NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Patrick Sandoval 2021 Outlook

Watched the whole game, absolutely gutted he lost the no hitter. Fluke oppo blooper that barely stayed fair. His changeup is literally a top five pitch in all of baseball. Maddon a coward for pulling him one out from the CGSO. Like I've been saying for awhile he should obviously be owned in every league 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

How high is his ceiling?

Top 30?

Top 20?

His fastball is pretty below average which limits his top tier upside but changeup slider curve are all plus pitches. If he gets the right pitch mix he can be an ace. Stassi called a great game today and Patty also showed a lot of confidence shaking off and going back to the changeup multiple times in a row. In a perfect world I dont see why he cant be top 20 maybe top 15 with how dominant his changeup is, if he reaches that this season though who knows.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Watched the whole game, absolutely gutted he lost the no hitter. Fluke oppo blooper that barely stayed fair. His changeup is literally a top five pitch in all of baseball. Maddon a coward for pulling him one out from the CGSO. Like I've been saying for awhile he should obviously be owned in every league 

I yelled, “NOOOOOOOO!!!!” loud enough when he lost the no-hitter that my wife and one of my kids came running thinking something was really wrong. Lol!!

As for pulling him, I know he was over 100 pitches and I assumed Maddon wanted him to walk off to a standing O. I will say, when Sandoval smiled and pointed at Rooker, that was heartbreaking but a cool display of sportsmanship, imho. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pitching tomorrow at the Dodgers against Price, the Angels have been juggling their rotation around this week so he got an extra few days rest. I'm on the fence about this outing, he's been great, but 6 BBs in the last outing + Dodgers make me lean towards sitting him. 

10 minutes ago, rabaak said:

He initially was scheduled to start against Texas. Now he is not on any schedule to pitch that I can find.  Did they move him to the bullpen?

I do believe he is starting tmrw @ LAD?

• 2 weeks later...

Angels placed LHP Patrick Sandoval on the 10-day injured list with a left lumbar spine stress reaction.

Advice: Angels manager Joe Maddon told reporters that he was not sure of a timeline but "there's a chance" it could be season-ending. Stay tuned for more details. The move will be retroactive to August 15.

The hits keep coming today. Sandoval had been a little shaky his last few turns out, but now he's headed to IL for awhile. Another bummer for teams that were counting on him to fill some innings at the end of the year. 

4 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

I'd be surprised if he's not drafted among the top 30-40 pitchers next year.  Unlikely to last in to the late rounds.

Depends on how much sleeper hype he gets next spring. He's a west coast pitcher on a bad team without a ton of success prior to 2021 and could miss the rest of the season with a back injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the later rounds in a lot of draft. 

He's a pre-post hype sleeper with the upside to become a post-pre hype sleeper before most drafts next year. My advice is take sure you pick him before someone else does because then you won't have him for when he becomes a post-post hype sleeper.  You want this man on that wall, you NEED this man on that wall.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BottleRocketeer said:

He's a pre-post hype sleeper with the upside to become a post-pre hype sleeper before most drafts next year. My advice is take sure you pick him before someone else does because then you won't have him for when he becomes a post-post hype sleeper.  You want this man on that wall, you NEED this man on that wall.  

Umm...okay. 

• Haha 2