NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 June Closer Thread

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Fry owners only have “Fry” to blame, not the manager..lol. He gave up a run allowing 2 hits and walking 2 in less than an inning and left with the bases loaded,  the manager was trying to win the game.  Wells wasn’t any better, but he had not given up a run over his last 12 innings before today.  Hell, Harvey even struggled today 🤣

I get that the manager was trying to win the game, but if Fry’s the closer, isn’t he the best option to get the 3rd out in the 9th?  He had given up a couple hits and walks, but also had gotten 2 outs and has great strikeout stuff 12.79 k/9 on the season, so you’d think the manager would let him work himself out of the jam he created.  Wells is a rookie with zero career saves with an ERA of 4.13, so not sure why Hyde would think he’s a better option to get the last out than Fry, who had been lights out over the last month (9.1 IP, 0.00 ERA and 0.86 WHIP).  

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Anyone see the Mariners game last night? What’s up with Kendall Graveman? He doesn’t seem to be digging any graves since coming back from Covid.

He’s given up a run in 3 out of 4 outings since coming back. He’s definitely not as sharp as he was pre-Covid. His spin rate on the sinker has been down a bit so perhaps he was a sticky substance guy. It could also be some lingering effects from Covid or a mechanical issue. Hard to say. Last night he fell behind Lowe 2-0 and left a sinker up and out over the plate and it got whacked. I own him in a bunch of leagues so I’ll be looking to bench him this upcoming week if I have another viable option.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cheppy said:

Anyone see the Mariners game last night? What’s up with Kendall Graveman? He doesn’t seem to be digging any graves since coming back from Covid.

His own?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, herschel said:

Or not.

They were playing in Pittsburgh and Clase's spot in the order came up in the top of the 9th. Who knows what would have happened if they were at home.

• Like 2

Fairbanks pitched a clean 9th with 2 Ks in a tie game today for the Rays.  Castillo came in for the 10th with the game still tied and gave up 4 runs (3 ER) to take the L.  Will be interesting to see who gets the next save opp for the Rays.  Knowing how Cash operates, it’ll probably be Feyereisen who hasn’t received a save opp in forever. 

41 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

Thoughts on R Iglesias? Given up an ER the last 4 outings, but today's game was first loss for him in a period of time. Still the closer or be concerned of next man up?

Still the closer just because nobody else in that pen is impressing. Mayers should be the threat but he’s been erratic. Watson and Cishek are old and declining.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Chatwood picked up the save for Toronto today. Was Romano unavailable? They're definitely going to be shopping for a closer but it's interesting if he's moving back into next man up territory.

I believe Romano was unavailable Sunday after throwing nearly 30 pitches over 2 long innings in Saturday’s game. I think Chatwood is indeed next in line for saves right now.