NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

40 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

You think he's playing more than 16 years tredford8? I suppose you think he'll play 30, and score 30 PPG for the rest of his career and win every nba championship until then, right?

Players are playing at an elite level until 35+ now. It's just one more advantage on the long list of advantages modern players have over guys from the past.

That means he has 8-9 years or so of high end production left. He can win 3 more rings during that span and 2 more MVPs. If he continues to play how he plays that will put him in the top 5 of all time.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Giannis' career average is 20.9, What do you think he would average in the 80's? You know, when people could play defense...

You're very lost in some biases if you think the defense was better in the 80s. It's objectively wasn't. Today's players are much more skilled.  In 20 years it will be even a higher level. There's a lot of competition in getting to the NBA and becoming an instant millionaire, players didn't stop trying to play defense to get a leg up. The opposite.  All these players play on traveling teams and go to camps from even before they are teenagers. You think they're just messing around doing nothing for all those formative years but the guys in the 80s who only played high school and college were somehow just magically better at defense? You think Craig Ehlo was a ruthless defender that would give even Demar Derozan a modicum of trouble?  

I'm not even going to counter any sort of argument that the defense was better in the 80s. It's a miserable take, and you're not even the only one who thinks that.

It was more physical at times because there was a lack of defense and some people like to overhype that. Guy scoring too much and blowing by you? Just push him down. Some coaches didn't practice defense at all. Not only is the defense better right now but the average player is far more athletic making their defense even better. Fouls being harder at times does not mean the defense was actually better, a lot of people seem to think that. You're all wrong. Quite easily. 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdnCaKmd/

Giannis wouldn't be able to hang here for sure

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gohawks said:

He can win 3 more rings during that span and 2 more MVPs. If he continues COME ON!

Like I said before... NOBODY had the Bucks winning it all this year, but now they're gonna win 3 more. LMAO

Edited by BIGMIKE1026

NBA rules have adapted over the years to make the game more fun for players, fans - Deseret News

I doubt you guys will read it all, but here's a good snippet... "You used to be able to hand-check Derek Harper or put your whole arm for leverage from behind like Buck Williams who mastered it and bothered Karl (Malone),” he said. “Now if you touch a guy, it’s a foul. It’s almost impossible to guard Steph Curry one-on-one because of the way the rules are now."

Recency Bias

a cognitive bias that favors recent events over historic ones. A memory bias, recency bias gives "greater importance to the most recent event."

Lists of superlatives such as "Top 10 Superbowls", Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T.), and sports awards (such as MVP trophies, Rookie of the Year, etc.) all are prone to distortion due to recency bias.

I don't know even know why I waste my time with you guys

On 7/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, Gohawks said:

Name me 10 better PGs than CP3.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Magic, Oscar, John Stockton, AI, Earl Monroe, Isiah, Walt Frazier, Steph Curry, Steve Nash, Bob Cousy,

On 7/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, Gohawks said:

The list is just awful.

20 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

You're very lost in some biases if you think the defense was better in the 80s. It's objectively wasn't. Today's players are much more skilled.  In 20 years it will be even a higher level. There's a lot of competition in getting to the NBA and becoming an instant millionaire, players didn't stop trying to play defense to get a leg up. The opposite.  All these players play on traveling teams and go to camps from even before they are teenagers. You think they're just messing around doing nothing for all those formative years but the guys in the 80s who only played high school and college were somehow just magically better at defense? You think Craig Ehlo was a ruthless defender that would give even Demar Derozan a modicum of trouble?  

I'm not even going to counter any sort of argument that the defense was better in the 80s. It's a miserable take, and you're not even the only one who thinks that.

It was more physical at times because there was a lack of defense and some people like to overhype that. Guy scoring too much and blowing by you? Just push him down. Some coaches didn't practice defense at all. Not only is the defense better right now but the average player is far more athletic making their defense even better. Fouls being harder at times does not mean the defense was actually better, a lot of people seem to think that. You're all wrong. Quite easily. 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdnCaKmd/

Giannis wouldn't be able to hang here for sure

If you put Derozan in the 80s he would retire as the GOAT

24 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I'd like to refer you to my previous post

9 hours ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

NBA rules have adapted over the years to make the game more fun for players, fans - Deseret News

I doubt you guys will read it all, but here's a good snippet... "You used to be able to hand-check Derek Harper or put your whole arm for leverage from behind like Buck Williams who mastered it and bothered Karl (Malone),” he said. “Now if you touch a guy, it’s a foul. It’s almost impossible to guard Steph Curry one-on-one because of the way the rules are now."

27 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This is just so ridiculous. A guy who averages 20.1 PPG in today's NBA would be the GOAT if he played in a completely different era where defense wasn't outlawed. 

Looks like somebody's got a 

9 hours ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Recency Bias

a cognitive bias that favors recent events over historic ones. A memory bias, recency bias gives "greater importance to the most recent event."

Lists of superlatives such as "Top 10 Superbowls", Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T.), and sports awards (such as MVP trophies, Rookie of the Year, etc.) all are prone to distortion due to recency bias.

9 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

This is just so ridiculous. A guy who averages 20.1 PPG in today's NBA would be the GOAT if he played in a completely different era where defense wasn't outlawed. 

The 80s averaged .25 FTA per FG. It was only .19 this year. In fact, the 80s shot more fts than any other era.

spacer.png

So now the 80's are softer than today? You can't make this stuff up! Keep going bro, this is better than a comedy special. 

57 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

My list of the top 10 PGs in history

On 7/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Magic, Oscar, John Stockton, AI, Earl Monroe, Isiah, Walt Frazier, Steph Curry, Steve Nash, Bob Cousy,

Look at all those bums

On 7/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, Gohawks said:

The list is just awful.

Just AWFUL

Edited by BIGMIKE1026

19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The 80s averaged .25 FTA per FG. It was only .19 this year. In fact, the 80s shot more fts than any other era.

This is what a foul looks like today

See anything? Neither did I.

5 hours ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

You're so articulate, and it only took you a whole weekend to come up with that! I suppose you too think DeRozen would be the GOAT if he played in the 80's.

Relax man, this is a fantasy bb forum. You seem way too angry/invested in arguing with folks here. They're out and about enjoying the weekend, while you're constantly checking to see if they replied. Go out. Get some fresh air. Will do you good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Relax man, this is a fantasy bb forum. You seem way too angry/invested in arguing with folks here. They're out and about enjoying the weekend, while you're constantly checking to see if they replied. Go out. Get some fresh air. Will do you good.

So we're done talking about basketball now. You guy's are just thinking of anything you can to slam me. You can't even stick to the sport anymore, now we're just taking cheap shots?

• Haha 2

i dont wanna go thru earlier posts so i dont know if this was discussed earlier but

where do yall think simmons is going? whats the best spot for him…i saw a report today philly is looking for multiple first rounders, conditional picks and a player…i think they are crazy tho

4 hours ago, L3onD said:

i dont wanna go thru earlier posts so i dont know if this was discussed earlier but

where do yall think simmons is going? whats the best spot for him…i saw a report today philly is looking for multiple first rounders, conditional picks and a player…i think they are crazy tho

Shanghai Sharks 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, L3onD said:

He should go to the Knicks. Thibodeau teams never really valued shooting at the point guard position

Could also go to the Warriors for a Wiggins+Oubre+ 7th pick package

Edited by fachowski

20 minutes ago, fachowski said:

He should go to the Knicks. Thibodeau teams never really valued shooting at the point guard position

Could also go to the Warriors for a Wiggins+Oubre+ 7th pick package

Knicks, maybe.

Warriors is a definite no, imo.

• First up, Oubre is a FA, so he's going to demand a lot of $ in a weak FA class. So money won't add up if you have him + Wiggins for Simmons.
  • Simmons, as talented as he is, and as much as he could potentially be a future successor to Draymond, can't be Draymond just yet cause Draymond's still around for 1-2 more years. Which means you have a starting roster with BOTH Draymond and Simmons in it. That's a problem. It's challenging to have a setup where 2 of your starting 5 basically can't score cause it puts a crazy burden on your other guys.

2 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Knicks, maybe.

Warriors is a definite no, imo.

• First up, Oubre is a FA, so he's going to demand a lot of $ in a weak FA class. So money won't add up if you have him + Wiggins for Simmons.
  • Simmons, as talented as he is, and as much as he could potentially be a future successor to Draymond, can't be Draymond just yet cause Draymond's still around for 1-2 more years. Which means you have a starting roster with BOTH Draymond and Simmons in it. That's a problem. It's challenging to have a setup where 2 of your starting 5 basically can't score cause it puts a crazy burden on your other guys.

With Klay and Steph on the 3pt line tho, Having Draymond + Simmons i dont think would be an issue tbh, Simmons can score in the paint, but Philly has too many guys like that

Wiggins + some good stuff would need to be the deal cause as you said, Oubre prob wont work

Edited by kmoore1521

The Warriors have reportedly walked away from trade talks with the 76ers involving Ben Simmons.

Philly was reportedly asking for Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, the No. 7 and 14 picks in tonight's draft in addition to two, future first-round picks, and that sort of request was far too rich for the Warriors' blood. They could also get a very solid player with the No. 7 pick tonight, so there's not much incentive for them to unload everything to snag 2016's No. 1 pick.

HAHA the f are the sixers smoking