NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Patrick Wisdom 2021 Outlook

25 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

na from what i've seen his trade value is still trash

might as well ride it out

Sure...nowhere in the fantasy universe is there some manager struggling in HRs that won't send you a decent pitcher or a middle infielder for this guyūüôĄ¬†and as I said, this is a sell high moment. I'm not saying ask for something unreasonable, but you can't get something if you don't ask.¬†

Why are all the Yermin owners who said 'ride it out' so panicked, and wishing they had made trade offers earlier in the year? Yet Mercedes has a better path to PT than Wisdom going forward, despite the hot streak. This is an off-day with few games, and if you have a chance to look at standings and target the right teams you can get something for this guy today. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Sure...nowhere in the fantasy universe is there some manager struggling in HRs that won't send you a decent pitcher or a middle infielder for this guyūüôĄ¬†and as I said, this is a sell high moment. I'm not saying ask for something unreasonable, but you can't get something if you don't ask.¬†

Why are all the Yermin owners who said 'ride it out' so panicked, and wishing they had made trade offers earlier in the year? Yet Mercedes has a better path to PT than Wisdom going forward, despite the hot streak. This is an off-day with few games, and if you have a chance to look at standings and target the right teams you can get something for this guy today. 

I'd love to see some scenarios for which he is involved in... this teeters into bench coach territory, though. If I actually saw posts over there that had to do with Wisdom... forum is dead anyway, but I would be curious to see scenarios for him right now. I think most people are going to be afraid of the obvious regression. And CI isn't a dead spot this year. I don't know why someone would deal a MI (lesser position with less to choose from) for a CI with his pedigree. CI can actually be found on the wire in deep leagues still....good luck with MI. (Go Jurickson Profar!)

Once the home runs slow down, his average is going to start to drop. One thing I can say that I like about him is he hits the ball hard... but it won't always find the holes when it isn't reaching the stands.

Edited by nlm

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, nlm said:

I'd love to see some scenarios for which he is involved in... this teeters into bench coach territory, though. If I actually saw posts over there that had to do with Wisdom... forum is dead anyway, but I would be curious to see scenarios for him right now. I think most people are going to be afraid of the obvious regression. And CI isn't a dead spot this year. I don't know why someone would deal a MI (lesser position with less to choose from) for a CI with his pedigree. CI can actually be found on the wire in deep leagues still....good luck with MI. (Go Jurickson Profar!)

Once the home runs slow down, his average is going to start to drop. One thing I can say that I like about him is he hits the ball hard... but it won't always find the holes when it isn't reaching the stands.

These are the guys you just play until they start to stink unless you get one of the few people who will pay too much.

Similar to marcades with the white Sox.

Edited by ChrisChinMcCaffrey
  • Like 1

Wisdom, 29, hit two home runs in the Cubs' 4-3 win...giving him seven long balls in his first eight starts with his new team. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only Cincinnati Reds outfielder Aristides Aquino and Colorado Rockies shortstop Trevor Story have hit that many in their first eight games with a team.

I'm just saying between the two, he definitely looks more Aquino than Story. Maybe you're right smart managers aren't going for it, but there are plenty of people with injuries piled up and falling down in the standings who need to take a risk or two. I'm enjoying the story as a Cubs fan but looking to be very opportunistic as a manager. Sell sell sell!

Posted (edited)

I sent a team that's desperate for offense an offer for Gleybar. I truly don't even think he blinks at it before he declines. And then you have to ask yourself: is it even worth making an offer when you may end up getting to ride the hot hand a little longer? I don't even think Gleybar is a top-200 player at the end of the year,  but he'd represent insurance at a position of need and scarcity. MI compared to CI... it's just a lot different and harder to fill out. I know not every league uses CI and MI options, but a lot do.

I think the best anyone can get for Wisdom right now might be a setup man/MR if you're in league that counts holds or is svs+hlds. Other than that, you're not going to have many teams lining up to take a chance IMO.... unless you know the managers and talk to certain ones or trade often with certain guys, I don't see him being very tradeable right now. Marisnick might be back tonight as well. Duffy and Hoerner are both with the team. It's just a numbers game at a certain point.

Edited by nlm

Forget everything I said, just ride or die. I'm not even sure I'd take Luke Voit for him at this point lol...the main thing I took away from last night, aside from the standard HR he hit, was his defense. He made a bunch of really strong plays in the field, and at this point, they'll just have to make room for him, even if it means Jason Heyward has to ride the bench. Part of what made me nervous was being reminded about Donnie Murphy in the box scores. He was a journeyman 30-year old who had a similar early season HR explosion for the 2013 Cubs, and I remember kind of watching his HR total climb up around 10, 11, and knowing he was going to completely disappear at a moment's notice. He did. This doesn't feel like the same situation, despite the similarity on the surface. For one thing, this version of the Cubs is good and not a tank job like the 2013 version. Interesting side note-Donnie Murphy is now the class A manager of the Dunedin Blue Jays affiliate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Forget everything I said, just ride or die. I'm not even sure I'd take Luke Voit for him at this point lol...the main thing I took away from last night, aside from the standard HR he hit, was his defense. He made a bunch of really strong plays in the field, and at this point, they'll just have to make room for him, even if it means Jason Heyward has to ride the bench. Part of what made me nervous was being reminded about Donnie Murphy in the box scores. He was a journeyman 30-year old who had a similar early season HR explosion for the 2013 Cubs, and I remember kind of watching his HR total climb up around 10, 11, and knowing he was going to completely disappear at a moment's notice. He did. This doesn't feel like the same situation, despite the similarity on the surface. For one thing, this version of the Cubs is good and not a tank job like the 2013 version. Interesting side note-Donnie Murphy is now the class A manager of the Dunedin Blue Jays affiliate. 

i respect this

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Takes wisdom to admit you were wrong.

• Haha 5

BAIBIP of .412 (league average .300), with a hard hit rate of 72% (... league average is 35% ...!!!!) and a preposterous barrel rate of 36% (league average is 6-9%).

This guy is basically as on fire as it is possible to be!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

BAIBIP of .412 (league average .300), with a hard hit rate of 72% (... league average is 35% ...!!!!) and a preposterous barrel rate of 36% (league average is 6-9%).

This guy is basically as on fire as it is possible to be!!!

You forgot 50% HR/FB...

Full on beer league softball legend this year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, posty said:

Yeah I am bummed...  Wasted my waiver #3 pick to get him...  Blah since then...

Of course as soon as I cut him, he will go off...

If he plays. Looks to be the odd man out with reasonable team health. Needs another injury, sadly.

Golden sombrero tonight including one of the worst at bats I've seen against Karinchak with two runners on in the ninth. Back to back walks for the two hitters before him and he comes up swinging as hard as he can down 4 runs with the potential tying run on deck if he can just get on base. If you were waiting to drop him you can definitely go ahead now

• Like 1

Hitting a HR tonight was the best way to respond to yesterday's sombrero. This guy can provide the power if they give him a chance to play everyday. Now it sure looked like they were going to squeeze him out of the rotation pretty quickly, but the more he keeps hitting, the more he'll force them to write his name in the lineup. They have to know by now that him at 3B right now is their best overall lineup. Plenty of the managers that had him for the hot streak have already moved on to the next flavor of the month, and if you can find him out there he's still a nice speculative add. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Sigh...

Since I have him rostered (and starting), he has gone 11/60 (.183), 4 HR, 9 RBI, 7 runs and struck out 29 times...  OBP is .246 as well...

Why am I still holding on to him?

ūü§Ę

Edited by posty

18 hours ago, posty said:

Sigh...

Since I have him rostered (and starting), he has gone 11/60 (.183), 4 HR, 9 RBI, 7 runs and struck out 29 times...  OBP is .246 as well...

Why am I still holding on to him?

ūü§Ę

you lack wisdom?

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's looking like a decent bet ROS for HR and RBI production, firmly entrenched as the cleanup hitter and new face of the franchise after Black Friday. He's responding well, hitting .400 in the past 9 games, with 3 R, 2 HR, 7 RBI, and cutting his strikeouts in half to a more acceptable 22% in that short sample. He won't hit much better than .250 but not a bad option for a bench/corner bat. Even with all the lost star power, conventional....logic....says the Cubs will still score runs, and Patrick will knock many of them in.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 4