NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Adam Frazier 2021 Outlook

He's batting 339 with an XBa over 300.  He's always been rather legit with the BA, with the exception of last year which was weird for many players.  He said he "shortened" his swing this year.  I am 100% a believer and he's been an absolute godsend for my team.  Frazier will give you a lot of runs because he bats first in the Pirates lineup, and more PA means more opportunities for him to positively impact you with his high BA.  He will not get you many RBI.  He will chip in probably ~10-13 HR and ~5-10 steals over the course of the season to boot.  I think he's a must add in all BA leagues at this point, especially playing 2B

3 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

He's batting 339 with an XBa over 300.  He's always been rather legit with the BA, with the exception of last year which was weird for many players.  He said he "shortened" his swing this year.  I am 100% a believer and he's been an absolute godsend for my team.  Frazier will give you a lot of runs because he bats first in the Pirates lineup, and more PA means more opportunities for him to positively impact you with his high BA.  He will not get you many RBI.  He will chip in probably ~10-13 HR and ~5-10 steals over the course of the season to boot.  I think he's a must add in all BA leagues at this point, especially playing 2B

When Hayes returns his production should go up a notch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Casual 3-4 game with 3 runs and a HR.  Just another day in the life of the best second baseman in fantasy baseball (don't @ me )

Edit: Line up to 330/396/477 with 4 HR and 4 SB.  ELITE ELITE ELITE

Edited by Fbaseballgod

3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Casual 3-4 game with 3 runs and a HR.  Just another day in the life of the best second baseman in fantasy baseball (don't @ me )

Edit: Line up to 330/396/477 with 4 HR and 4 SB.  ELITE ELITE ELITE

BA is elite, and his run total is very good. But his other counting stats keep him from being elite. He’s not on pace for double-digit HR or SB. Good MI option or backend 2B option in 12+ team leagues, but I wouldn’t label him as elite. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

BA is elite, and his run total is very good. But his other counting stats keep him from being elite. He’s not on pace for double-digit HR or SB. Good MI option or backend 2B option in 12+ team leagues, but I wouldn’t label him as elite. 

He’s on pace for 10 HR and 10 SB.   Combined with a 330 average and a ton of runs and I’ll take him over most 2B.  He’s way better than a “backend option.”  If this is true for you- which 2B would you take over him?  Muncy will have more HR and RBI but literally 70 points less in BA and 10 less steals.    

Okay, calling him the #1 2B May be an exaggeration cause of Semien and Merrifield and Altuve.  But I don’t think being top 5 is too much of an exaggeration if he maintains this BA 

It all depends on the format. He's a BEAST in points leagues. For example, he's been the #4 overall hitter in my league, behind Guerrero, Acuna and Olsen. That means he's scored more points than guys like Castellanos, Winkler, Bogaerts, etc. That's due to him having the most hits in baseball and also one of the lowest K%.

Due to the lack of real speed and power, I can see how he wouldn't be nearly as valuable in a standard 5x5. 

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It all depends on the format. He's a BEAST in points league. For example, he's been the #4 overall hitter in my league, behind Guerrero, Acuna and Olsen. That means he's scored more points than guys like Castellanos, Winkler, Bogaerts, etc. That's due to him having the most hits in baseball and also one of the lowest K%.

Due to the lack of real speed and power, I can see how he wouldn't be nearly as valuable in a standard 5x5. 

Yup, nailed it. 

If I draft someone this year. You should draft him next year. He's basically Altuve Lite... Finally 2 years later. How many hitters on your team are even batting 250? He's probably leading the league in multihit games. 2B is extremely shallow. Pick him up. God forbid he gets traded to an actual MLB team.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I highly doubt they traded for a bat like that just to play him part time. I'm sure they will find consistent playing time for him. 

I'm not even sure why they traded for him in the first place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissingLink said:

Or is it? Where will he play? Cronenworth, Profar, Pham, Myers, Grisham who sits to give him playing time?

And Kim too who doesn't get any real playing time and is under contract at 7 mil a year for each of the next 3 years and an option year as well. 

Well Kim is already basically sitting so doesn't get regular AB's so is always looking rusty when he is in.

He's been miles better than Myers or Hosmer. Frazier is a perfect second hitter imo

Edit: as in second spot in the lineup, not second best hitter on the team(even that is debatable). 

Edited by mavsfan23

2 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I'm not even sure why they traded for him in the first place. 

Unless this is part one of a two part trade coming up in next few days where they flip him or someone(s) else for a bigger fish to some other team; this trade makes no sense at all to me.

• Like 1

Okay so like, the Padres already had a problem with one of Hosmer/Profar/Kim on the bench.  Now they will have 3 starterish level players on the bench.  All to replace one of these guys with... Frazier?  Like, I know he's having a career year, but his peripherals aren't that different than other years, and he's been basically a 2 WAR max player his entire career.  And they gave up one of their top 10 prospects and more?  I respect the Padres going for it, but this aint it (imo).  

For frazier, obviously a major upgrade

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Okay so like, the Padres already had a problem with one of Hosmer/Profar/Kim on the bench.  Now they will have 3 starterish level players on the bench.  All to replace one of these guys with... Frazier?  Like, I know he's having a career year, but his peripherals aren't that different than other years, and he's been basically a 2 WAR max player his entire career.  And they gave up one of their top 10 prospects and more?  I respect the Padres going for it, but this aint it (imo).  

For frazier, obviously a major upgrade

Profar and Kim are garbage

Myers and Hosmer are having bad years

Frazier plays every day and the lineup looks like this

Frazer RF

Tatis

Cro 2B

Manny

Grish CF

Pham LF

Hosmer 1B

Nola C

Myers, Profar, Caratini off the bench, Myers plays 3-4 days a week

Kim in my opinion goes to the minors to play everyday and is dealt in the off-season

41 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Frazier is so underrated. Def a boring roto player, but top ten in the league in OBP and top 20 in XBH. For roto purposes he's a less sexy Chris Taylor if such a thing is possible.

In a 5x5, he's pretty boring. That's for sure. In points leagues, he's been a top 5-10 hitter this season due his extremely low K% and decent BB%.

If he does end up leading off, he's going to score a bunch of runs ROS.

As I stated in the trade thread, this deal makes sense for 2022, as the Padres will need a left fielder with Pham leaving for free agency, but I have to agree with those who are confused about where Frazier will play this season. The Padres minor league system is top heavy with talent, but lacks depth. Seems odd to thin it out even more to acquire a hitter when they really need more pitching depth.

Edited by Ixnue