NBC Sports Edge Forums

For those still watching the Reds situation, Amir just allowed 4 earned runs in his lone inning of work. He also allowed his inherited runner to score. Turned a 5-3 deficit into a 10-3 game. This team is a disaster.

• Like 1
  • Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neris still manages to find ways to blow saves after no longer being the closer

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Lourdes hits a HR in the 8th to ruin the save opportunity for Romano, now pitching the 9th in a NSS. Jordan is unquestionably the guy for Jays at this point, as Dolis  worked & struck out the side in the 8th.

Edited by Richard Kimble
33 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

For those still watching the Reds situation, Amir just allowed 4 earned runs in his lone inning of work. He also allowed his inherited runner to score. Turned a 5-3 deficit into a 10-3 game. This team is a disaster.

And if you’re still rostering Amir Garrett, wake up man, season started 2 months ago.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Who?

Cole Sulser has unbelievable numbers this year (31 ks in 19.2 innings, 1.83 ERA/0.97 WHIP) and was closer for part of last season in Baltimore, like a week though. He can absolutely be a stud fantasy closer, I actually ran to grab him for Soto in a league that has K/BB as a category and I just needed this to push me over the edge. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Looks like Fry maybe unavailable pitching the last 2 days so Sulser with the save opp tonight 

This is unreal. The orioles haven’t had a save opp for what seems like almost a month and Fry has been talked up by the manager in some post game press conferences as someone he trusts to get the last three outs of the game.  So of course Sulser gets the first save after Exxon Valdez actually created the opportunity by giving up a run in the 8th to get it to 3 runs.  I’ve been rostering Fry for almost two weeks based on the tea leaves and this thread, do we think Sulser is the better bet going forward for saves?  I don’t have two roster spots open, so have to make the call on which RP to go with.  This doesn’t even take into account that Harvey is due back in a week.  What a cluster. 

Edited by swingbatter
9 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Cole Sulser has unbelievable numbers this year (31 ks in 19.2 innings, 1.83 ERA/0.97 WHIP) and was closer for part of last season in Baltimore, like a week though. He can absolutely be a stud fantasy closer, I actually ran to grab him for Soto in a league that has K/BB as a category and I just needed this to push me over the edge. 

Fry has basically the same numbers.  31 Ks in 20.0 IP, 2.25 ERA and 0.95 WHIP. 

Posted (edited)

They've lost 14 straight games prior to tonight. Players stop changing their socks and showering during these kinds of streaks. They're not going to shift away from the one thing that finally broke the streak. I hate to be so reactive, but we've seen plenty of (bad) teams just go with the guy who settles things down with the key save. This was my argument for Doolittle having a shot to run with it earlier in the year with the Reds, and he never really got the one clean chance or he just blew it I can't remember. Same situation.

Edited by Richard Kimble
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Clase was probably unavailable after working two straight. If there’s a save opportunity tomorrow it’ll likely go to him. After that, who knows?

I don’t think he was unavailable because when Abreu was up during that last AB the announcers said Clase was up in the pen throwing 

11 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

I don’t have two roster spots open, so have to make the call on which RP to go with

I would just hang onto Fry though, I do see this as a committee again and they could go another 14 games without  a save chance, or the next one goes to Fry and you've dropped him for Sulser and you want to jump off a bridge. That's why it's such a messy situation.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Blandino had about as good of an outing, and Mike Freeman struck out the only batter he faced. They should call on either guy ahead of Amir Garrett at this point no matter what the score.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
54 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

And if you’re still rostering Amir Garrett, wake up man, season started 2 months ago.

As long as the Reds inexplicably keep toying with the idea of him pitching ninth innings, he's sadly relevant in larger formats. Hopefully the team will finally acknowledge reality and stop trying to make Amir happen.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

For the Diego Castillo fans out there, Feyereisen came in for the 8th of a tie game tonight.  

Too bad they couldn't take the lead so Feyereisen would get the 2 inning save. I actually think there is a decent chance you would have seen it had he not walked Judge in the 8th inning with a very low pitch inning. There's an edge to sending out a guy most of the Yankees have never seen-another reason why I liked Feyereisen in the role. We can always imagine what we want to happen, but usually you use your best pitcher in the 8th on the road in a tie game, and they want to crush the Yankees spirit right now. That being said, Castillo is well rested so he should be good to go for tomorrow in a save spot. 

29 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Too bad they couldn't take the lead so Feyereisen would get the 2 inning save. I actually think there is a decent chance you would have seen it had he not walked Judge in the 8th inning with a very low pitch inning. There's an edge to sending out a guy most of the Yankees have never seen-another reason why I liked Feyereisen in the role. We can always imagine what we want to happen, but usually you use your best pitcher in the 8th on the road in a tie game, and they want to crush the Yankees spirit right now. That being said, Castillo is well rested so he should be good to go for tomorrow in a save spot. 

Never heard that one before.

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

Never heard that one before.

Not every team has Aroldis Chapman they use only in the 9th, so good managers often would rather put their most trusted pitcher out there in a tie game to give their offense a chance, and if they take the lead in the 9th they can send him back out to finish or go with a fresher arm or play matchups. You also don't want to face Chapman behind or its over and done. The Yankees will stubbornly refuse to put Chapman in the game in the extra inning, free-runner scenario, as they did tonight, unless he has the lead-he pitched the 9th and came out after. I'm wondering if they would have let him go a 2nd inning had they scored in the 10th in a game they needed so badly  This is what is really frustrating when it comes to owning the Daniel Bards and Cesar Valdez types of the world; when the team is struggling and they aren't getting any action, they get rusty, have a blow-up outing and lose their jobs. Bard had multiple bad appearances just to get work in NSS earlier this season, but has weathered it and now appears to be getting on a roll. Valdez went the other way. Anyway pitching in the 8th on leads to extra vulture wins, of course.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Not every team has Aroldis Chapman they use only in the 9th, so good managers often would rather put their most trusted pitcher out there in a tie game to give their offense a chance, and if they take the lead in the 9th they can send him back out to finish or go with a fresher arm or play matchups.

Isn’t it normal for road teams to save their closer for the time when they actually take the lead? Or bring them in during the bottom of the ninth to insure they go to extras (Kennedy today)
Chapman pitched the 9th today cause that’s what closers do when the home team is tied in the 9th. If they scored in the 10th they would just win. Bard did the same. Because there won’t be a save opportunity anymore. 

Im actually struggling to find examples where teams have been on the road and brought their best reliever in during the 8th in a tied game. 

Edited by tristan0823
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, tristan0823 said:

Im actually struggling to find examples where teams have been on the road and brought their best reliever in during the 8th in a tied game. 

I’m pretty sure that by “usually” he meant almost never. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, rockmastermike said:

I see the blurb about Hunter Harvey returning for the O's.....is he the one closer in Balt to rule them all?

If he can ever stay healthy maybe. He makes Byron Buxton look like Cal Ripken. But the talent is there for sure.