NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

11 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

its so funny watching giannis play. its like a rb drill on madden 1 on 1 make ur defender miss. giannis runs full speed into the defender giving him the three or a 15 footer.

and my point still stands kawhi is better at basketball than curry. numbers and eyetest agree anyone who doesnt see that has no clue what they are talking about.

I wasnt a big Curry fan but this season he looked to me like a diff type of player. 

Id say Curry is better than Kawhi right now. I couldnt imagine any elite defenders trying to say otherwise. Curry is harder to defend...on offense than Kawhi is......

5 hours ago, legoDude said:

Curry could not get GSW  to win against Memphis. 
KD could never win as the main guy on the team.   Let's see how it goes in game 7.

LBJ has lost too many finals to be considered better playoff performer than Kawhi.

Assuming health, if you can pick one player for a must win  playoff game today who would you like on your team?

I will go with Kawhi and his  brilliance on both ends.  Game 6 against Dallas was a individual performance to remember

Kawhi better than Curry, oh man I've heard it all now.

And Ja Morant went ham in playoffs for Grizz to beat GS.

SloMo + Dillon Brooks were amazing honestly in their 2021 campaign.

Not to mention Wiggins is a**, Draymond old bum a nice 5 5 5 guy. Wiseman + Oubre injured

An absolute trash Warriors team this year.  And Curry still put up a historic season for the most part

This coming from a die hard Lakers fan, so there's no bias here 

Edited by RunCMC

No wonder Kendall Jenner left Ben Simmons for D. Book

Sitting court-side and all , she needed a shooter in her life 

I still trip out how he got that max contract extension .. ridiculous.  

Edited by RunCMC

if only simmons knew his weaknesses....

Opponents were able to neutralize him very effectively in the half-court as the season moved on, simply backing five feet off him. Simmons would respond by getting very passive in turn, looking very conscious about firing up jumpers, even late in games when his team desperately needed him to be aggressive. To reach his full potential and effectively be paired with other players, Simmons will likely either need to significantly improve his jumper, or be surrounded by plenty of shooters at all times as a primary ball-handler. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-Simmons-61928/ ©DraftExpress

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

No wonder Kendall Jenner left Ben Simmons for D. Book

Sitting court-side and all , she needed a shooter in her life 

I still trip out how he got that max contract extension .. ridiculous.  

To be fair, who in the NBA hasn’t bang a Kadashian? 

1 hour ago, ginocan said:

To be fair, who in the NBA hasn’t bang a Kadashian? 

🤣 she’s a jenner , but this statement still  rings true.

On another note. Wow what a meltdown by Utah JAss . Unbelievable 

Suns about to rain on the flippers in the WCF 

1 minute ago, RunCMC said:

🤣 she’s a jenner , but this statement still  rings true.

On another note. Wow what a meltdown by Utah JAss . Unbelievable 

Suns about to rain on the flippers in the WCF 

That series 100% depends on CP3 and Kawhi.

Although it looks more and more likely that CP3 will return and Kawhi won’t so Suns in 5. 

23 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That series 100% depends on CP3 and Kawhi.

Although it looks more and more likely that CP3 will return and Kawhi won’t so Suns in 5. 

Yeah I totally forgot CP has Covid. Phx hasn’t played in so long

But no Kawhi, so prolly a wash there until either one returns.

Terrance Mann tho next game O/U points: 13.5  book it 😝

Edited by RunCMC

9 hours ago, Gohawks said:

That’s the problem with Kawhi. His peak is extremely short.

During his first Spurs run he was just another piece as I mentioned, he became a star but got injured and then refused to play, he had that season in Toronto (peak), last year he choked along with PG, and then this year he’s injured again.

It’s like people are arguing peak Kawhi vs current Curry. That’s not how that works. There’s a reason T-MAC isn’t mentioned in a lot of conversations.

I’m also going to knock players for sitting out half the regular season just so they can be healthier than everyone else. I get why Kawhi did it but still. It also speaks volume to them getting first seed with Kawhi resting half the year.

I get Kawhi is great but people literally look at one season and use that one season to put him over a dude that went to 5 straight finals. 

This, 100%. Bron and KD are the two most talented players of this generation. Bron isn’t even a question and anyone who tries to say he isn’t top 2 is just a hater. KD is the best scorer of this generation IMO. Curry is a better shooter sure but KD can do literally whatever he wants whenever he wants. He will be remembered as a top scorer in NBA history, rightfully so. Being almost 7 feet tall and doing what he does isn’t fair, you can’t guard him.

Glad we get a 6ers-Hawks game 7. This has been a great series and game 7s are the best. Still don’t think either team will beat BKN or Milwaukee next round. And credit to the Flippers, seriously, I was wrong about them. I didn’t think Utah would find a way to choke away the series but the Flippers didn’t give up. They got some really good role players and George has stepped up. Phoenix will be a tough test but they can beat them for sure, especially with no CP3 who seems like he will be out a while. Flippers have a lot of momentum, chemistry is building fast, and they are battle tested and hardened from these last two series. They are a legitimate threat to win it all with BKN being hurt, and if they do get Kawhi back, this is their title to lose. This is their best shot. Milwaukee has a bad coach who will take them out of the series if they do somehow win tomorrow, BKN is hurt, Phoenix has covid issues…it’s always about who’s healthy and hot this time of year and the Flippers have it going good.

6 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Damn. Both Dallas and Utah blow 2-0 series leads. Smh. These playoffs are tough.

I could expect that from Dallas but I thought Utah had them put away when they went up 2-0. Then I thought they had them put away when Kawhi went down and they were 2-2 with game 5 in Utah. Like I said last night, major credit to the Flippers for hanging in there. But outside of Mitchell, that Utah team isn’t very good and was once again exposed in the playoffs. They’re another team where you look at them and say, something has to change. They’re not good enough. Mitchell is a star, Gobert is a fraud, and the other players just don’t cut it. Over/under 1 year till Mitchell wants out?

55 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I could expect that from Dallas but I thought Utah had them put away when they went up 2-0. Then I thought they had them put away when Kawhi went down and they were 2-2 with game 5 in Utah. Like I said last night, major credit to the Flippers for hanging in there. But outside of Mitchell, that Utah team isn’t very good and was once again exposed in the playoffs. They’re another team where you look at them and say, something has to change. They’re not good enough. Mitchell is a star, Gobert is a fraud, and the other players just don’t cut it. Over/under 1 year till Mitchell wants out?

I really dont understand the Mike Conley signing...

GianAnus, Utah JAss, Flippers...name calling in full force. Looks like we have a lot of 11 years old here.

I still wish we can see LA Clippers vs LA Fakers series next year to settle who is the  the best LA team 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The secret ingredient to Utah losing is that when a team runs small ball, Gobert is about as efficient as a paper towel guarding the hoop. He can’t guard/don’t want to come out the paint, and if they get him out the paint, any smaller guy (Reggie Jackson or similar) drives and scores. 

Key facts: up 25 points lose by 12

Rudy Gobert was -24

Joe Ingles was -18

Maybe start with shaking up the team with those two players first. Because one is going to get paid 34+ for the next 3 years and the other is 12 million but he is expiring so it may be best. Luckily Mike Conley’s 34 million is coming off the books so maybe they’ll justify keeping Gobert another year and grab a small ball center.

30 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

The secret ingredient to Utah losing is that when a team runs small ball, Gobert is about as efficient as a paper towel guarding the hoop. He can’t guard/don’t want to come out the paint, and if they get him out the paint, any smaller guy (Reggie Jackson or similar) drives and scores. 

Key facts: up 25 points lose by 12

Rudy Gobert was -24

Joe Ingles was -18

Maybe start with shaking up the team with those two players first. Because one is going to get paid 34+ for the next 3 years and the other is 12 million but he is expiring so it may be best. Luckily Mike Conley’s 34 million is coming off the books so maybe they’ll justify keeping Gobert another year and grab a small ball center.

I still don’t understand what Quinn Synder was thinking leaving Gobert in. Dude was getting burned every single possession in the 3rd quarter, then Snyder proceeds to leave him in and play him the whole 4th and the same thing happens. That’s about as bad as Coach Dud for Milwaukee. Some real head scratching decisions have been made these playoffs.

if ur 5 cant switch and guard guards/wings ur in trouble especially if that guy is ur 2nd best player (gobert)

those rim protectors are pointless in the playoffs when they will just run a simple screen when ever they want to expose a mismatch.

capela has a negative +/- rating in every game this series vs phi (-55). wonder why?.

Edited by colepenhagen

I don't think Gobert is a bad player in the playoffs. He would have been a nightmare for a team like the Lakers. The problem is he isn't a guy that you can play 40+ minutes in a lot of these matchups because issues arise like already mentioned. One thing I want to say is that it wasn't all his fault yesterday. The Jazz perimeter defenders were actually awful and got beat over and over. Gobert either had to commit to defending an easy drive or to defending the man in the corner. 

Even with that point, you want a guy that can close space quicker. It's actually one thing that makes Giannis so good as a help defender and a lot more useful than Gobert in the playoffs. He's extremely hard to drive against but he can also close out fast enough that guys don't have easy looks from deep. 

So ideally, Gobert is playing 20 minutes in these kind of matchups. Except they paid him 200M so there's a zero percent chance they're going to play him that little because of the look of that contract alone. It's debatable if they should have given him that contract but they made their bed now they have to lay in it.