• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neris still manages to find ways to blow saves after no longer being the closer

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

holland is above zimmer, and middleton will be irrelavent once Grave-digger finally comes back from Covid

I disagree with this but hear me out.

Graveman will get saves. However, since he’s the silver bullet of that bullpen they will also pitch him whenever they are in the most crucial moments of the game. Therefore they will need someone to play the “Montero role” (pitcher that pitches the 9th for saves when graveman has been used) since Montero sucks too much for that. Middleton has had the best showing for it and I wouldn’t be surprised if he still had a 40/60 split with graveman as long as he’s pitching well.

If that scenario happens, to me that’s a higher ranking than the royals splitting the pie three or four ways.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, willie24 said:

Anyone know when Graverman RP for Mariners is coming back??  

• Like 1

Barlow going for a 2 inning save in KC after the Royals used Zimmer in the 5th, and Jakob Junis in the 7th, its time to move him behind Holland on the committee list. As confusing as the situation has been, just imagine if the top three pitchers in the hierarchy were Zuber, Bubic and Junis. Those three last names are so similar I can't even say them 5 times fast without screwing up. Try it. You won't be able to do it.

14 minutes ago, herschel said:

If the reds can hold on to this lead, looks like they are going to Amir again in the 9th (or sims for 2 innings).

Sims for 2. I genuinely would let a position player or a random fan in the stands pitch before giving Amir another save opp, but thats just me

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, herschel said:

If the reds can hold on to this lead, looks like they are going to Amir again in the 9th (or sims for 2 innings).

Sims appears to be going for the two inning save. Back out to start the ninth.

Wow got mad lucky on a DP off a didnt-mean-to dribbler in front of the plate

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Wow got mad lucky on a DP off a didnt-mean-to dribbler in front of the plate

Also got mad unlucky with a perfect bunt hit the previous play.  Cancels out imho

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Also got mad unlucky with a perfect bunt hit the previous play.  Cancels out imho

One out cancels out an easy two?!

Even if you feel like a bunt is an auto-out, which it isn’t, it does not portend well if people are bunting perfectly for singles against your closer.

Edited by BMcP

Saves are easy let's be honest. The Reds situation might finally be calming down, because these things usually do, as far as the roles and performances evening out over time. Daniel Bard just fired off 3 straight scoreless outings before being unavailable today. Even before the current era of dominant bullpens, most teams had a reliable guy at the end of the pen because it's actually a pretty easy gig. Any reliever on a major league staff should be able to handle a 2 or 3 run lead more than 90 percent of the time, and those make up just as many of the opportunities as 1 run leads. So the teams like the Reds and Jays who just haven't been getting opportunities, for one reason or another, are beginning to bear fruit for the dedicated managers who stuck with them. Kudos to them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Overlord said:

oreally.jpg

Aww man...you know when you have like limited information on the box score of a game? I knew that Hernandez had pitched 5 innings and left with a 3-1 lead. When I saw this post I thought it just meant a Yimi Garcia save, not realizing it was a Floro blowup inning that inspired it. Yimi's safe, anyway, one BS isn't gonna cost him the job. Floro could fall behind someone like Bender (12 scoreless innings to start his career) or Bass if he struggles again. 

30 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Saves are easy let's be honest. The Reds situation might finally be calming down, because these things usually do, as far as the roles and performances evening out over time. Daniel Bard just fired off 3 straight scoreless outings before being unavailable today. Even before the current era of dominant bullpens, most teams had a reliable guy at the end of the pen because it's actually a pretty easy gig. Any reliever on a major league staff should be able to handle a 2 or 3 run lead more than 90 percent of the time, and those make up just as many of the opportunities as 1 run leads. So the teams like the Reds and Jays who just haven't been getting opportunities, for one reason or another, are beginning to bear fruit for the dedicated managers who stuck with them. Kudos to them.

The Bard’s Tale has been a sad story - but he is happy somewhere to hear you talking him up!  Three straight appearances without allowing a run?  Call it!

44 minutes ago, BMcP said:

One out cancels out an easy two?!

Even if you feel like a bunt is an auto-out, which it isn’t, it does not portend well if people are bunting perfectly for singles against your closer.

A guy dropping a surprise perfect bunt isn’t an indication against the pitcher.  There’s nothing you can do about it 

1 minute ago, Fbaseballgod said:

A guy dropping a surprise perfect bunt isn’t an indication against the pitcher.  There’s nothing you can do about it 

Look, I wish you the best with Sims - you definitely deserve it as you seem to be his resident hype-man.  But he doesn’t look like a closer to me - he just hasn’t passed the eye test for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, BMcP said:

Look, I wish you the best with Sims - you definitely deserve it as you seem to be his resident hype-man.  But he doesn’t look like a closer to me - he just hasn’t passed the eye test for me.

Who in that bullpen passes your eye test? Antone, maybe? Opportunity is the name of the game when we're chasing saves. Sims appears to have that, and the only other viable option is used as a multi inning fireman. This team is too terrible to go trade for a closer. We've lusted after much worse talents than Sims in these threads.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Who in that bullpen passes your eye test? Antone, maybe? Opportunity is the name of the game when we're chasing saves. Sims appears to have that, and the only other viable option is used as a multi inning fireman. This team is too terrible to go trade for a closer. We've lusted after much worse talents than Sims in these threads.

Outside of Antone?  No one, as discussed.  I never claimed Sims didn’t seem most likely to play the part for now - I just said his performance thus far does not bode well for success - or for your ratios if you own him.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:40 PM, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Jp would be my first choice. The rest is desperation.

Fry has been good.  32 K's in 21.2 innings with a 2.08 ERA and 1.02 WHIP. 

On 6/3/2021 at 5:06 PM, willie24 said:

Anyone know when Graverman RP for Mariners is coming back??  

What meh2 said above.  But also we don't know for sure if it was a simple quarantine because of contact tracing or if he actually had covid do we?  If the latter it could have some effect on the player coming back.  Or a lot in the case of E-Rod last year.  He hasn't been the same pitcher since.