NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 June Closer Thread

14 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Velo isn't Chapman's issue, I don't think. It's control. A 4 pitch walk with the bases loaded to the Royals back up catcher? I think SBS is right, he has no idea where the ball is going without the sticky. Very alarming, I am hoping he can figure it out quick.

I think it would take a very prolonged meltdown for him to hit the disgraced list or outright lose the job, but let's just say that somehow happens. Is the next man up Britton?

24 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I think it would take a very prolonged meltdown for him to hit the disgraced list or outright lose the job, but let's just say that somehow happens. Is the next man up Britton?

Yes.

They would never Disgraceful List Chapman, but he’s definitely next in line.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Yes.

They would never Disgraceful List Chapman, but he’s definitely next in line.

i know britton has the experience, but green has been pretty impressive and britton is still fairly fresh off of an injury.  i honestly havent being paying attention since britton got back, but is he pitching the 8th now ahead of chapman?

14 minutes ago, herschel said:

i know britton has the experience, but green has been pretty impressive and britton is still fairly fresh off of an injury.  i honestly havent being paying attention since britton got back, but is he pitching the 8th now ahead of chapman?

It’s the way Boone wants things lined up, yes

• Like 2

Garrett holds the Reds lead at 2-1 in the seventh. Be interesting to see if they turn to Antone in the eighth and maybe leave him out there for two if all goes well. 

32 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Garrett holds the Reds lead at 2-1 in the seventh. Be interesting to see if they turn to Antone in the eighth and maybe leave him out there for two if all goes well. 

Antone pitched the eighth but gave up 2 runs (1 earned). 3 hits, 1 walk and 1 strikeout. Wasn't remotely sharp, and threw 27 pitches. Whoever pitches the ninth, this bullpen is a disaster, but I'm at least kind of interested in Hembree that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I’m betting the intention was for Antone  to pitch the 8th and 9th, but he struggled and threw too many pitches in the 8th. Just his second outing off the IL.

• Like 1

Yeah antone just returned and pitched both games since his return…that is no excuse as he sucks now without spider tackle 

11 minutes ago, herschel said:

And Karinchak is in.

I don't really get that.  I know Karinchak has gotten the last couple, but he turned back to Clase before that for a few weeks and he was really good for the most part.  Clase also hasn't allowed a baserunner in his last 5 appearances, but he's gone back to Karinchak for literally no apparent reason for their last 2 save opps.  Frustrating...

"This might have been a two-inning save for Antone had he been sharp, but he really wasn't in facing eight batters in the eighth. Since he threw 27 pitches, he shouldn't be available on Friday. That would put Lucas Sims in better position to earn a save.

I guess this blurb writer missed the memo. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

When are the Marlins going to give the closing gig to Anthony Bender?

After the trade Floro and Garcia, why are you asking questions you already know the answer to?

Edit-Not tryna be snarky lol; I'm already certain he'll be a heavy late round target of mine next year. I kind of want to keep his profile low til then, but I expect Bender will be talked up quite a bit between now and then.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

When are the Marlins going to give the closing gig to Anthony Bender?

Again, I have to ask the thread, what is wrong with Yimi Garcia?  2.89 ERA, 1.07 WHIP.  He's been pretty good (knock on wood, knock on wood).