NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 NBA Playoffs Thread

45 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

Stotts wasnt the best but neither was the worse. Firing him mainly because of defense isnt fair. Changing coach with scrub defensive players isnt going to change the defense improvement.

They need a new face in the locker room. Stotts isn’t a bad coach but it’s always the same story with them. Playoff caliber team that has a couple weapons offensively, nothing defensively, and they get bounced early. Sure, that might not be all Stotts’ fault but it’s time for a change. The GM stuck his neck out and bet it all with what he said following their elimination. I expect them to try to make significant changes this offseason. I give Dame one more season before he wants out. He’s already dropped a couple hints. He’s right, how long can he stay dedicated? 

3 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Draymond literally went for the last shot in regulation in their elimination play-in game against Memphis. Probably shouldn't have lol, but he went for it. That' s a fundamental difference between Draymond and Ben Simmons. When push comes to shove, Draymond's taking the shot.

Draymond's also got higher basketball IQ imo, but that can be attributed to experience and playing with smarter/better players and coaches for a longer period. They're both good defenders and solid facilitators. But Draymond's willing to take chances and is naturally aggressive, cause he's got balls. Sometimes it blows up in his face, but over the long term, it's helped more than it has hurt.

Simmons can be like Draymond - an excellent facilitator big on a championship level team. The problem is he needs to be more aggressive. That's the difference. And it may not get reflected in the stats, but it gets reflected in big game wins.

The biggest differences are Simmons shot the worst FT% in playoff history and Green is a respectable FT shooter. Green can also take and hit a 3. Is he good at it? No but he made .5 per game last year which compared to Simmons is infinitely better.

No amount of coaching, scheme changing, or positional tinkering will fix Simmons. He needs to fix it himself by putting in time and getting his FT% go closer to 70% and being able to hit a jumper here and there. No one is asking him to even be average just don’t be historically bad and closer to a guy like Green.

As long as his shooting and aggressiveness stays the same he isn’t anywhere damn near all star level. Simmons only played 31 MPG this series because he’s such a liability and even that was too much.

As I said, this is on Simmons to fix but the problem is he doesn’t give a ****. Even refusing to play for Australia despite being healthy and making a ton of promises how he wants to win gold and play. Dude rather play PUBG than get a shot. If I was a team like the Blazers and they offered Simmons for CJ straight up I’d hang up the phone. 

3 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Suns going to be able to resign Ayton?

for sure

bridges might be an odd man out which sucks since he was a lot of money 

and im still not sure what to think of cp3, will he resign for a reasonable amount and retire with the suns regardless of them winning it or losing this season or is he out for the biggest bidder (which might be the lakers tbh hahaha since lebron will be desperate for changes and lakers will go all in once again)

1 hour ago, ginocan said:

So nobody is going to talk about how beastly Trae is performing out there? nobody? Ok then. 

he got lucky. he almost cost them that game when mil went on the run mid/late 4th when trae launched from the logo 3 possessions  in a row then dribbled in the corner for a double team t/o.

Edited by colepenhagen

6 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

he got lucky. he almost cost them that game when mil went on the run mid/late 4th when trae launched from the logo 3 possessions  in a row then dribbled in the corner for a double team t/o.

Overall, he still had a great game. I agree that they did get bailed out in the last couple minutes by Milwaukee but still, he had a great game overall.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, L3onD said:

for sure

bridges might be an odd man out which sucks since he was a lot of money 

and im still not sure what to think of cp3, will he resign for a reasonable amount and retire with the suns regardless of them winning it or losing this season or is he out for the biggest bidder (which might be the lakers tbh hahaha since lebron will be desperate for changes and lakers will go all in once again)

I’m no cap expert but I don’t believe there’s any way the Lakers could get CP3 without gutting the entire roster and even then I think CP3 would have to take somewhat of a discount. I know he loves LA, his family is out here and playing with Bron on a championship caliber team could sell him but it’s pretty unlikely to me. Lakers are much better replacing a couple pieces and going for it again. Had they been healthy this year I still believe they’d be in it and that’s with multiple pieces that didn’t fit.

6 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

48 pts 50% FG 

Lead a team to a win that was +8 points Underdog on the road. But yet he is lucky. 

I guess my standards are so low that I thought Trae was a beast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Trae was a beast last night, but it's just one game.

I have a feeling that  Bucks - Hawks series will be very similar to Bucks-Heat series.   

Bucks in 5 or 6.

I also think Bucks in 5. Trae had his best game ever and they just barely won. Bucks also figured out how to defend him in the 4th and he just got frustrated and started chucking 3s.

Bud is still a moron for giving him those floaters for 75% of the game but he finally adjusted. 

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Bud is still a moron for giving him those floaters for 75% of the game but he finally adjusted. 

I totally agree.  Pop, Nurse or any other good coach would do wonders with Bucks

5 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Trae was a beast last night, but it's just one game.

I have a feeling that  Bucks - Hawks series will be very similar to Bucks-Heat series.   

Bucks in 5 or 6.

Am i the only person here thinking that the Hawks might upset the Bucks for this series? I think the Hawks' should win now because of their core. Huerter and Collins might be RFA's (not quite sure) this offseason. So if there will be a chance for them to make it, it should be now. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:01 AM, RedRaider27 said:

Cade going to Detroit 😳 sorry bro

Detroit going to be something in the near future, With Hayes, Cade, Bey, Grant and Stewart plus good support group like Josh Jackson, Cory Joseph and Mason Plumlee. Hope Troy Weaver doesn't mess this up. 

24 minutes ago, MANGKANOR said:

Am i the only person here thinking that the Hawks might upset the Bucks for this series? I think the Hawks' should win now because of their core. Huerter and Collins might be RFA's (not quite sure) this offseason. So if there will be a chance for them to make it, it should be now. 

Probably.  As mentioned earlier, Bucks figured out how to defend Trae in the 4th.  Trae was 16/27 (59% FG) 4/9 for 3s in the first 3 quarters. 

In the 4th he was 1/7  (14%FG) and 0/4  for 3s.  All they have to do is run the same defense

Was curious about Booker's broken nose and upon reading it resulted from collision with Patrick Beverly my first reaction was dirty defense.  Checked the videos and sure enough, Beverly purposely launched his head towards Booker face followed by an innocent what happened gesture and pretending to hurt his forehead. All the while Booker is on the court bleeding. WTF.

Beverly does play good defense and hustles but his constant and intentional attempts to hurt or injury an opposing player should be called out by his coach, team and the league. That is my rant.

How is that dirty play?  

1 - Booker fools Beverley into going left

2 - Beverly jumps forward to poke the ball out of his hands (he is in the air)

3 - Booker changes direction on goes right with his head forward

4 - Beverly cannot stop mid air  and collision happens

If anything it's an unfortunate play

watch form 0:30  mark