Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Home Plate Umps Should Be Replaced by Robots


Recommended Posts

I know all the old heads are going to disagree with this point of view, but these umps are worse than ever before. These guys are ruining games calling strikes that are a solid half a foot off the plate. Take the Yankees/Red Sox game last night. 

Yankees: MLB fans irate after Rougned Odor was hosed on strikeout call

That pitch is not hittable. I am a Red Sox fan and I still have to admit this call is a joke.

When you couple these umps being horrendous with the fact that hitting is as difficult as ever with the increased velocity and spin rates the MLB batting average of .230 makes a whole lot of sense. We already have the technology that will give us the answers we are looking for. Is the umpire's union really unbeatable? How many games have to be ruined by Joe West before something is done? 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a baseball fan for 35 years. I want robots calling strikes.  Umps are less accurate and have biases. Some of their egos are getting to be a bit much now too, which is the worst part.

Overhead view. If you think this "two seamer" ever crosses the plate, then I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.    

Also handing out new baseballs, dusting off the plate, and giving the catchers someone to talk to in between PAs.  No jobs eliminated, just computers helping them do their existing job like they do fo

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

That's fine if it's just ump behind plate. They are a pain in butt.

Yeah, I mean, the guy can still stand there. But he should have an earpiece in or a buzzer letting him know the correct call. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, collucho said:

I know all the old heads are going to disagree with this point of view, but these umps are worse than ever before. These guys are ruining games calling strikes that are a solid half a foot off the plate. Take the Yankees/Red Sox game last night. 

Yankees: MLB fans irate after Rougned Odor was hosed on strikeout call

That pitch is not hittable. I am a Red Sox fan and I still have to admit this call is a joke.

When you couple these umps being horrendous with the fact that hitting is as difficult as ever with the increased velocity and spin rates the MLB batting average of .230 makes a whole lot of sense. We already have the technology that will give us the answers we are looking for. Is the umpire's union really unbeatable? How many games have to be ruined by Joe West before something is done? 

We have the technology to replace human pitchers with robots too, but should we really go there?  umps are always 50 % right and 50 % wrong depending on who you ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mks said:

We have the technology to replace human pitchers with robots too, but should we really go there?  umps are always 50 % right and 50 % wrong depending on who you ask.

No, we don't.

Why not be 100% correct?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, collucho said:

I know all the old heads are going to disagree with this point of view, but these umps are worse than ever before. These guys are ruining games calling strikes that are a solid half a foot off the plate. Take the Yankees/Red Sox game last night. 

Yankees: MLB fans irate after Rougned Odor was hosed on strikeout call

That pitch is not hittable. I am a Red Sox fan and I still have to admit this call is a joke.

When you couple these umps being horrendous with the fact that hitting is as difficult as ever with the increased velocity and spin rates the MLB batting average of .230 makes a whole lot of sense. We already have the technology that will give us the answers we are looking for. Is the umpire's union really unbeatable? How many games have to be ruined by Joe West before something is done? 

That’s nothing. You see the pitch by Gilbert that WASN’T called a strike? Down the heart of the plate that should have been strike 3 to end the inning.  One of the worst non strike calls I’ve ever seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Keep the home plate ump to relay the ball/strike call and for plays at the plate.

Also handing out new baseballs, dusting off the plate, and giving the catchers someone to talk to in between PAs.  No jobs eliminated, just computers helping them do their existing job like they do for probably 95% of all occupations.  Let the high-speed cameras and software technology do the things they're good at and let the chubby humans do what they're good at.

(DIsclaimer: chubby human who does things with computers.)

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, collucho said:

No, we don't.

Why not be 100% correct?

We could just put a pitching machine out there and have the pitcher stand next to it and field the position. And the  "why not get it 100% correct" arguement was made to bring in the replay rules and we know they still get that wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mks said:

We could just put a pitching machine out there and have the pitcher stand next to it and field the position. And the  "why not get it 100% correct" arguement was made to bring in the replay rules and we know they still get that wrong.

Show me a pitching machine that can throw 5 different pitches based on the situation. And are you seriously trying to tell me that you think Joe West standing behind the plate has a better grip on the strike zone than you do sitting at home in front of your 70 inch plasma watching the ball go into the square on the screen?

Edit: I can't even believe you don't think replays were good for the game. 

Edited by collucho
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm OK with the current situation.  There is a twitter feed that rates umpires and it's very rare that someone is under 90% correct for the game.  Most of the time they miss maybe 3-5 pitches per game.  That seems reasonable to me.  Maybe give each manager a challenge a game where they can challenge a ball.strike call (in case of a gross error).

 

The bigger problem is there is literally no high strike anymore..  Llook at that picture in the first post. The top of the box is at the batters belt.  The strike zone is the letters to just below the knees.  The box TV uses as an overlay is almost always the same size for every batter.  Maybe for Judge or Altuve they change it...but it never varies.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, collucho said:

Show me a pitching machine that can throw 5 different pitches based on the situation. And are you seriously trying to tell me that you think Joe West standing behind the plate has a better grip on the strike zone than you do sitting at home in front of your 70 inch plasma watching the ball go into the square on the screen?

Why are You are trying to turn live baseball into a video game. Might has well just set MLB 2021 on random play and watch that. and a pitching machine can be programed to throw whatever pitch it wants. The human pitcher just pushes the curve slider fastball change up button. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Playstation and X box has ruined LIVE sports. Everyone want to watch the game with all stupid squares and comet tails LOL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, collucho said:

I know all the old heads are going to disagree with this point of view, but these umps are worse than ever before. These guys are ruining games calling strikes that are a solid half a foot off the plate. Take the Yankees/Red Sox game last night. 

Yankees: MLB fans irate after Rougned Odor was hosed on strikeout call

That pitch is not hittable. I am a Red Sox fan and I still have to admit this call is a joke.

When you couple these umps being horrendous with the fact that hitting is as difficult as ever with the increased velocity and spin rates the MLB batting average of .230 makes a whole lot of sense. We already have the technology that will give us the answers we are looking for. Is the umpire's union really unbeatable? How many games have to be ruined by Joe West before something is done? 

That was likely a strike when it crossed the plate.  It was a two seam fastball after all.  Balls and strikes are called when the ball crosses the plate, not when it reaches the catcher.

Edited by Sparty1045
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

why do we need to watch sports with all the video game crap on the tv? Just show the game without the graphics and stop trying to turn Live sports into Video games

Edited by mks
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mks said:

why do we need to watch sports with all the video game crap on the tv? Just show the game without the graphics and stop trying to turn Live sports into Video games

The thread has nothing to do with graphics. Computers could determine what is a ball and what is a strike without any graphics on your television at home. Please stay on topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Uh, the on-screen graphics show where the ball is when it crosses the plate.  Has been that way for years.

Looks like it’s showing the aftermath of the two seam breaking.  Look where the catcher is.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I say we replace players with robots too.spacer.png

Yeah, but they will still spend time on the IL with pulled circuits and strained hoses.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sparty1045 said:

That was likely a strike when it crossed the plate.  It was a two seem fastball after all.

lol nice 85mph two seam huh? No, it was a backdoor cutter/slider.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...