NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

1 minute ago, legoDude said:

That would be a steal for Blazers.

Simmons is 6' 11" (same as Nurkic, Jokic,  Giannis, AD is 6' 10")  and it's obvious that Simmons as PG does not work. Playing  Simmons at center or PF  would be much better option (of course Simmons needs to agree to that).

Dame, Powell, Covington, Simmons  x 2 would be  much better starting 5

In other words, imo best for Simmons would be to switch to 5 and surround him with shooters

There's two problems:

1. The first is, he has a 200M contract. It's way too much for the player he is and severely restricts your ability to build a competitive roster. Ben Simmons is a glorified role player.

2. Why is there an assumption he would be a good 5? He wouldn't. He isn't nearly a good enough interior defender like AD or Giannis and his post game isn't great either. The only value he really provides that's above average is his play making which isn't exactly easy to do from the center spot.

Simmons is beyond useless in the playoffs. You are playing 4 on 5 on offense with him on the court and if you need to make a run you just start fouling him until they take him out like we've seen over and over again. I don't know how much value he really has because of this. If he is unplayable in key moments in playoff games and is the biggest negative in the entire NBA in half court sets is his defense and transition game even worth a damn?

47 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

2. Why is there an assumption he would be a good 5? He wouldn't. He isn't nearly a good enough interior defender like AD or Giannis and his post game isn't great either. The only value he really provides that's above average is his play making which isn't exactly easy to do from the center spot.

Simmons might not be as good defender as AD or Giannis but he is definitely better than Nurkic (and that is all he needs to be).   Despite terrible playoffs this year Simmons was/is still an All-Star level player

His contract is not ideal but Blazers do not have many other options to improve their roster and keep Dame happy.

I think Simmons trade is coming sooner than later. I also think that Sixers will get solid value for him

2 minutes ago, legoDude said:

Simmons might not be as good defender as AD or Giannis but he is definitely better than Nurkic (and that is all he needs to be).   Despite terrible playoffs this year Simmons was/is still an All-Star level player

His contract is not ideal but Blazers do not have many other options to improve their roster and keep Dame happy.

I think Simmons trade is coming sooner than later. I also think that Sixers will get solid value for him

Nurk isn't a great defender but he is force in the paint. Simmons is not. Almost all of his points in the paint are on the break or driving. Not exactly a center. 

All I am saying is that Ben Simmons is still an All-Star level player, despite terrible playoffs this year.  

Does he have flaws  in his game? Yes

Can these flaws be corrected? Yes

He is 24 years old with great athleticism and an elite skill set on defense.  His troubles on offense seems to be mostly mental and change of scenery can  help.

Shooting is a skill that can be taught.   Ben Simmons does not need to be elite shooter, he just need to get close to the same level as Fultz.  It is very similar situation  for both of them.

Why Blazers should trade for Simmons? Because their defense sucks big time. 29th in the regular season, 14th in the playoffs. Denver without Murray averaged 120 points against Blazers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Playoffs

Blazers do not have problem scoring,  they have a huge problem on defense and  Simmons can help on that end

Edited by legoDude

ik where id be shopping simmons

“It would enhance his game, obviously. That can’t be argued with. But all of his physical skills, basketball skills, the way he understands the game, as unselfish as he is — he’s so elite already, who gives a damn if he can’t shoot.”

cmon on gregg all talk or what?

Edited by colepenhagen

52 minutes ago, legoDude said:

All I am saying is that Ben Simmons is still an All-Star level player, despite terrible playoffs this year.  

He is 24 years old with great athleticism and an elite skill set on defense.  His troubles on offense seems to be mostly mental and change of scenery can  help.

Shooting is a skill that can be taught.   Ben Simmons does not need to be elite shooter, he just need to get close to the same level as Fultz.  It is very similar situation  for both of them.

Why Blazers should trade for Simmons? Because their defense sucks big time. 29th in the regular season, 14th in the playoffs. Denver without Murray averaged 120 points against Blazers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Playoffs

Blazers do not have problem scoring,  they have a huge problem on defense and  Simmons can help on that end

38 million though for defense?

47 minutes ago, legoDude said:

There's been zero sign that these flaws can be corrected. He's been in the league for 4 years now and has shown zero signs of getting better. In fact, he's gotten worse in a lot of aspects of his game. It doesn't mean that there's no chance he will improve but who would want to take that risk now considering he has shown zero signs of improving?

He's not an all star player. At all. I don't care what he does in the regular season when in the playoffs he is a glorified Tony Allen. He has been laughably overrated his entire career and he is still living off that hype in some peoples heads (like yours). They actually got bailed out in game 6 with him getting in foul trouble because if he didn't they lose that game also. The second he came out the offense opened up and Maxey gave them a spark putting them right back in the game. 

Simmons is a 25 MPG player that is in the game to put all his energy into guarding the best player on the other team and contributing on the break and to shot creation. Is it valuable role in the NBA and one that every team can use? Yes. is it an all star role and one that is worth 200M? f--- no. It's also damn sure not as valuable as being able to get your own shot consistently like CJ does.

For those of you who are thinking that Simmons is  trash and overrated, what do you think of Draymond?

Numbers are very similar  for both this year.

Also, do not forget that Embiid was playing on an injured knee and Green was out.  It's not like Simmons is the only reason (he is the biggest reason) why Sixers lost.

When Simmons trade happens it would be very interesting  to revisit this thread in 2 years and see which team ended up better

2 minutes ago, legoDude said:

For those of you who are thinking that Simmons is  trash and overrated, what do you think of Draymond?

Also, do not forget that Embiid was playing on an injured knee and Green was out.  It's not like Simmons is the only reason (he is the biggest reason) why Sixers lost.

When Simmons trade happens it would be very interesting  to revisit this thread in 2 years and see which team ended up better

Green: 4x 1st defense, 1x 2nd defense, and 1 DPOY

Simmons: 2x first defense

Green is a better defender than Simmons.

You also fail to take into account that you can actually play Green in the 4th quarter because he shot 80% from the line. Not 30% like Simmons shot in the playoffs. Also, while Green is a bad shooter he will take 3s and hit them once in a while. He doesn't do much for offensive spacing but at least you have to put a hand up.

So no their numbers are not similar. You just ignore how Simmons had the worst FT showing in playoff history and can't make a shot from outside of 5 feet. 

Thanks.

I do not pretend that I am an expert talent evaluator in the NBA, that is just my opinion about Simmons.

I do believe that people who  vote for All-NBA teams and awards know better than me and that there are reasons why Simmons made All-Star and All-Defense teams multiple times.

It will be interesting to see what trade offers Sixers get for Simmons.

I think there will be multiple  solid offers for him.  On the side note, I hope either Raptors or Spurs manage to  trade for him.

In my opinion Simmons is not used correctly as PG and good coaches like Nurse and Pop would fix that and find better role for him

4 hours ago, legoDude said:

It didn't help adding Norman Powell (Lillard, CJ, Powell on the defensive end ain't winning a chip) 

No lebron, durant or curry. This should be worth watching and not be played out.

The NBA purposely puts teams and players together for ratings.

Like Barkley said or some other dude you cannot win a championship with hardens type of play.

Edited by ChrisChinMcCaffrey

If you want to highlight the fresh new talent of the league. 

Suns vs Atlanta will be a great finals battle. Booker vs Trae Young a rivalry that can last years and with key veterans like CP3 and Lou Williams finally getting a ring that would be a good way to inject new life.

If you want to keep putting up these old players who have been disappointing in the playoffs the last few season and are on their last hurrah of cementing a spot in the hall of fame then you trot out:

Clippers vs Bucks with Paul George and Giannis. I don’t think Kawhi makes it back for the finals. 

16 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

If you want to highlight the fresh new talent of the league. 

Suns vs Atlanta will be a great finals battle. Booker vs Trae Young a rivalry that can last years and with key veterans like CP3 and Lou Williams finally getting a ring that would be a good way to inject new life.

If you want to keep putting up these old players who have been disappointing in the playoffs the last few season and are on their last hurrah of cementing a spot in the hall of fame then you trot out:

Clippers vs Bucks with Paul George and Giannis. I don’t think Kawhi makes it back for the finals. 

What?

Giannis is 26. If he wins a ring he would be younger than Lebron or Jordan during their first ring. Don’t know what’s with this last hoorah BS. While Giannis hasn’t been great in the playoffs I don’t see how he’s old.

Giannis isn’t cementing anything yet. As far as I’m concerned, with his age and accolades he’s chasing the Mt. Rushmore of basketball not HOF.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

What?

Giannis is 26. If he wins a ring he would be younger than Lebron or Jordan during their first ring. Don’t know what’s with this last hoorah BS. While Giannis hasn’t been great in the playoffs I don’t see how he’s old.

Giannis isn’t cementing anything yet. As far as I’m concerned, with his age and accolades he’s chasing the Mt. Rushmore of basketball not HOF.

What? When did I say he was old. I said last hurrah because we’ve seen Giannis in the playoffs what the last 3-4 seasons? The collective have stated that he has no shot at least not as bad as Simmons but the Bucks have built a somewhat decent team around him. Jrue Holiday has been a great addition. Where did Lebron or Jordan come into play in the conversation?

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

If you want to keep putting up these old players

Right here. It clearly implies that Giannis is old

• Thanks 1

On the side note, Young and Hawks  have no chance of reaching finals enough times to form a rivalry with Phoenix. 

This year they got lucky to play NY and Embiid with one healthy knee.

Bucks in 6

43 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

What? When did I say he was old. I said last hurrah because we’ve seen Giannis in the playoffs what the last 3-4 seasons? The collective have stated that he has no shot at least not as bad as Simmons but the Bucks have built a somewhat decent team around him. Jrue Holiday has been a great addition. Where did Lebron or Jordan come into play in the conversation?

14 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Old meaning players who have been in the league a while, not old because of age.

Giannis is an interesting case though because he came into the league as raw as can be. If you think about it this is only really his 5th year on the scene (maybe even 4th). The difference between him and Booker is negligible.

I get your point more now but still don’t agree with it. Giannis and PG are also not comparable in this regard either. Giannis is a lot closer to Booker than PG in terms of being in the league.

I’d love for Giannis to get a ring because it starts to make his potential legacy extremely interesting. 2x MVP, DPOY, a ring, and a finals MVP by 26 gives groundwork for a pretty interesting narrative in terms of where he can land among the greats. Especially if he can improve his FT and develop more consistent post moves / jumper.

Simmons probably chillin on a boat somewhere banging some model reading all these posts about him 🤣 sorry Ben 

It’s really not THAT hard, he could become at least a decent FT shooter with a couple years work and if he’s at least willing to take 3s and maybe make a couple, that helps him out so much. Anyone saying he’s not talented is wrong. 6’10” dudes with his handle, vision, and defensive abilities don’t come around often. Clearly he’s broken right now and obviously needs a change of scenery. But at 24, there’s still a lot of time to develop and just being more aggressive would really help him to start. He lost all confidence in himself and once that happened, it was over for him 

17 hours ago, legoDude said:

Draymond literally went for the last shot in regulation in their elimination play-in game against Memphis. Probably shouldn't have lol, but he went for it. That' s a fundamental difference between Draymond and Ben Simmons. When push comes to shove, Draymond's taking the shot.

Draymond's also got higher basketball IQ imo, but that can be attributed to experience and playing with smarter/better players and coaches for a longer period. They're both good defenders and solid facilitators. But Draymond's willing to take chances and is naturally aggressive, cause he's got balls. Sometimes it blows up in his face, but over the long term, it's helped more than it has hurt.

Simmons can be like Draymond - an excellent facilitator big on a championship level team. The problem is he needs to be more aggressive. That's the difference. And it may not get reflected in the stats, but it gets reflected in big game wins.

• Thanks 1