NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dynasty vs keeper

I've been around fantasy football for a LONG time, think before computers.  In my time I have tried starting dynasty leagues and have been part of dynasty leagues.  They all died the same death, couldn't get replacement owners for bad teams.  I am currently trying to find a keeper league here in the forum but all I keep seeing is dynasty leagues.   Is there a reason for the dynasty leagues increased popularity?

Dynasty is way more fun than redraft.

I've been doing redraft for almost 20 years. Joined a dynasty 3 years ago and it immediately became my favored league.

You just have to find better people to play with if your leagues die. They aren't dying because of the format.

Thank you for the reply.  I totally agree with you both, dynasty leagues are the best.  You get to keep what you built just like a real team.  But taking over a bad team in dynasty is an exercise in frustration.  When draft day comes, at least the top 150 players are already gone so more than likely your best bet is the best rookie, after that your picking worse than you have.  I agree turning a team around in 2 or 3 years is possible, but I think you would agree it is highly unlikely.  5 years at least and more likely a decade.  Not many good player want to take a team that is going to be a cellar dweller for many years to come.  Especially true in a money league but also true in a free league.  

But I did not question the enjoyment, I questioned the durability.  My personal experience is that I have never started or participated in a dynasty league that lasted more than 3 seasons. You guys apparently have had better luck.  I am sure you are right, I needed to have a different group of guys, but I have no idea how to insure that.  But back to my question, why on the forum are there 20 dynasty teams available for every 1 keeper team.  Because it is harder to get replacements or do the keeper leagues start filling vacancy's later?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, qfingerfl said:

Thank you for the reply.  I totally agree with you both, dynasty leagues are the best.  You get to keep what you built just like a real team.  But taking over a bad team in dynasty is an exercise in frustration.  When draft day comes, at least the top 150 players are already gone so more than likely your best bet is the best rookie, after that your picking worse than you have.  I agree turning a team around in 2 or 3 years is possible, but I think you would agree it is highly unlikely.  5 years at least and more likely a decade.  Not many good player want to take a team that is going to be a cellar dweller for many years to come.  Especially true in a money league but also true in a free league.  

But I did not question the enjoyment, I questioned the durability.  My personal experience is that I have never started or participated in a dynasty league that lasted more than 3 seasons. You guys apparently have had better luck.  I am sure you are right, I needed to have a different group of guys, but I have no idea how to insure that.  But back to my question, why on the forum are there 20 dynasty teams available for every 1 keeper team.  Because it is harder to get replacements or do the keeper leagues start filling vacancy's later?

You just gotta play with people you know in real life. Of course internet leagues with strangers will fall apart.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:39 PM, qfingerfl said:

Not many good player want to take a team that is going to be a cellar dweller for many years to come.

I don't know. I took one cellar dweller and one perennial candidate and if anything I feel more connected to the terrible team. It's the ultimate challenge, and possibly because nobody expects it to succeed in 2 seasons, also everyone is fine if it takes 5 or 10 seasons. Losing, to a certain extent, is addictive too ;)

Regarding Keeper vs Dynasty: I guess it's a matter of taste, but personally I like if you have to put in a bit of effort and identify players early (even if I'm not the best at it). The more keepers the better so... why not go full Dynasty?

It's definitely a matter of taste, but what I like about my keeper league's structure is that it more mimics the actual challenges of being a GM, where eventually your gems have to be paid their market worth - it forces you to constantly have to unearth good players bc it's tough to put together a winning just through the auction. As a result, anyone can turn it around and set themselves up well for the next couple of years with a great auction and we've had great retention over the years (I think only 3 of the original 12 owners have cycled out over 19 seasons).

In Dynasty, I could easily see how people fall out of interest if they've put themselves in a bad spot because they're years away from contending. In theory if you crush a few drafts, you could be in great position for many years to come which could also be demotivating for the rest of the league.