NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 June Closer Thread

34 minutes ago, B&F said:

I was going to ask why the hate with Sims in this thread.

No idea, he got absurdly unlucky early season and since then has been on an elite tear.  Peripherals were always good though even when he was getting unlucky (and the unlucky ness isn’t just with BABIP it was being put in bad situations like rain, Coors, etc)

53 minutes ago, B&F said:

I was going to ask why the hate with Sims in this thread.

...nope, not gonna do it...

1 hour ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Matter of opinion. Also don't forget the dbacks

That's at least 6 teams you're ignoring? Granted league size always determines what areas to chase, but I'd guess most owners don't have the luxury of ignoring 20+% of the teams in baseball.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

That's at least 6 teams you're ignoring? Granted league size always determines what areas to chase, but I'd guess most owners don't have the luxury of ignoring 20+% of the teams in baseball.

Yes. However I said I'm not chasing saves and will check out the RPs after trade deadline. In a saves and holds league....seperate categories.....I'm not bothering with saves.

13 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Yes. However I said I'm not chasing saves and will check out the RPs after trade deadline. In a saves and holds league....seperate categories.....I'm not bothering with saves.

Ah, gotcha. S&H leagues are awesome and definitely change the dynamics of things. In one of my S&H leagues I probably ignore a third of the closers. At least. In one of my other leagues it's no holds and blood for saves kind of situation and I've rostered some really ugly ratios to pick up those sweet, sweet, saves. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Ah, gotcha. S&H leagues are awesome and definitely change the dynamics of things. In one of my S&H leagues I probably ignore a third of the closers. At least. In one of my other leagues it's no holds and blood for saves kind of situation and I've rostered some really ugly ratios to pick up those sweet, sweet, saves. 

You don't even have to draft rp until your last so many picks. Plus you can add.

Chaffin, boxberger, ect.

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Closer Monkey has Holland in KC. I guess I agree.

Yeah I hate to agree too, its dumb but this was the way it was meant to be, they're out of the race so let the veteran get the stats and keep the arbitration costs down. Same situation as Bard in Colorado, I'd put 'em right next to one another; Holland nails a few down he'll be quite safe, bummer for ratios. Do you understand my defense of Bard now? Its virtually the same spot, they could go committee and Barlow is obviously the best pitcher there, but he also has more team control left. So its a feel good thing for people who remember the good old days of Holland in K.C.

Edited by Richard Kimble

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Yeah I hate to agree too, its dumb but this was the way it was meant to be, they're out of the race so let the veteran get the stats and keep the arbitration costs down. Same situation as Bard in Colorado, I'd put 'em right next to one another; Holland nails a few down he'll be quite safe, bummer for ratios. Do you understand my defense of Bard now? Its virtually the same spot, they could go committee and Barlow is obviously the best pitcher there, but he also has more team control left. So its a feel good thing for people who remember the good old days of Holland in K.C.

To the extent your defense of Bard had to do with his pitching ability, I’m still a bit lost

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Bard, I guess you can move the defcon dial back to 3 😉 as he blew a couple saves over the weekend, giving up a run each time I believe so they weren't blowups, but sandwiched between those outings, they also brought Tyler Kinley out for a vulture save when Bard was unavailable, which kind of says it all about how they feel about the pecking order behind Bard IMO.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

To the extent your defense of Bard had to do with his pitching ability, I’m still a bit lost

Was never about his ability just the general crappiness of that pen mainly. He's not entirely awful, he's a 4 ish ERA/1.3ish WHIP guy but still gets a lot of Ks. All of his struggles this season have seemingly come after stretches of inactivity, he gets rusty because they don't get save opps but gets into a groove with regular use

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Speaking of Bard, I guess you can move the defcon dial back to 3 😉 as he blew a couple saves over the weekend, giving up a run each time I believe so they weren't blowups, but sandwiched between those outings, they also brought Tyler Kinley out for a vulture save when Bard was unavailable, which kind of says it all about how they feel about the pecking order behind Bard IMO.

Kinley - while literally looking the part of a badass closer - is someone you want to stay far away from

• Like 1

NSS with a 4-0 lead, but Clase pitched inning 8 while Karinchak closed things out. Clase didn't blow his recent opportunities like he did to start the year - it seems they've just gone back to James being the closer. 

15 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

NSS with a 4-0 lead, but Clase pitched inning 8 while Karinchak closed things out. Clase didn't blow his recent opportunities like he did to start the year - it seems they've just gone back to James being the closer. 

I dont think this is correct.  I think Clase is just the fireballer or whatever the kids are calling the guy who comes in to face the tougher part of the lineup.

16 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Clase has 2 saves in his last 6 IP over the last 2 weeks.

Karinchak has 1 save in his last 8 IP over the last 2 weeks.

So this is just plain false.

15 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Clase has 2 saves in his last 6 IP over the last 2 weeks.

Karinchak has 1 save in his last 8 IP over the last 2 weeks.

So this is just plain false.

As a Clase owner, it's comical to watch the owners of each pitcher claim when they have the closer. Early in the year, Clase was better. The CLE used him in the higher leverage spots. In May, Clase showed some wear and they used Karinchak in the higher leverage spots. Karinchak has showed some wear in June and they have been using Clase in the more important spots. Karinchak's save the other night proved nothing. They used Clase for the heart of the order in the 8th and Karinchak got the save. Enjoy owning either guy but I'm thinking it will be this way all year unless one gets hurt.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

I was told Sims is on an elite tear and is one of the best relievers in the game? Maybe meant best out of all relievers with a 4+ ERA? 

I was being too generous, maybe best reliever with a 5+ ERA

• Haha 1