NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 June Closer Thread

5 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Brach has actually been pretty good for a nice stretch before giving up the run today..hadn’t given up an earned run in 12 out of his last 13 appearances 

Very true but is there any reason to think that at age 35 and after not being any good in a few years that he’ll suddenly be good over the rest of the season? 

Just now, meh2 said:

Very true but is there any reason to think that at age 35 and after not being any good in a few years that he’ll suddenly be good over the rest of the season? 

Hard to say in this crazy game…and it’s not like anyone else is standing out in that pen..lol

Just now, swingbatter said:

Garrett with the save.  Anyone taking the plunge? 

“Plunge” is an apt term for it.

• Haha 5

Might as well just eliminate the Save category next season with so many teams having committees, with some for no reason when they already have a good option.  It's already become frustrating enough over the last few seasons, with offense becoming a disaster.  Having no idea who will get the next save opportunity for well over half the league now is beyond annoying.

Cisnero getting a random save opportunity yesterday defies logic.  So does Cleveland's usage when he goes back to Clase and he does great, only for him to randomly go back to Karinchak the next week.

• Like 2

I see the “get rid of saves because of committees” comment made over and over and I don’t get it.  
NFL has gone massive RB by committee…did leagues just stop drafting RBs? No, the elite bell cows hold a ton of value, and everyone is in the same boat regarding committees and the division of production. So, who cares?  
How is this any different? I own Clase and Taylor Rogers. They are worth it because they get the occasional save AND good ratios. Others may not be, and we all have to weigh that for our team. Every team in the league has to weigh the same things.  
Fantasy baseball doesn’t have to be as simple as possible. Draft a team and plug in guys until the AS break. These extra wrinkles should be seen as fun (sometimes) challenges that we can use our knowledge, and often this thread, to have a leg up on our competitors.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I see the “get rid of saves because of committees” comment made over and over and I don’t get it.  

Because they have been hurt and their grief and sadness makes them turn away from the source of that pain. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Because they have been hurt and their grief and sadness makes them turn away from the source of that pain. 

True. And I’m saying

spacer.png

Is it frustrating? Sure. It can be. But it’s not an impossible workaround. It comes off as, “I’m not as great at drafting and acquiring guys who get saves as others in my league, so I need to add holds to the category to give me a fighting chance.”  
Enjoy the chase 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Denbo32 said:

Or maybe it time for the elite closers to have value and not punt the position and play waiver wire roulette 

Elite closers DO have value. Hader, Hendriks, Melancon probably have even more value. You actually lessen their value a ton if you turn to a S/H category.  So confused by this comment. 

From a fantasy standpoint, I love the strategy of saves. Decisions about when to draft stud closers, how to value committee guys, whether to gamble on a bad pitcher with a clear chance to close, etc. make the game more fun and interesting.

The only reason I’d get rid of them is that they turn otherwise knowledgeable fans into morons when it comes to bullpen usage.

Put a closer in to protect a 4-run lead in the 9th against the heart of a strong lineup - “OMG so dumb not a save situation!” Don’t bring him in for a 3-run lead against the bottom of a terrible lineup - “OMG where is the closer?”

Same goes for tie games, fireman situations, specific L/R matchups, etc. The save statistic doesn’t define the best way to use a bullpen in all situations, but people let fantasy implications mess with their heads.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Elite closers DO have value. Hader, Hendriks, Melancon probably have even more value. You actually lessen their value a ton if you turn to a S/H category.  So confused by this comment. 

He was agreeing with you dude. He was saying that people should focus on elite closers instead of chasing saves on the WW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

NFL has gone massive RB by committee…did leagues just stop drafting RBs? No, the elite bell cows hold a ton of value, and everyone is in the same boat regarding committees and the division of production. So, who cares?  
How is this any different? I own Clase and Taylor Rogers. They are worth it because they get the occasional save AND good ratios. Others may not be, and we all have to weigh that for our team. Every team in the league has to weigh the same things.  
Fantasy baseball doesn’t have to be as simple as possible. Draft a team and plug in guys until the AS break. These extra wrinkles should be seen as fun (sometimes) challenges that we can use our knowledge, and often this thread, to have a leg up on our competitors.

The voice of reason in this thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

True. And I’m saying

spacer.png

Is it frustrating? Sure. It can be. But it’s not an impossible workaround. It comes off as, “I’m not as great at drafting and acquiring guys who get saves as others in my league, so I need to add holds to the category to give me a fighting chance.”  
Enjoy the chase 🤷🏽‍♂️

I mean, that's easy to say, but bad closers crossed the line first.  They squeezed us and hammered us to the point of desperation.

Can you blame us if in our desperation we turned to relievers we didn't fully understand?

I, for one, am ready to burn down the forest.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I mean, that's easy to say, but bad closers crossed the line first.  They squeezed us and hammered us to the point of desperation.

Can you blame us if in our desperation we turned to relievers we didn't fully understand?

I, for one, am ready to burn down the forest.

(Psst: I’m afraid you’ve wandered into the wrong set, Dark One...)

• Haha 1