NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Bobby Bradley 2021 Outlook

There is no shortage of defensively-limited power bats fighting for playing time these days.  Here's another one!

The reason I'm keeping a closer eye on him than some others is that there's really nobody else on the Cleveland roster to stop him from getting a full-time run if he runs into a couple of homers early.  He didn't do much in his first short run in 2019, but there's enough raw power to do some damage.

I wouldn't rush to the wire to pick him up outside of 15-teamers and AL-only, but if he starts strong, I'll be adding him everywhere I can to teams where I need a power boost and can handle some average risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

DH eligible only on ESPN. Will he be playing first? Outfield? 

Probably 1B or DH exclusively.  Naylor has more defensive versatility, but they're both lefties.  Probably nothing to see here for a while in leagues where he's DH-only.

• Like 1

If he starts hot, he's worth rostering. But these guys seem to fall offs cliff in a hurry.  Rowdy Tellez was great last year, now this year he's horrible.  And it's hard to play guys like Tellez and Bradley when they have negative defensive value.  

Highest barrel percentage of all batters with at least 15 BBE. That number is sure to come down but at the moment, this guy is certainly starting hot. 

Edited by collucho
  • Like 2

On the broadcast, they were talking about how Bradley made an adjustment with his stance and his starting hand position in AAA right before he got the call-up. The power has always been legit. Maybe he puts it all together and gives us a Joey Gallo type season? Worth a flier in all leagues in my opinion

• Like 1

I'm getting Adolis Garcia vibes.

Maybe someone who figured it out a little later in their prospect life but has made enough adjustments to have a decent career.

It's really a little too early to make any conclusions as to whether Bradley has made significant strides or it's just a hot start but the power has always been absolutely legit with him. There'll be slumps as there are with any player but if he's changed his approach enough to hit even .245-.250, watch out. The strikeouts I can live with...everyone strikes out now.

At the very least he should get ample time to prove himself one way or the other. The Indians gave 2+ months to Bauer and he never once hit this well at any point during the season. In fact, Bradley outhit Bauer in spring training. I believe they decided to send down Bradley anyway to start the season because he still had options.

It might prove to be a fun ride.

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 3

A brief blurb from Pitcherlist.com this afternoon, posted pretty much the same time I submitted the above:

Bobby Barrels is back to bop some bombs. The swing-and-miss slugger has been surprisingly anything but in the early going, with a K rate of just 13%. While that won’t last with his Contact% of 72%, it’s still a big improvement from his first cup of coffee (63% Contact%) and certainly good enough to give him a real chance to be a productive major league hitter with his pop. He’s already crushed a ball at 114 mph with 3 barrels, and he could put on a 2019 Aristedes Aquino-like run (well, minus the SBs). There’s also a chance he peters out, but with Bauers gone and Naylor stinking up the joint, Bradley should see plenty of playing time going forward and is a fine add in 15-teamers and deeper 12-team OBP leagues as well for owners looking to play the hot hand.

33 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Figured he was dh. He is playing 1b. Hopefully he gets his ten games at first.

He will.

He's played 2 games at DH and 8 at 1st.

Should get to 10 by this weekend.

Edited by Wieties

3 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Good info. I'm going to add him if anyone. Thanks.

If you need pop, I can't think of a better lottery pick.

He'll be playing at 1st base pretty much everyday since they jettisoned Jake Bauers and he has 70 graded power by scouts and that's fairly rare.

Has always come with alot of swing and miss but so far he's cut back on that.

Just now, Wieties said:

If you need pop, I can't think of a better lottery pick.

He'll be playing at 1st base pretty much everyday since they jettisoned Jake Bauers and he has 70 graded power by scouts and that's fairly rare.

Has always come with alot of swing and miss but so far he's cut back on that.

Ok will do.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, Wieties said:

I'm getting Adolis Garcia vibes.

Maybe someone who figured it out a little later in their prospect life but has made enough adjustments to have a decent career.

It's really a little too early to make any conclusions as to whether Bradley has made significant strides or it's just a hot start but the power has always been absolutely legit with him. There'll be slumps as there are with any player but if he's changed his approach enough to hit even .245-.250, watch out. The strikeouts I can live with...everyone strikes out now.

At the very least he should get ample time to prove himself one way or the other. The Indians gave 2+ months to Bauer and he never once hit this well at any point during the season. In fact, Bradley outhit Bauer in spring training. I believe they decided to send down Bradley anyway to start the season because he still had options.

It might prove to be a fun ride.

Is it not too early to call a late prospect boom as Adolis Garcia? Adolis Garcia has been pretty doodoo the past month as teams learn how to pitch him. If anything a late bloomer who comes out of nowhere should be a Castellanos. 

Anyways. All the guys that have a hot run and have a high K% seem to fizzle out quickly. It's probably going to be a short fun ride.

Color me skeptical. This hot streak has come at the hands of some awful pitching with 6 games against the Orioles, 2 games against the Mariners, and 1 against the remnants of whatever Carlos Martinez is these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Color me skeptical. This hot streak has come at the hands of some awful pitching with 6 games against the Orioles, 2 games against the Mariners, and 1 against the remnants of whatever Carlos Martinez is these days.

At least we know he can hit against AAAA level pitching.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

Is it not too early to call a late prospect boom as Adolis Garcia? Adolis Garcia has been pretty doodoo the past month as teams learn how to pitch him. If anything a late bloomer who comes out of nowhere should be a Castellanos. 

Anyways. All the guys that have a hot run and have a high K% seem to fizzle out quickly. It's probably going to be a short fun ride.

That's fine.

He was free.

If it's more than that, that's even better.

As I said several posts above, it's a small sample size.

He's a lottery ticket with alot of playing time.

It could be nothing...or it could be something.

But if you wait to see for sure, he'll be gone.

From an article on priority free agent pickups on Yahoo this afternoon by Andy Behrens (he had just mentioned Brandon Belt for context):

----------

Bobby Bradley, 1B, Cleveland Indians (17%)

OK, this is more like it. Bradley is eight years younger than Belt, far less predictable, and thus (arguably) more fun. His power credentials are well established, as he banged out 33 homers at Triple-A Columbus back in 2019. When he hits 'em, they are fully hit:

BIG FLY BOBBY BRADLEY! 🚀 🌕#OurCLE pic.twitter.com/lAxkY7TzTZ

— Bally Sports Cleveland (@BallySportsCLE) June 16, 2021

Bradley has been raking since being recalled by Cleveland. He entered Thursday 11-for-31 with three bombs and three walks (and then went deep against the O's while I was writing him up). There's nothing in his major or minor league history suggesting he'll continue to hit for average, but, again, the power is definitely real. Go get him.

---------

Again, I'm not saying he's a future 1st or 2nd rounder...

I'm not guaranteeing he'll even be rosterable in a month...

The sample size is way too small to know for a certainty what to make of his future value.

What I am saying is, he is producing NOW and is likely to be allowed plenty of playing time to continue to produce. The AVG. is very likely to drop (how much will be the key), but how many owners were unbelievers in Adolis Garcia and other hot start surprises and missed out on a chunk of valuable production because they waited too long and a league-mate cashed in.

My advice, if anyone cares, is pick him up in 12 team or larger leagues. 

If he cools off in 2 weeks, what have you lost?

If he doesn't, he may help you win your league.

11 minutes ago, Wieties said:

From an article on priority free agent pickups on Yahoo this afternoon by Andy Behrens (he had just mentioned Brandon Belt for context):

----------

Bobby Bradley, 1B, Cleveland Indians (17%)

OK, this is more like it. Bradley is eight years younger than Belt, far less predictable, and thus (arguably) more fun. His power credentials are well established, as he banged out 33 homers at Triple-A Columbus back in 2019. When he hits 'em, they are fully hit:

BIG FLY BOBBY BRADLEY! 🚀 🌕#OurCLE pic.twitter.com/lAxkY7TzTZ

— Bally Sports Cleveland (@BallySportsCLE) June 16, 2021

Bradley has been raking since being recalled by Cleveland. He entered Thursday 11-for-31 with three bombs and three walks (and then went deep against the O's while I was writing him up). There's nothing in his major or minor league history suggesting he'll continue to hit for average, but, again, the power is definitely real. Go get him.

---------

Again, I'm not saying he's a future 1st or 2nd rounder...

I'm not guaranteeing he'll even be rosterable in a month...

The sample size is way too small to know for a certainty what to make of his future value.

What I am saying is, he is producing NOW and is likely to be allowed plenty of playing time to continue to produce. The AVG. is very likely to drop (how much will be the key), but how many owners were unbelievers in Adolis Garcia and other hot start surprises and missed out on a chunk of valuable production because they waited too long and a league-mate cashed in.

My advice, if anyone cares, is pick him up in 12 team or larger leagues. 

If he cools off in 2 weeks, what have you lost?

If he doesn't, he may help you win your league.

This post brought to you by Bobby Bradley Corp.

• Haha 1