Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Patrick Sandoval 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

He's recently joined the Angels rotation with Quintana going down.  Picked up 10 K's today...yes it was against the Mariners.  Could be a sneaky add in deep leagues.  Had some prospect buzz a few years ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Angels fan here and my little brothers grew up playing with Patrick so I've followed his career really closely. He's always had well above average stuff but somewhat shaky command and to be honest I don't think the Angels pitching coaches have gotten enough out of him with how much talent he has.

Everytime I've watched him this season I say he should throw way more changeups as it is his best pitch by far. Well what happened today? He made his changeup his most used pitch throwing it 37% of the time and his four seamer 31% on his way to a 40% CSW and 32 whiffs!!!! That's the most whiffs of any pitcher in a game this season and the 5th all time ever recorded in the statcast era.

He's a definite pickup in deep leagues and I will probably be making room for him in my 12 teamer as I am biased to wanting him on my team.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I streamed him and looooove it. But it was against the Mariners -- not sure if they can even beat triple A teams at this point.

But the most whiffs this season part is impressive nonetheless! 

Edited by fingy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to believe. My initial bias is largely b/c the Angels have been terrible for starting pitchers in fantasy for many years, unless they have a CJ Wilson or Jered Weaver type on their staff. I almost regard them in the same vein as the Rockies' pitching staff in that way. Ohtani's proving that notion wrong this year, but his volume is low and the walks will hurt him once balls start leaving the yard in Anaheim. They are lining up as a 6-man rotation going forward and have basically committed to it in the same way Seattle has, correct? In theory, this should give them better ability to get each starter the best matchup and more. Is there any chance they'll use him occasionally out of the pen still when they have off-days, a la Javier in Houston, or are they committing to starting him exclusively?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I want to believe. My initial bias is largely b/c the Angels have been terrible for starting pitchers in fantasy for many years, unless they have a CJ Wilson or Jered Weaver type on their staff. I almost regard them in the same vein as the Rockies' pitching staff in that way. Ohtani's proving that notion wrong this year, but his volume is low and the walks will hurt him once balls start leaving the yard in Anaheim. They are lining up as a 6-man rotation going forward and have basically committed to it in the same way Seattle has, correct? In theory, this should give them better ability to get each starter the best matchup and more. Is there any chance they'll use him occasionally out of the pen still when they have off-days, a la Javier in Houston, or are they committing to starting him exclusively?

They've been reluctant to lock him in as a starter for the past few years including this year but he could honestly be our third best starter already. Angels stupidly gave Quintana a lot of money (for their cheap pitching ways) and will persist with him way longer than they should when it's obvious he should be axed from the rotation if the call came down to the two of them. For now though he is firmly entrenched in the rotation and the only possible guy that the Angels could add to the rotation would be Chris Rodriguez who is currently in their bullpen but has had injury issues throughout his young career and is being handled delicately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

He'd be a bit more interesting if they had a traditional 5 man rotation, but has still got some intriguing talents. Any points league players and 15+ teamers should be tracking him, if not adding him. It is a solid 5 pitch mix on a big/solid frame with excellent mechanics, consistent release points and developing command. Really hoping we see some expanded curve usage. His change is really bordering on sub-elite status. Even the slider and sinker show quite well.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe Maddon is a believer:

"I've been on this guy's potential since the first time I saw him last year. I think more than anything, he really has a stronger sense of belonging and knowing he can do this. He had been more in survival mode, but I think he's getting beyond that point. He went out there and had great composure and made great pitches, primarily fastball-changeup."
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He'd be a bit more interesting if they had a traditional 5 man rotation, but has still got some intriguing talents. Any points league players and 15+ teamers should be tracking him, if not adding him. It is a solid 5 pitch mix on a big/solid frame with excellent mechanics, consistent release points and developing command. Really hoping we see some expanded curve usage. His change is really bordering on sub-elite status. Even the slider and sinker show quite well.

The 6 man rotation really does limit some appeal in fantasy.  Fewer starts, 2 start weeks, and the added dilemma of inserting a guy into your lineup who is pegged for a Sunday start.  One rainout and you get nothing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

The 6 man rotation really does limit some appeal in fantasy.  Fewer starts, 2 start weeks, and the added dilemma of inserting a guy into your lineup who is pegged for a Sunday start.  One rainout and you get nothing.

True, it will be interesting to see if those teams deal with less injuries to their starters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the attrition at SP, this guy is surprisingly being slept on. Lots to like with him imo (despite the lingering 6 man rotation)

As a starter this season, he has a 1.23 WHIP and 2.77 ERA. His change (34% SwStr%, 54 GB%) and slider (21% SwStr%, 83% GB%) are near-elite pitches.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2021 at 1:36 PM, dicka24 said:

The 6 man rotation really does limit some appeal in fantasy.  Fewer starts, 2 start weeks, and the added dilemma of inserting a guy into your lineup who is pegged for a Sunday start.  One rainout and you get nothing.

For weekly leagues, yes. For daily leagues, these things aren’t a big deal, except for possibly fewer starts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Another solid outing. The command can still come/go but that isn't uncommon for a young arm still figuring out sequencing and trusting his stuff.

After looking over the charts from last night, I am getting some real Skubal-type vibes and think he could be on the verge of a break-through:

FA- sat 95 MPH, from the left side that is nearly plus, excellent break on the pitch too. He fired 21 with 5 called strikes and 1 whiff

SI- comes in around the same speed as the FA, but compliments it v well with awesome horizontal action on it--as well as plenty (though less) of vert moves, threw 21--2 called and 1 whiff

CH- sits 84-87 and is really nasty, another sick mover with both actions plenty present, tossed up 27--with 3 called strikes and 6 whiffers

SL- sits 87-89 and diametrically opposes much of the actions of the change, which isn't bad but complimentary in nature...brought out 30 with 1 called strike and 4 whiffs

CU- much to my liking he is spinning it up more and more, sits beautifully at 78-81 MPH, tossed up 15 last night and was getting takes/fooling them with 8 called strikes on it

Overall he working a legit 5 pitch mix and missing bats, last night he threw 114 pitches--73 for strikes, getting ahead in the count to the tune of 22 out 28 batters faced with a starting strike. 

Was hoping you'd update his pitch mixes, as I haven't been able to watch any of his starts, always miss Angels games on the coast. Anyway, props for the early mention, because I would have waited a few starts to pick him up after he was in the rotation, and possibly missed out on him. I've got him in a bunch of leagues now and he's been great, the Ws haven't been there, but that's hardly his fault. He's locked into that rotation, and I like the 6 game mix there, it gives them the chance to match up the starters well. Would be cool to see him rack up more Ks a la Skubal, but I'm fine with what he's doing now, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could have been an even better outing but Iglesias botched two double plays that resulted in the two runs (one of baseballs many dumb rules in that you can't give errors on should have been double plays). Changeup is still unhittable and with the Angels getting back Trout, Rendon, and Upton at some point there should be a lot more run support and a lot more wins post all star break. I really think he should be owned in all 12 team leagues at this point

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own him in one league, he's on the wire in another.  Does anyone know what the Angels rotation schedule coming out of the break? 

Are they still running a 6 man rotation, or did Bundy getting  demoted to the pen end that?  I'm wondering if he will get 2 starts over a 10 day "week".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I own him in one league, he's on the wire in another.  Does anyone know what the Angels rotation schedule coming out of the break? 

Are they still running a 6 man rotation, or did Bundy getting  demoted to the pen end that?  I'm wondering if he will get 2 starts over a 10 day "week".

What I have seen (certainly not official, yet) is that Heaney and Cobb are scheduled to start first 2 games of SEA out of the break, lining up Sandoval to take the ball Sun.

Much of this is fluid, depending on where they decide to place Ohtani (you'd think he is looking for some serious rest to begin 2nd H after getting AS game start?)

Also they have (apparently) shifted Bundy to the pen, for who knows how long, and Suarez is the new #5 in rotation.

Canning was optioned, but could be back to claim the #6 spot... that is another tough to say situation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

What I have seen (certainly not official, yet) is that Heaney and Cobb are scheduled to start first 2 games of SEA out of the break, lining up Sandoval to take the ball Sun.

Much of this is fluid, depending on where they decide to place Ohtani (you'd think he is looking for some serious rest to begin 2nd H after getting AS game start?)

Also they have (apparently) shifted Bundy to the pen, for who knows how long, and Suarez is the new #5 in rotation.

Canning was optioned, but could be back to claim the #6 spot... that is another tough to say situation.

I too think that they'd push Ohtani to #4 or #5 after the break to give him some extra rest and preserve his arm and his innings.  You would think Sandoval would be one of the guys they'd want right away since he is seemingly their best starter after Ohtani.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed a bit of a red flag from his start yesterday--which was still an effective one, mostly because all of his stuff is just moving a ton:

FA- sat 91.8 MPH and topped out at 94 MPH, the start prior he averaged 95 MPH, so he was missing about 3 ticks...still had great action, tossed 21--2 called strikes and 1 whiff

SI- also down in that same FA range in MPH, incredible dual plane breaking action, managed very weak contact with it, threw 19--4 called strikes and 3 swinging on it

CH- his main offering and possibly one of the top 5 overall filthiest pitches in the majors right now, sat in fairly regular range of 83-85 MPH, sick dual movement, he threw 28--garnering 2 called strikes and 7 whiffs with it

SL- hangs around that CH range but has totally different shape and movements, spun in 23--getting 3 called Ks and 5 whiffs on the pitch

CU- continues to function as a change to the actual change, important pitch with great shape and sits as a perfect velo compliment at 76-78 MPH, threw 10 getting 4 called Ks

Zone plot was pretty lovely, working a ton on the edges and in all quadrants:

image.png.42129d2dad75371d53b9d3193cd4747b.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

Who was watching yesterday?  Seemingly was cruising then all hell broke loose.

 

as Steven noted above, did he get crushed on his fastball?

I was watching yesterday. Hardly "cruising" early in the game. Had a rough 1st inning with 30+ pitches including a comebacker off his left wrist. Looked bad at first but he stayed in the game. It felt like it threw him off a bit for the coming innings.

Had a bad 5th against the top of the order (2 hits and a HR) but rebounded nicely striking out 5 of the next 7 batters. Was really good to see him go 7 innings, gives me confidence in him moving forward.

Of the 6 hits he gave up, 3 were off his fastball including the solo HR. The 3 run HR in the 5th was off a changeup that he left hanging.

I'm not worried at all. His changeup worked great and he racked up 9 K's. I'm just waiting for a game where he has everything working and goes really deep.

Has @Min/Oak/@Tex next so the future looks promising.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, disgruntledf said:

I was watching yesterday. Hardly "cruising" early in the game. Had a rough 1st inning with 30+ pitches including a comebacker off his left wrist. Looked bad at first but he stayed in the game. It felt like it threw him off a bit for the coming innings.

Had a bad 5th against the top of the order (2 hits and a HR) but rebounded nicely striking out 5 of the next 7 batters. Was really good to see him go 7 innings, gives me confidence in him moving forward.

Of the 6 hits he gave up, 3 were off his fastball including the solo HR. The 3 run HR in the 5th was off a changeup that he left hanging.

I'm not worried at all. His changeup worked great and he racked up 9 K's. I'm just waiting for a game where he has everything working and goes really deep.

Has @Min/Oak/@Tex next so the future looks promising.

 

ha yea--had him and gilbert going--gilbert was the one cruising lol.  got their outings mixed up.

 

but sandy appeared to recover and was on his way to a pretty decent out.  I was just stat-watching.

 

thanks for the summary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...