NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Caleb Smith 2021 Outlook

AKA Doc K. Always been a favorite of mine (and I am fairly certain @brockpapersizer)

Starts today against Brewers. Had gotten absurdly banished to pen after 1 start this year, but should remain in the rotation now. Quietly found a pretty good groove doing the multi inning relief duty and has an overall 3.32 ERA/1.29 WHIP with 42K/17BB in 38 IP. I think he will be useful with his RP/SP designation, but will have to see how he does today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He got into trouble in the 1st and bigger trouble in the 4th but was bailed out by double plays.

He’s going to win approximately zero games with Arizona’s offense & bullpen behind him but hard not to like the final line last night. And that RP eligibility.

Edited by Kaytwo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaytwo said:

He got into trouble in the 1st and bigger trouble in the 4th but was bailed out by double plays.

He’s going to win approximately zero games with Arizona’s offense & bullpen behind him but hard not to like the final line last night. And that RP eligibility.

Thanks, much appreciated.

You really had to have eyes on his start today to appreciate it. He was really quite good, some very poor defense unnecessarily ran up his PC and put him in far more stress than needed be. It wasn't all pretty, because in an twist he gave up some hard contact for outs--but almost all of the hits he surrendered were super soft. He also did not get the benefit of a rather significant number of edge pitches that caught the zone, but were called balls. I have always thought he was pretty good when healthy, despite some obvious flaws (bi-polar command and a 91 mph fastball namely)...he can miss bats, which i find inherently valuable...hopefully he can find his way somewhere greener, but he will be useful with his stuff, regardless. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice bounce back.

Seeing 18 whiffs and 16 called strikes for him last night. Solid 4 pitch mix, highlighted by a crazy moving FA and CH.

IF he can stay healthy, some contending team should really come calling for him.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently Phil Cuzzi is the glove whisperer, he's seemingly the ONLY umpire in baseball able to find sticky substances. This is a joke, I believe Smith 100% that he's not cheating, and its dirt on his glove. I agree when he says he's guilty by association-look at the "headline" on the Twitter clip I pulled as evidence:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2021/08/19/d-backs-caleb-smith-ejected-sticky-substance-facing-possible-10-game-suspension/8191164002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&cid=twitter_