NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cant believe he wasnt allowed to pitch more. How do we know he can get over this “jitter” or “nerve” if he isnt allowed to force through this outing

2 minutes ago, fingy said:

Cant believe he wasnt allowed to pitch more. How do we know he can get over this “jitter” or “nerve” if he isnt allowed to force through this outing

It was definitely the right move to pull him. He was at 39 pitches in his first inning. You don't keep a young pitcher out there for much longer

4 minutes ago, fingy said:

He's already going to be traumatized. No need to make the poor guy spend the rest of his life in therapy too!

Rookieitis.

After many years of playing this game, I’ve come the conclusion that I will NEVER own a rookie SP in their first season, no matter how highly touted. 

For every one of them who excels from day one, there are nine others whose inconsistency destroys your ratios. Simply not good odds.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nittanychris said:

Rookieitis.

After many years of playing this game, I’ve come the conclusion that I will NEVER own a rookie SP in their first season, no matter how highly touted. 

For every one of them who excels from day one, there are nine others whose inconsistency destroys your ratios. Simply not good odds.

I wouldn't go as far as not owning them, but what I need to learn is to need immediately start them every time. 

Not sure you can really take anything from last night's outing. Nerves were obvious, and apparently, the 'gap between the majors and minors' right now is bigger than ever, thanks to the lost season last year. Logan Gilbert comes up and he doesn't look any good, and a couple outings later he starts coming around. Same with Kowar. Now that we're in June, it's more and more difficult to find upside. I'm sticking with Kowar for at least another start. If the nerves still have him out of whack where he can't even make it through 5 innings, I'll move on (in redrafts), but too soon to let go now.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

Rookieitis.

I think it's fine to own them on a cases by case basis, I think the issue is paying up for them for their  rookie year. I wouldn't spend a good draft pick stashing one and I wouldn't spend a ton of FAAB on one in most situations. Picking up Kowar for free is probably fine. If you started him, oh well.  He won't be as bad next time (would be hard).  

22 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Not sure you can really take anything from last night's outing. Nerves were obvious, and apparently, the 'gap between the majors and minors' right now is bigger than ever, thanks to the lost season last year. Logan Gilbert comes up and he doesn't look any good, and a couple outings later he starts coming around. Same with Kowar. Now that we're in June, it's more and more difficult to find upside. I'm sticking with Kowar for at least another start. If the nerves still have him out of whack where he can't even make it through 5 innings, I'll move on (in redrafts), but too soon to let go now.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure they’re using a different baseball in Triple A and I wonder if the adjustment to the major league ball will take a few starts for pitchers.

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure they’re using a different baseball in Triple A and I wonder if the adjustment to the major league ball will take a few starts for pitchers.

I'm not entirely sure, but when most of your competition hasn't played since the fall of 2019, there are likely plenty of mistakes that both pitchers and hitters capitalize more regularly on, especially as the career minor leaguers try to get comfortable again. Or maybe even some minor league clubs struggle to fill their rosters as some players pursued other work in 2020 and decided not to come back. The top talent (those who have a chance of making the majors) might then have a further advantage, but then hit a wall when they hit the majors when the realize the same mistakes just aren't there. I mean, this is always the case I'm sure, but weaker competition is weaker competition.

1 minute ago, Strikeforce316 said:

I just hope he gets another start

He definitely will.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article251965913.html

“I’m guessing if we let him go longer, he’s going to be standing out there later in the game,” Royals manager Mike Matheny said. “He was making pretty good pitches, close misses. They fought off some pitches that I didn’t think that they would. He didn’t have the command with his fastball. That put him in spots where he just wasn’t able to pitch like he normally would.”

“I’m excited to watch him get back out there,” Matheny said. “I’d have loved to have been able to push him a little farther. It’s not that his stuff wasn’t there or he was getting beat up too much. It’s just that his count got him to the point where we had to protect him.

“I hated to take him out right there. Hated it because he was throwing fine. I’d have loved to be able to give him some more time, but I’m not going to put him in a spot where we could potentially put him in harm.”

“I would say that the first hitter or two, probably the Ohtani at-bat I was pretty juiced,” Kowar said. “But after that I’d say the heart rate came down a little bit and I was just trying to make pitches. It just came down to me not really executing.”

“I’m one of his biggest fans,” infielder/outfielder Hunter Dozier said. “I saw him in Triple-A when I was down there for my rehab assignment. When I came back, I was telling everyone, ‘Hey, this kid is the real deal. He needs to be up here.’

“It’s just one outing. He’s got electric stuff. He’s going to be good for us for a long time.”

• Thanks 1

His breaking ball does not look good.  Yes there are exceptions but in general it is tough to have success in MLB without one.

• Like 1

I’m not saying Kowar will not be a great pitcher one day. What I am saying is that pursuing that upside in his first few months in the bigs is FAR MORE LIKELY to do damage to your fantasy team than to pay dividends. It’s a simple risk-reward situation that people are blinded to by prospect pedigree.

• Like 2