NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Michael Carter 2021 Outlook

Yeah, I know...it's the Jests. But, hey...maybe they'll actually be somewhat competent this season with Zach Wilson at the helm? Can't be much worse than they have been, that's for sure. I also know the backfield is crowded, but non are special talents IMO. Anyway...been reading some recent blurbs about him impressing in OTA's. Keep an eye on him in TC and pre-season. He could emerge.

After observing Wednesday's OTA, The Athletic's Connor Hughes believes "it won't be long before" fourth-rounder Michael Carter is the Jets' lead back.

Carter has consistently drawn praise from ace beat writer Hughes, who continues to highlight the rookie's playmaking ability and elusiveness out of the backfield. While Tevin Coleman has been working as the starter in team drills, Carter got the initial reps in individual work. It's been Carter, Coleman, and Ty Johnson working with the Zach Wilson group at OTAs, while La'Mical Perine and Josh Adams mix in with the twos and threes. Carter is the running back to target from the Jets in fantasy drafts.

Source: The Athletic
Jun 2, 2021, 5:17 PM ET

I'm very intrigued by Carter and I think that the Jets in general will have some undervalued offensive pieces. I'm a big Denzel Mims fan as well.

As long as Wilson doesn't crash and burn there is potential here. The O Line is improved and should be a steady unit. Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Elijah Moore and (maybe) Crowder is enough of a receiver corps to keep defenses honest.

My guess is that Coleman is the starter/lead back Week 1. But it's Tevin Coleman, so Carter's path to fantasy value is pretty unobstructed. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Love this guy. Always thought he was the better of the two UNC guys. Can’t wait to draft him. I bet he has a better year than swift.. who will probably have a good year. 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

As a late round flyer/ bench stash, yeah why not.  But if his name gets too much preseason buzz, he might cost too much.

I don't think the Jets have much proven talent at the offensive skill positions but with Gase gone I think they can only get better

I agree tough that Coleman is the starter here.  That is, until he gets hurt....

Edited by nk2333

31 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

THIS SEASON'S JROB 💃

hop on, or you'll be shining my shoes ...

juiCUd.gif

JRob was a waiver wire pickup for many people, Carter won’t sneak up on people like that. 

you think he is a 1,000 yard RB as a rookie?

I can’t even remember the last relevant NYJ RB. The older Matt Forte?

12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

JRob was a waiver wire pickup for many people, Carter won’t sneak up on people like that. 

HYPE TRAIN, MEET PENELOPE PITSTOP! 

(good point, i just meant it in the "whodathunkit?" sense).

13 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

yes. 

i'll set it at 1,007 - the extra game helps. 

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

51jILbSgWPL._AC_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Depends how you define "relevant," but I would say the last relevant RB we had was probably Thomas Jones or Chris Ivory.  

Forte, LT, Powell were serviceable as well.  

Edited by Fort4242

• 1 month later...

Jets' Michael Carter: Earns coach's praise

Carter has impressed head coach Robert Saleh so far, Ethan Greenberg of the Jets' official site reports. "Michael's got tremendous vision," Saleh said. "He's got tremendous speed, burst. He's got the ability to make people miss. He's good on third down, coming out of the backfield in the pass game, and he's pretty stout in protection."

Saleh's praise of Carter's ability in pass protection is especially notable, as a lack of that skill often limits young running backs' playing time. The rookie fourth-round pick may not have the size to take on a workhorse role at 5-foot-8 and 201 pounds, but Carter could work as the Jets' third-down back from from the get-go. Having averaged 8.0 yards per carry at UNC last season, Carter has the highest ceiling in the crowded Jets backfield, and Greenberg points out that Carter has played in an outside-zone rushing scheme since high school, making him an excellent fit for offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur's scheme.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:51 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Curtis Martin LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

5'8 200 pounds.  Basically he's not big enough to be a 3 down back in the NFL.  I'm not spending $7 on a third down back.  Even if/when Coleman gets hurt I can't imagine this guy getting 15+ carries a game.

I think CMC is only 205 and at 5’11 

2 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

5'8 200 pounds.  Basically he's not big enough to be a 3 down back in the NFL.  I'm not spending $7 on a third down back.  Even if/when Coleman gets hurt I can't imagine this guy getting 15+ carries a game.

Ray Rice was 5'8.

3 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

Justin Forsett is probably a better comp - 5'8", 195 pounds.  Closer tier ADP / borderline bum, but provided sneaky value given circumstance and opportunity.

plenty of recent examples of smaller backs having good years or even great careers

Warrick Dunn was only 185 lbs 

tiki barber 205 lbs

Brian Westbrook 202 lbs

Steve slayton 195lbs

Chris Johnson’s 195 lbs

Reggie bush 205 lbs

Jamaal Charles 199 lbs

Ahmad Bradshaw 195lbs

devonta freeman 205 lbs

phillip Lindsay 190 lbs

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 7/22/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mustangt125 said:

Aaron Jones is 5'9 208lbs

• Like 1

I personally believe the smaller backs are better RBs most of the time they just tend to not have the durability to have long careers. But for actual football I love the 49ers approach of just having a litany of smaller fast explosive backs that are easily replaced rather than one exceptional 225lb stud that’s hard to find and often gets hurt also. 

most of these smaller backs have receiving backgrounds too so you can line them up all over the field. And never know who is getting it, if it’s a run or A pass. Many advantages. 

• Like 1

I don’t want anything to do with the jets. However, this kid has incredible vision, burst, and quickness. No clue what his work load will look like, but I think he’s going to be like rookie David Johnson where the Jets realize around mid season they just gotta give the kid the damn ball. I might take a plunge in redraft, what’s his ADP currently? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I don’t want anything to do with the jets. However, this kid has incredible vision, burst, and quickness. No clue what his work load will look like, but I think he’s going to be like rookie David Johnson where the Jets realize around mid season they just gotta give the kid the damn ball. I might take a plunge in redraft, what’s his ADP currently? 

pick 81 In PPR rb 30

1 hour ago, Mustangt125 said:

And is more of the exception than the rule.  

I had to re-read your original reply to see that you are expecting 15+ carries for value, probably where i'd say the disconnect is.  Of the top 50 RBs last year (even in standard scoring), i count only 10 that averaged over 15 carries a game, and only about half the top 10.  LOL, so yeah, I don't disagree Michael Carter may not average a top 10 per game carry workload. 

Recent/current RBs of similar stature providing 'ok' value:

Ekeler

CEH

Chase Edmonds

Darrell Henderson

Tarik Cohen

Phillip Lindsay

Guess I'll stay away from Ekeler because he doesn't get 15+ carries a game lol.  It's too bad there's not other ways to score points.

The Athletic's Connor Hughes said rookie RB Michael Carter is the "eventual 1A" in the Jets' backfield. 

Hughes reiterated what he said in June about Carter -- a fourth-round pick in the 2021 draft -- emerging as the main option in what will be something of a committee backfield like the 49ers. Hughes said it's Carter's pass-catching ability to separates him from Tevin Coleman and Ty Johnson. "He’s essentially a receiver out of the backfield," Hughes said. Positive training camp reports will boost Carter's average draft position -- it's only a matter of how much the rookie rises. Carter seems destined to fall into the RB dead zone this summer.

Source: The Athletic
Jul 26, 2021, 10:02 AM ET
  • Thanks 2