NBC Sports EDGE Forums

5/30 - GAME DAY THREAD

1 minute ago, Whizzinator said:

Padres are 11th in MLB vs RHP, top half but hardly elite.  You're really overestimating their chances of a comeback---they are nowhere near high enough to justify using Musgrove.

I fully expect someone to post Tingler’s response to that question in the PG

Posted (edited)

I mean, sure, it helps them have a better chance today.  But the math just doesn't suggest that the small gain from using him today in a situation they are exceptionally unlikely to come back is worth losing the far bigger benefit that Musgrove gives them to win tomorrow relative to other options.  A really puzzling choice.

Even if they bullpen was spent (certainly possible) it is hardly unforeseeable that Snell would go out early---why not call someone up?

Really interested to see explanation.  And I don't even own Musgrove anywhere!

Edited by Whizzinator
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Used a lot in terms of appearances / innings maybe, but the pitch counts for their late inning guys were totally within normal parameters:

image.thumb.png.c2174bbbf430166369b64b0b3e71c9b6.png

Only Stammen and Melancon should have been totally unavailable there.  Again, the game isn't out of reach down 7th in the 4th inning.

I'm not saying I agree with using Musgrove. That's only the explanation from the Astros broadcasters. 4 straight extra inning games, bullpen used a lot and a 6 man rotation so every other SP would get moved up a day.   

Edited by jctexan

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

That’s just who he is and always has been - I still maintain he’s a home-ONLY viable option.  Treat his away starts as if he’s always at Coors and you can extract value if you had the misfortune to draft him

If he can’t go five innings at a bare minimum, he’s hard to roster in any format if you’re in need of wins, let alone QSs.

1 minute ago, charger_ss24 said:

If he can’t go five innings at a bare minimum, he’s hard to roster in any format if you’re in need of wins, let alone QSs.

Good Lord: I honestly hope no one drafted him in a QS league!  He’s shown an ability to go five 

Just now, BMcP said:

Good Lord: I honestly hope no one drafted him in a QS league!  He’s shown an ability to go five 

We actually changed over to QS this year in our keeper and I promptly moved him this past offseason.

• Thanks 1

Move on to happier things. DETROIT owns the  yankees SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its debatable who has is worst Offense in Baseball, The Pirates, The Tigers, The Road Rockies or The Yankees.

2 minutes ago, mks said:

Move on to happier things. DETROIT owns the  yankees SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its debatable who has is worst Offense in Baseball, The Pirates, The Tigers, The Road Rockies or The Yankees.

I approve of your choice to be happier!

Just now, tonycpsu said:

Not content with merely shredding Urias yesterday, the Giants open up an early 3-0 lead against Kershaw.

The Giants are a better team then the Dodgers and are tired of being disrespected by them. They will give them a complete beat them down.  3rd place Dodgers are over rated. and Mookie sucks balls

1 minute ago, mks said:

Its debatable who has is worst Offense in Baseball, The Pirates, The Tigers, The Road Rockies or The Yankees.

It's really not debatable, and there's no need to go to the road splits to prove it:

image.thumb.png.c0ffabc147ed1a43bfa86ce3ad9ff023.png

You're also giving the Brewers a free ride by not including them.

• Like 2

Just now, BMcP said:

I approve of your choice to be happier!

once I eject Snell from my team  for Johnny Cueto the happiness will be even greater. I just put in a Snell for Cueto trade to his owner just now. I wonder if he will accept it thou.

1 minute ago, mks said:

once I eject Snell from my team  for Johnny Cueto the happiness will be even greater. I just put in a Snell for Cueto trade to his owner just now. I wonder if he will accept it thou.

🤞🏻

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

It's really not debatable, and there's no need to go to the road splits to prove it:

image.thumb.png.c0ffabc147ed1a43bfa86ce3ad9ff023.png

You're also giving the Brewers a free ride by not including them.

On a Runs scored per gameb  ave bases they are one of the lowest scoring teams in baseball at 3.7 runs per game.  At a $500 Million dollar payroll. Not much value for your buck. All those stats in that chart matter little to me. Its simple do you score runs as a team or not and the yankees don.t scores runs and are right down there with the Tigers Mets Nats and Pirates at the bottom of teams runs per game ave.  

1 hour ago, mks said:

He won a CY award and dominated that yr so its not how he always has been.  I not saying he is has good has his CY year BUT you think he be better then this at least in short term spurts show some of the domination he did in his CY year BUt it never happens. Gets lit every game  with high pitch counts like clockwork. I am going to try to trade him for a Middle of the road pitcher like Robbie Ray, Steven Matz or Nathian Evoldi thou I don;t even know If I can even get anyone that good for him. Maybe I could get Johnny Cueto or a Mike Foltynewicz level pitcher for him. regardless I just don't want him on my team anymore. He will be one of the 1st names I scratch off my draft list next yr too. I will simply never draft him again .

Not to get too bench coachey but I wonder if you could deal him for a guy like Dylan Bundy, who is also struggling, but the metrics suggest should be better.

Or Luis Castillo, who seems like he’s just a mechanical tweak away from being good again.

Kind of trading your headache for someone else’s, but could pan out

11 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

some teams that punted sp are going to get snell and castillo for free. better hope better days arent ahead of those arms.

Snell will never pitch well again on the road.   At home you will still get 5 innings tops if your lucky.