Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Milwaukee Brewers 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I was wrong, didn't realize Story would actually be a better defender than Adames too.

Yeah it has been a tremendous rise for him defensively last few years. I think the Brewers are def on him and Adames is such a team first guy that he would be the one to move.

I would prefer a lefty hitter for the infield or esp for 1B if Hiura isn't gonna be able to hack it.

I could also see SP-Gray from COL appealing to a lot of teams, but esp the Brewers...get him in the lab

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

What happens to Adames if they trade for Story? He's been quite good since they've had him and I'm assuming a better defender than Story. Honestly seems they could maybe use a corner infielder most of all, and those are generally not to expensive. 

Depending on how much salary they want to take on both this year and then next couple Josh Donaldson would make a good trade target with the Twins looking to be sellers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Depending on how much salary they want to take on both this year and then next couple Josh Donaldson would make a good trade target with the Twins looking to be sellers

In terms of cost to acquire, Donaldson should be cheap considering he has 2 more years in mid 30s over 20 million per with a lengthy injury history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this is a pretty obvious statement but Wong needs to stay healthy.  Their offense can be stale at times but seems light years better when Wong is leading off.  The Brew Crew has been my adopted team for a few years now since I can't stomach watching the Yankee's anymore.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, knifeparty said:

I know this is a pretty obvious statement but Wong needs to stay healthy.  Their offense can be stale at times but seems light years better when Wong is leading off.  The Brew Crew has been my adopted team for a few years now since I can't stomach watching the Yankee's anymore.  

My fantasy team could also use a healthy Wong. He has absolutely been a difference maker for the Brewers when he plays. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

In terms of cost to acquire, Donaldson should be cheap considering he has 2 more years in mid 30s over 20 million per with a lengthy injury history.

You'd have to pay almost all of his contract to get anyone to give you anything for him.  Nobody would take on that contract for free (maybe the Angels).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very fortunate to take that W last night, but they have a chance to sweep the Cubs and really be out in front with July arriving.

I don't like manager CC going with a pen game instead of Burnes on regular rest, but I guess we'll see...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Very fortunate to take that W last night, but they have a chance to sweep the Cubs and really be out in front with July arriving.

I don't like manager CC going with a pen game instead of Burnes on regular rest, but I guess we'll see...

I was hoping it was going to be Bowden Francis who went 5.2 strong innings yesterday in AAA. Kinda odd what they're doing with Ashby as he went 7 innings with 11 K's on June 4th then not more than two innings since. Great start kid, now get your a** in the bullpen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mavsfan23 said:

I was hoping it was going to be Bowden Francis who went 5.2 strong innings yesterday in AAA. Kinda odd what they're doing with Ashby as he went 7 innings with 11 K's on June 4th then not more than two innings since. Great start kid, now get your a** in the bullpen. 

Agreed on Francis--at least to have on hand for sure. I think this was always the plan with Ashby--as far as the break-in via the pen...esp with last years odd season. But this is their MO, they did it with both Woody, Burnes and Peralta too. I think they are counting on Small for some Aug innings too. Even with the thoroughly mediocre Brett Anderson coming back (at some point) I think they will def be looking to dip into the SP trade market...and for at least a few later inning arms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Agreed on Francis--at least to have on hand for sure. I think this was always the plan with Ashby--as far as the break-in via the pen...esp with last years odd season. But this is their MO, they did it with both Woody, Burnes and Peralta too. I think they are counting on Small for some Aug innings too. Even with the thoroughly mediocre Brett Anderson coming back (at some point) I think they will def be looking to dip into the SP trade market...and for at least a few later inning arms.

Hard to argue with the results on those three. Guess I'm now hoping Francis goes to the pen this year haha. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Agreed on Francis--at least to have on hand for sure. I think this was always the plan with Ashby--as far as the break-in via the pen...esp with last years odd season. But this is their MO, they did it with both Woody, Burnes and Peralta too. I think they are counting on Small for some Aug innings too. Even with the thoroughly mediocre Brett Anderson coming back (at some point) I think they will def be looking to dip into the SP trade market...and for at least a few later inning arms.

Im shocked they havent gone for Gibson or Gray at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been away, but the Brewers continue to push their central lead. Should have swept the double-dip against the Mets yesterday, which would have been something with the best pitcher in the league on the mound in G1. They have also addressed the 1B spot with the acquisition of Rowdy. I thought the price was a tad much, but I guess it was a reflection of the early trade market. I have read that Rowdy is really struggling to hit a decent fastball, but maybe with the sticky disappearing Stearns saw a margin to take the chance with? They can give him 2 weeks to sink/swim and still find an upgrade. Urias has really turned it on, so I guess 3B might not be a priority upgrade anymore. The bullpen is gonna need reinforcements very soon though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The un-official 1st half has closed and the Brewers are 53-39 (home 27-21 and road 26-18) with a +46 run differential and a 4 game lead in the NL Central.

The Reds benefited from some stupendously poor umping, but to their credit they pulled off 3 straight Ws and this last series. The Reds are pretty good and they always play the Brewers well. It should be an interesting battle between these teams, and it picks up again already Fri to begin the '2nd' half. Cards and Cubs have really melted, I normally do not like to write of STL after witnessing years of them pull off great Aug/Sept runs...but boy, they look bad. Cubs could theoretically get hot again, but I think they are  more likely to subtract, than add to their roster.

The brewers have issues/flaws. I get the feeling that Stearns is looking to jump the competition and make an earlier type of splash before the hard deadline approaches. I see them adding a SP and at least 2-3 bullpen arms...the big question is what to do with the bats? Hiura can't reasonably be counted on, nor can Rowdy or even Vogey. That is a big hole, but one that can be fairly easily remedied. I still like the idea of Cron as the regular 1B, but a lefty bat might be much preferred? E Escobar as a regular in this lineup would also fit well and get Urias back into the utility role. But do they decide to get splashier and try for a big time star--ala Story or maybe even a Freddy Freeman??

Gonna be fun, even the most optimistic fan should be awfully pleased with this club (currently). Wong has been integral and will be a massive upgrade when he is finally right. Yeli has some under-the-surface regression coming, if he plays 80% to his capabilities they may be able to run and hide and be a team to beat come playoffs. They will be cautious with the all-star SP core, but I like their plan with them. Also shout out to all-star Omar Narvaez, a catcher hitting .300 with 8 HR and a 29BB/43K ratio, along with solid defense that has been quite under-the-radar this year. Cain coming back healthy will be a tremendous upgrade as well, I just can't stand watching FA flop JBJ flail in the box anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Also shout out to all-star Omar Narvaez

When did get get added? He was the biggest snub and then they put Molina on there, I was po'd. 

Also, the Brewers are going nowhere if Yelich doesn't eventually figure it out, no matter what they do. I've set his thread up with Voodoo GIFs of Baron Samedi so it can play out joyously if he starts to get knocks (there are a bunch of these memes, I'll put them in Brujan's thread too) and the extra ASB rest can't hurt his cause.

Glad to see you're acknowledging Hiura's a wash this year. You lust over Cron, but you haven't given Rowdy a chance, that dude can hit. I've seen it in many Bisons games; he's a lumbering slow guy you aren't impressed but if he catches fire, that move could help get Hiura going towards semi-respectability. He's probably just a stop gap (what did they give up I remember you not being happy about it) but they gave something to acquire so he's still got an audition for a few weeks.

Adding another rotation arm and bullpen arm are just as important, if only to ensure the health of the big trio and Hader/Williams. They need to dial those guys back with such a big lead, a nice luxury to have. Cain and Wong returning can be big boosts as you said, and the offense has made it work with piecemeal contributions. But w/out a better Yelich, I just don't see them getting far down the road in October. At least they'll be there. 

Signed, a very salty Cubs fan RN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, collucho said:

Anyone else get a semi thinking about the Rays losing a trade?

There's a long ways to go before you can really say if anyone won or lost that trade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, cs3 said:

There's a long ways to go before you can really say if anyone won or lost that trade

They gave up two relief pitchers that they didn't need and got an instant spark that has them in first place with a serious chance at making a playoff run keeping fans in the stands and people talking about the team. It has been a month and you can already make that determination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, collucho said:

They gave up two relief pitchers that they didn't need and got an instant spark that has them in first place with a serious chance at making a playoff run keeping fans in the stands and people talking about the team. It has been a month and you can already make that determination.

Yeah that is where I am at. RPs--even good ones see there year-to-year numbers fluctuate. To get a very good and young/affordable SS that plays daily is a pretty big coup.

I always heard good things about him, as a clubhouse guy...but to see the impact he has made in that dugout is crazy. Guy is always having fun (yeah, winning helps) and keeping guys loose. It is hard to envision this deal going sideways and not being a MAJOR W for Stearns/brewers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All that's great, but it certainly doesn't mean the Ray's lost that trade, which is what collucho said. Just because it has looked really good so far for the Brewers, doesn't automatically mean that it hasn't benefited the Rays as well. The Rays clearly didn't/don't need Adames. The did feel they needed bullpen help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cs3 said:

All that's great, but it certainly doesn't mean the Ray's lost that trade, which is what collucho said. Just because it has looked really good so far for the Brewers, doesn't automatically mean that it hasn't benefited the Rays as well. The Rays clearly didn't/don't need Adames. The did feel they needed bullpen help. 

Rays lost the trade.  Adames always had really good stats outside of the Trop.  Now he is outside the Trop forever.  Better for the Rays to have gotten a new ball park then to lose Adames.  😎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rays lost the trade.  Adames always had really good stats outside of the Trop.  Now he is outside the Trop forever.  Better for the Rays to have gotten a new ball park then to lose Adames.  😎

Tampa Bay needed to create room for Franco. They gained two minor league relief pitchers. It is way to early to declare a trade winner or loser though the short term the Brewers did well.

Edited by Low and Away
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Tampa Bay needed to create room for Franco. They gained two minor league relief pitchers. It is way to early to declare a trade winner or loser though the short term the Brewers did well.

Former top SS prospect that is now playing to his potential. There is no chance the Rays got maximum return for a SS at his age playing at this level. With that being said, there was really no way of showing off his potential considering their own home stadium was his kryptonite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Tampa Bay needed to create room for Franco. They gained two minor league relief pitchers. It is way to early to declare a trade winner or loser though the short term the Brewers did well.

TB got basically nothing in return and there was talk before of moving Franco to 3B and keeping Adames at SS since he is the better fielder of the two.  Imagine having BOTH guys on your team.

And even if they were going to trade away Adames had they waited until closer to the trade deadline and played Franco as 3B until then, they could have gotten something worthwhile back for him perhaps.

Bottom line?  Milwaukee is now a legit playoff team while TB could use another bat to push them over the finish line.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...