone is either stubborn or ignorant.

It is ridiculous to compare active player vs retired player using totals.   Giannis   has 8 season in NBA, Bird or Magic have more

So the longevity of someone's career doesn't matter to you? If they do it for 8 or 20, what's the difference, right?

13 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Quoting the guy who drafter Bagley over Luka or Trae

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

You had him averaging 30. YOU. HAD. HIM. AVERAGING. 30. 

You are quoting the wrong guy. I never said anything about him averaging 30, I provided info on him being close to averaging 30.

6 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

So the longevity of someone's career doesn't matter to you? If they do it for 8 or 20, what's the difference, right?

Can I ask you  do you know how long Giannis NBA career will be?  He is  26 and in  good health

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

You are quoting the wrong guy. I never said anything about him averaging 30, I provided info on him being close to averaging 30.

You're right. My bad. I got confused cuz you came in with the list. It was kmoore that said he could average 30 even though he's never done it.

Just now, Gile Pile said:

Can I ask you  do you know how long Giannis NBA career will be?  He is  26 and in  good health

He may be 26, but he started at 19. He's already played 8 years. By the time Michael was 26 he only had 5 full years.

7 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

He may be 26, but he started at 19. He's already played 8 years. By the time Michael was 26 he only had 5 full years.

to quote a saying from the homeland of your favor NBA expert Divac: "Ne trkaj se sa konjima i ne svadjaj se sa budalama" .

I am done trying to have intelligent conversation with you

28 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

So because he averaged 12 ppg, he can't have an opinion? He's talking about a contemporary. He played on the same court, in the same league, with the same rules. He knows what he's talking about. And that's all he's doing by the way, talking. We're not playing right now, we're just talking, and I'll hold Vlade's opinion in slightly higher regard than yours thank you.

I'd bet a large sum he would not agree with your recent posts about nobody being able to touch your top 6 even if they win 5 straight NBA titles and MVP's

2 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

LMAO you guys get so butthurt. This is like the equivalent of a 6 year old sticking his fingers in his ears. "LALALALALA! GIANNIS IS THE GOAT! LALALALA!"

5 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

to quote a saying from the homeland of your favor NBA expert Divac: "Ne trkaj se sa konjima i ne svadjaj se sa budalama" .

Just leave him be, his opinion is that as long as the NBA exists, no player, no matter what accolades they achieve, can crack his top 6 all time

AND his recent response above saying people proclaimed Giannis is the GOAT shows he is trolling, nobody said he is the GOAT = TROLL ALERT

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

I'd bet a large sum he would not agree with your recent posts about nobody being able to touch your top 6 even if they win 5 straight NBA titles and MVP's

I'd bet a large sum nobody is ever gonna do that, so stop with the hyperbole, and stop living in a fantasy world. 

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Giannis is 26 with his prime years ahead of him.
If you ignore totals in player comparison you get some interesting numbers looking only at per game or per 36 stats

Giannis vs Bird - they are basically even
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=antetgi01&player_id2=birdla01

Giannis vs Magic  - they are very close
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=antetgi01&player_id2=johnsma02

I get that. I am just saying that until he gets a good shot, whether warranted or not, most people just won’t talk of him that way. 

Never said that he shouldn’t deserve the respect you’re talking about, just that the general consensus will likely be a vast understatement and most fans won’t even put him in the tier you’re talking about until he (likely never) develops a fade away or jumper night in and night out

4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Just leave him be, his opinion is that as long as the NBA exists, no player, no matter what accolades they achieve, can crack his top 6 all time

And you keep thinking these guys could hack it back in the day

The most annoying and most ignorant basketball fans are the ones that thing players from the 80s or 90s would be so much better than today. Let me give you a reality check:

1. The game was not that much tougher. A bit sure but not much. Everyone points at the Bad Boy Pistons when they were an anomaly in the league. That's why they have their name. Actually go watch full games from the time period instead of reading twitter takes and watching highlights. The fouls Jordan got were just as laughable as the ones guys get today. 

2. The skill now is A LOT higher than back then. This doesn't just pertain to players skill. The film, the sets, the data, the schemes, and literally everything is levels above that time period. 

3. Most players from those eras wouldn't even sniff the league today. A note, I do not want to discredit those guys in any way because they were extremely great with what they had to work with. However, with modern technology and just general development of the sport? No chance. If you took 95% of the guys from the 80s and 90s and just dropped them in the league today they wouldn't make a roster.

Again, this is not to discredit past greats. However, these people that say **** like "Jordan would average 50", "Bird would average 40", "Hakeem would average 40/20", etc need to shut the f--- up. No they wouldn't. They would not be as good relative to everyone else in the NBA as they were back then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

I'd bet a large sum nobody is ever gonna do that, so stop with the hyperbole, and stop living in a fantasy world. 

1 minute ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

And you keep thinking these guys could hack it back in the day

No current or Former players will outright claim that no player moving forward in the NBA can ever crack the top 5 players all time no matter what they do.......as you said

Found your mask sir, and now I shall mute you, dragging down my IQ

Clown GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Actually go watch full games from the time period instead of

I think this is the problem. I lived this ****. I saw games at the old Chicago stadium. Didn't get to go to as many as I wanted to at the United Center because tickets cost a fortune by then, but I saw Jordan live, you saw him on YouTube.

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

No current or Former players will outright claim that no player moving forward in the NBA can ever crack the top 5 players all time no matter what they do.......as you said

Found your mask sir, and now I shall mute you, dragging down my IQ

Clown GIFs | Tenor

They make that claim ALL THE TIME when they say things like Mike would average 50 today. Those 90's Knicks would have broken Giannis in half.

10 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

people that say **** like "Jordan would average 50", "Bird would average 40", "Hakeem would average 40/20", etc need to shut the f--- up. No they wouldn't. They would not be as good relative to everyone else in the NBA as they were back then. 

Giannis' career average is 20.9, What do you think he would average in the 80's? You know, when people could play defense...

20 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

AND his recent response above saying people proclaimed Giannis is the GOAT shows he is trolling, nobody said he is the GOAT = TROLL ALERT

I am very thankful for "Ignore user" option on these forums

• Haha 1

The funny thing is in terms of scoring the toughest era EVER was from like the mid 90s to mid 2000s and honestly it's not close at all. That's when PPG really tanked. The NBA introduced zone defense resulting in making it tougher to score, pace of play grinded to a halt, and teams started using multiple centers. It was just an ugly time to be on offense.

Right now, teams are scoring pretty much what teams scored in the early to mid 80s. Teams were averaging damn near 50% from the field back then. Even during the early part of Jordan's career teams were scoring a lot. Not only that, teams were also shooting more FTs - by a wide margin. Which is funny considering how some of these old heads like to claim back then the game was so tough and fouls didn't get called.

In reality, guys like Giannis, Lebron, KD, Kawhi, and others would run straight through the league in the 80s. No one would even come close to being as good as them. These old heads have it backwards. Again, no disrespect to those guys but in terms of everything basketball related the 80s and 90s can't touch modern times. 

22 hours ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Damn so in 2 years he'll already pass Jordan for consecutive years played because Jordan was too soft to play 10 in a row? Impressive. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Damn so in 2 years he'll already pass Jordan for consecutive years played because Jordan was too soft to play 10 in a row? Impressive. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The point is he's probably more than halfway done

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Damn so in 2 years he'll already pass Jordan for consecutive years played because BLAH BLAH BLAH

Hey, just so you know Brock, comparing a SG and a PF is delusional.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:20 AM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

comparing a SG and a PF? Jeez you are delusional.