NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Edward Olivares 2021 Outlook

Thanks for starting a thread.  I was gonna make one because I'm interested in his speed/power.  Don't know much about him other than  he was blocked in San Diego.  KC loves to run a lot.  Hopefully someone with something actually substantial Chimes in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tore it up in the minors for SD but was blocked and eventually traded to KC for Trevor Rosenthal after a very brief and poor showing in the bigs. Was thrown right into the lineup with KC and did decent. 2 hrs, .712 OPS, .274 AVG in 62 ABs. Nothing crazy. Numbers this year in 81 AAA at bats: 5hrs, 7sb, .395avg, and 1.127ops. AA in 2019: 18hrs, 35sb, .283avg, .801ops in 488 abs. Probably going to a guy with solid avg, speed and some decent pop. Could be a regular if the royals let him. He’s likely not going to be a league winner by any means but could be a solid contributor in avg/speed. I’m picking up where I have room. Should get an extended look with soler sucking and hurt. 

Edited by Csiebert5
  • Like 3

I’ve been monitoring him for a few weeks and posted a couple times about him in the minor league threads. I’ve added him in a boatload of 12 team, 5 outfielder leagues. He was the return in the deal that sent Rosenthal to the Padres. Here’s a good breakdown of him at the time of the trade: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.royalsreview.com/platform/amp/2020/8/31/21407470/reactions-to-the-trevor-rosenthal-edward-olivares-trade

He’s been one of the hottest players in triple A this year and he’s got an interesting blend of speed and power. I think he’ll get a shot to play everyday even if Soler’s injury turns out to be minor (which it sounds like it will). I think he’s a good add in deeper leagues and a guy to watch in shallow leagues.

• Like 4

They haven't actually placed Soler on IL yet or said much about his status, sent Carlos Hernandez down to make room for Olivares. He may only be in the lineup temporarily, but today was a start to making his case to stay up as a bench bat. Are they going to try him at other positions or is he OF only? Taylor has been pretty bad too. 

• Like 1

95th percentile sprint speed last year, but 0 for 2 on the basepaths in 101 MLB PAs isn't anything to write home about, and the success rate in the minors isn't promising, either. Might need to learn how to read pitchers and pick his spots, and would rather that learning process happen on someone else's squad. Deep league dart, I guess? Cedric Mullins upside, Nicky Lopez downside? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sporer (Fangraphs) has him in his most recent “watchlist” post - https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/10-watchlist-guys-vol-9/ and sees him as someone with enough talent to be a top 150 bat at some point. 

I had an easy drop and picked him up today. Excited to see what he can do and hoping he sees close to full time PA’s. He has very little left to prove at AAA.

I'm in...hits for average, power is comin', walks, nabbin bags, manager is confident in him, can take the job and run...Really like his skillset and he's been on the radar since San Diego and he's still young... if you lost an OF recently then Eddy O is a great replacement imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travis Burten said:

He looks FAST. If he can hit and walk, those steals could be very helpful. He doesn't look like he's got boatloads of power, but anything there would be great too. 

I Remember seeing him take BP in Spring Training this year. He looked like he was hitting the ball so soft. I wouldn’t doubt his EV would be towards the bottom of the league. I’m only basing this off visual observation, but you could definitely tell he was no where close to his teammates in that regard. Doesn’t mean he can’t run into a few. He did have 5 bombs already in AAA so I could possibly see him in the 10-15 range In the bigs in a full year. 

Where the heck does he play when Soler comes back?  Dozier is starting to hit so he might take up the DH spot.  Soler, B, and Taylor in the OF.

Dozier to 3B is a possibility with Soler to DH.

21 minutes ago, B&F said:

Where the heck does he play when Soler comes back?  Dozier is starting to hit so he might take up the DH spot.  Soler, B, and Taylor in the OF.

Dozier to 3B is a possibility with Soler to DH.

Soler is back.

but he sucks.

• Haha 1

Benintendi is the only Royals OF with a WRC+ north of 100. Royals still see themselves competing for a WC bid - if Olivares hits they find space for him - simple as that. 

12 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Dude was flying on that infield hit last night. I knew he was fast but not that fast.

Yeah dude's a roadrunner. The kind of speed that makes 1st to 3rd routine, bunt hit speed, and beloved SB speed. I'm firmly seeing how his discipline is, and his ability to work walks. 

Posted (edited)

was listening to a podcast and they are concerned with the fact that he seems to expand the zone.  

are their concerns unfounded?

[...] i took a flyer because of the speed, but is he going to be strikeout prone in the bigs?

Edited by tonycpsu

He was hitting almost 400 in tripleA which forced their hands to call him up. Bought the low…now he is going to the moon

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

was listening to a podcast and they are concerned with the fact that he seems to expand the zone.  

are their concerns unfounded?

[...] i took a flyer because of the speed, but is he going to be strikeout prone in the bigs?

The only time he's ever had a k rate above 20% was last year in the bigs and it was 24%

14% in the minors this year.

• Like 1

Given his speed and performance in AAA so far this year, there's little reason not to take a flier on him.  Offense has been hard to come by this season, so while I'm not going to declare him to be a savior of course, there's potential there for some solid value if he can hit even just around .270 or .280.

11 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

I Remember seeing him take BP in Spring Training this year. He looked like he was hitting the ball so soft. I wouldn’t doubt his EV would be towards the bottom of the league. I’m only basing this off visual observation, but you could definitely tell he was no where close to his teammates in that regard. Doesn’t mean he can’t run into a few. He did have 5 bombs already in AAA so I could possibly see him in the 10-15 range In the bigs in a full year. 

Yeah granted it's less than 150 AB's but he certainly hasn't shown that he hits the ball very hard:

Partial SeasonsProjectionsMinor LeaguesRegular MLB Seasons
Season Team Level GB/FB LD% GB% FB% IFFB% HR/FB IFH% BUH% Pull% Cent% Oppo% Soft% Med% Hard%
2014 TOR R 1.67 6.3% 58.6% 35.1% 20.5% 2.6%     49.2% 28.3% 22.5%      
2015 TOR R 0.76 10.2% 38.6% 51.1% 37.8% 6.7%     60.7% 18.0% 21.3%      
2016 TOR R 1.40 16.3% 48.8% 34.9% 13.3% 6.7%     63.6% 20.5% 15.9%      
2017 TOR A 1.12 16.4% 44.2% 39.4% 31.1% 12.9%     44.4% 28.7% 26.9%      
2017 TOR A+ 1.44 18.8% 47.9% 33.3% 12.5% 0.0%     49.0% 25.5% 25.5%      
2018 SDP A+ 1.34 18.5% 46.6% 34.9% 24.2% 8.1%     45.8% 24.5% 29.8%      
2019 SDP AA 1.21 25.5% 40.8% 33.8% 26.9% 13.8%     41.9% 29.3% 28.8%      
2020 2 Tms MLB 1.62 22.5% 47.9% 29.6% 9.5% 14.3% 8.8% 100.0% 45.8% 36.1% 18.1% 19.4% 55.6% 25.0%
2021 KCR AAA 1.12 20.9% 41.8% 37.3% 28.0% 20.0%     44.1% 22.1% 33.8%      
2021 KCR MLB 3.00 33.3% 50.0% 16.7% 0.0% 0.0% 33.3% 0.0% 50.0% 33.3% 16.7% 50.0% 33.3% 16.7%
Total - - - MLB 1.68 23.4% 48.1% 28.6% 9.1% 13.6% 10.8% 100.0% 46.2% 35.9% 17.9% 21.8% 53.8% 24.4%