NBC Sports EDGE Forums

5/21 - GAME DAY THREAD

Posted (edited)

OT but mks asked this in yesterday's now locked thread regarding why the Jays are moving out of Dunedin and up to Buffalo instead of Toronto and he deserves an answer:

Whats the dumb reason Canada is giving to why can't have them return to Toronto yet? Covid seems to be under control enough to not be so strict with this travel ban when MLB has done all it could to insure players and commumity safety.  Be really cool if they play soon in Toronto again.

If you follow the news this is a very easy answer.  The border between the US and Canada is remaining closed for now period.  Yesterday the US officially announced that the border closing will be extended until June 21st at which time the situation will be re-accessed.

Meanwhile Canada is behind the US in vaccination percentage because it doesn't have a big stockpile of same having to rely upon shipments from US and EU manufacturers.  They are at something like 38% with one shot at this point and both countries want to see that higher.  Toronto had a serious outbreak last month if you remember.  No one wants a mini India situation happening so near the finish line.

Games come second to reality for now.  You just can't wish things to hurry up.  It doesn't work that way.  Hold on and don't fumble it now on the one yard line.  Almost there.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT but mks asked this in yesterday's now locked thread regarding why the Jays are moving out of Dunedin and up to Buffalo instead of Toronto and he deserves an answer:

If you follow the news this is a very easy answer.  The border between the US and Canada is remaining closed for now period.  Yesterday the US officially announced that the border closing will be extended until June 21st at which time the situation will be re-accessed.

Meanwhile Canada is behind the US in vaccination percentage because it doesn't have a big stockpile of same having to rely upon shipments from US and EU manufacturers.  They are at something like 38% with one shot at this point and both countries want to see that higher.  Toronto had a serious outbreak last month if you remember.  No one wants a mini India situation happening so near the finish line.

Games come second to reality for now.  You just can't wish things to hurry up.  It doesn't work that way.  Hold on and don't fumble it now on the one yard line.  Almost there.

So we looking at June 21st has a possiable return.  So how are they going to do the Stanley cup playoffs if pro sports teams can't cross the border?  Guess the Canada teams can cross to USA but not the other way. June 21st is only 5 more weeks so lets see what happens. I wonder why the Mexico US border is not closed has tight has the USA Canada border. LOL 

5 minutes ago, mks said:

So we looking at June 21st has a possiable return.  So how are they going to do the Stanley cup playoffs if pro sports teams can't cross the border?  Guess the Canada teams can cross to USA but not the other way. June 21st is only 5 more weeks so lets see what happens. I wonder why the Mexico US border is not closed has tight has the USA Canada border. LOL 

June 21st isn’t really a possible return date. It said re-accessed, which means they’ll talk about it and blah blah blah. Probably means July more then likely. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

June 21st isn’t really a possible return date. It said re-accessed, which means they’ll talk about it and blah blah blah. Probably means July more then likely. 

after asb then. i mainly want weather protection for their games

Posted (edited)

Alright who's gonna take a shot with T Anderson @ATL? That lineup looks scary for a soft tossing lefty.

EDIT: Actually, ATL has a worse OPS vs. lefties than rights, but they are much better at home.

Dang it.

Edited by papasmurf

16 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Alright who's gonna take a shot with T Anderson @ATL? That lineup looks scary for a soft tossing lefty.

EDIT: Actually, ATL has a worse OPS vs. lefties than rights, but they are much better at home.

Dang it.

I'm taking the shot, sometimes your just gotta grab your B@11s........

54 minutes ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Anyone throwing Strasburg out there tonight?

I can't cause it's a weekly league and rosters are already locked, but I would feel good about starting him tonight. I bet he comes back dominates. (knock on wood)

• Like 1

Brewers acquired SS Willy Adames and RHP Trevor Richards from the Rays for RHP J.P. Feyereisen and RHP Drew Rasmussen.

Adames, 25, should immediately step in as the Brewers starting shortstop and represents a major upgrade -- especially defensively -- for the Brewers. He has struggled at the plate this season -- slashing just .197/.254/.371 with five homers and 15 RBI -- though he did clobber 20 homers as a 23-year-old back in 2019.

15 minutes ago, Wieties said:

Brewers acquired SS Willy Adames and RHP Trevor Richards from the Rays for RHP J.P. Feyereisen and RHP Drew Rasmussen.

Adames, 25, should immediately step in as the Brewers starting shortstop and represents a major upgrade -- especially defensively -- for the Brewers. He has struggled at the plate this season -- slashing just .197/.254/.371 with five homers and 15 RBI -- though he did clobber 20 homers as a 23-year-old back in 2019.

Isn’t Adames a renowned road warrior?  I wonder if this makes him a suddenly useful option.

Posted (edited)

Lourdes Gurriel starting and batting 8th on yahoo. Absent from the lineup on ESPN.

Nelson Cruz starting and batting 4th on yahoo. Absent from the lineup on ESPN.

Live look at the geniuses on each platform:

Charles County Sheriff's Office - No, you lock it up! #9PMRoutine  #Lockitorloseit | Facebook

Edited by collucho
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, collucho said:

Lourdes Gurriel starting and batting 8th on yahoo. Absent from the lineup on ESPN.

Nelson Cruz starting and batting 4th on yahoo. Absent from the lineup on ESPN.

According to baseballpress starting lineups, neither guy is starting tonight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Anyone throwing Strasburg out there tonight?

I 99% of the time never start a pitcher just back from the IL the first start especially if they have been out more than the 10 day minimum.  And given it is Strasburg I figure he will re-injure himself by the 3rd inning anyway.  (I will however start deGrom when he comes back but in a few days but then he is the one percenter almost by definition).

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Where is that starting Red Sox lineup 

I think they are making changes to the active roster in general and such due to vet Danny Santana to be up with the team now and slated to start tonight.

Line-up is just posted.  Santana playing 1B and current hot hitter Bobby D sitting.  Boo hiss.

1 minute ago, collucho said:

Sitting Dalbec as he's heating up for Danny Santana is very questionable for me. 

Starting Marwin Gonzalez at ANY TIME seems very questionable to me.