NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gus Edwards 2021 Outlook

144/723/6 last season, has averaged roughly 140/720 in his 3 years wif the HarBags. 

second banana behind Dobber, third option when factoring in Lamar, sure - but a steady cat who answers the bell when called on ... kid grinds it out, rarely see him stuffed or tossed for a loss ... he moves forward. always.  

not a prolific pass catcher, but that's not necessarily the sttength of this offense to begin with ... he is simply as advertised: a bulldozer who is fed, and trusted, by one of the most prolific running squads in the gig.  

Roman constantly stresses how he wants a committee approach - that remains to be seen ... but ol' Gus here is gonna get his 8-10 totes per game, and a few looks in the gl package. 

... and now he's locked up for the next couple seasons - presents remarkable value if Private Dobbs gets nicked, and has stand alone appeal for deeper leegs, especially standard. 

AUPeBcs.jpg

that's him up there ^

he's a fine running back. 

• Like 4

I heard this stat the other day. Gus Edwards and jamaal Charles are the only 2 RBs to average over 5 ypc for the first 3 seasons of their career in NFL history. “Minimum of so many touches per season”

if that’s actually true it speaks volumes to his talent. 

17 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I heard this stat the other day. Gus Edwards and jamaal Charles are the only 2 RBs to average over 5 ypc for the first 3 seasons of their career in NFL history. “Minimum of so many touches per season”

if that’s actually true it speaks volumes to his talent. 

Jerome Bettis never averaged 5 ypc in a season. If Edward's had played 30 years ago, he'd be a Hall of Famer. Bully backs just don't really fit in today's league. 

One of the better later round flyers that you can take.  Gus Bus is one Dobbins injury away from being a potential weekly top 10 RB play.  He's also going to get work in this offense regardless and can be used as a bye week fill-in at RB or Flex or if your team's in a crunch from injuries.  Right now, I'd much rather use overall pick 102 on Edwards than overall pick 26 on Dobbins.

6 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

One of the better later round flyers that you can take.  Gus Bus is one Dobbins injury away from being a potential weekly top 10 RB play.  He's also going to get work in this offense regardless and can be used as a bye week fill-in at RB or Flex or if your team's in a crunch from injuries.  Right now, I'd much rather use overall pick 102 on Edwards than overall pick 26 on Dobbins.

Ya nailed it. The best part is he’ll have weekly value too even if everyone is healthy. When ya start facing bad bye weeks ya can slot him in and have a pretty good chance of 70 yards and a TD any given week which is more than a lot of guys in the 10th round 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Of all of the non-starting RBs being drafted as RB3s and RB4s, I think Edwards is my favorite. Yeah, that includes Hunt (well, maybe not in full PPR). I’d definitely take him over Jamaal Williams, Conner, Fournette, Gordon, Dillon, Singletary and Drake. Gus is gonna get a decent share of the touches in an offense that uses RBs mroe than any other, he’s great at the goal line, and if Dobbins gets hurt, he’s got league-winning upside (which granted, is true for most of these guys). I’ve got lots of shares.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

Of all of the non-starting RBs being drafted as RB3s and RB4s, I think Edwards is my favorite. Yeah, that includes Hunt (well, maybe not in full PPR). I’d definitely take him over Jamaal Williams, Conner, Fournette, Gordon, Dillon, Singletary and Drake. Gus is gonna get a decent share of the touches in an offense that uses RBs mroe than any other, he’s great at the goal line, and if Dobbins gets hurt, he’s got league-winning upside (which granted, is true for most of these guys). I’ve got lots of shares.

Agree except for Dillon and Conner

1 hour ago, EWV1 said:

Agree except for Dillon and Conner

I don’t think either will be used as much as Edwards, that’s the difference to me. I think the Gus bus will dwarf them in touches. Provided no injuries of course.

Just now, IdontknowwhatNFLis12 said:

Looks like Dobbins has gone down with a serious injury. 

I know it's early but let's say Dobbins is out for the season, where would you be ranking Gus Bus among other RBs?

I'd probably slot him in the Sanders / Jacobs / Henderson / Davis range. 

Still want Carson / Monty / J-Rob over him. 

Edited by PlayTheWaivers
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, Fierylady said:

I don’t think either will be used as much as Edwards, that’s the difference to me. I think the Gus bus will dwarf them in touches. Provided no injuries of course.

Gus dwarf Conner in touches? I don’t see that happening. 

37 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I'd probably slot him in the Sanders / Jacobs / Henderson / Davis range. 

Still want Carson / Monty / J-Rob over him. 

Imo he should be around the Edmunds and mostert range. They could easily bring someone in and mess it all up again. The guys you mentioned are much clearer in their roles.

I draft in one hour will definitely draft Dobbins in the last round and put him on ir.

31 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

3rd round pick now?

21 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Imo he should be around the Edmunds and mostert range. They could easily bring someone in and mess it all up again. The guys you mentioned are much clearer in their roles.

I draft in one hour will definitely draft Dobbins in the last round and put him on ir.

it’ll be an RBBC with whoever else they bring in. Not worth a pick in the top 60 imo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

it’ll be an RBBC with whoever else they bring in. Not worth a pick in the top 60 imo. 

Agreed. Without knowing how long dobbins will miss if anything, I feel sure that they'd be getting a guy in to share the rb touches. Edwards is a very fine player but I think the Ravens know he's somebody that's more effective by not being in the whole game. 

15 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

So Edwards was already eating into Dobbins carries and now that J.K. might be out of the picture he's not worth a top 60 pick? Seems short-sighted.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

So Edwards was already eating into Dobbins carries and now that J.K. might be out of the picture he's not worth a top 60 pick? Seems short-sighted.

Correct because this is a team with Super Bowl aspirations that will be bringing in a RB very soon. I’d guess Melvin Gordon. They aren’t going into the year with Gus Edwards and Justice Hill.