NBC Sports Edge Forums

Which Catcher For The Rest Of The Year WHIR

I'd go Vazquez or Yermin. I'm a Sox fan and have seen a lot of Vazquez, he's a much better hitter than what he's done so far, he hasn't had a great start to the season but in that lineup he has to get going at some point and be very valuable once he does. The book is still out on Yermin, he had a scorching hot April then came back down to earth, not much track record on him to have an idea what a typical season in the bigs may look like. I like his situation in the CHW lineup, but he has cooled off a lot last couple months. The other catchers seem more like streamers you ride while they are hot, but for the long term solution here I'd grab Vazquez and ride him out until he heats up. 

I'd go with Vazquez. But I did just pick up Haase. I like the fact that he's about to get OF eligibility. Oh and he hits a bomb everyday. 🤣

Whichever player you currently own keep that one, and then drop a mt for one of those available sticks. Having two catcher depth is golden for when there's a day off, an injury, or PPD game due to rain. 

I feel like Vazquez is fairly safe, he hasn’t been off the charts but hasn’t been completely awful which is a big plus as far as catchers go. If I take a chance on anybody else ROS it’d be Mercedes. I think the other guys, Stassi and Haase are hot hands and wouldn’t be a bad play short term but the leash I would give them would be fairly short and I’d try to move on to the next hot bat when cool off

19 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Whichever player you currently own keep that one, and then drop a mt for one of those available sticks. Having two catcher depth is golden for when there's a day off, an injury, or PPD game due to rain. 

I somewhat agree that it helps to have 2 catchers, and in this current landscape catchers are going down like crazy this year or flat-out not producing...

If having to pick one, I would go with Vasquez. But I really have nothing against Yermin...I just feel like his gas in his tank may have expired. Cubs fan here who follows the Sox closely... just doesn't seem like he's going to heat up again like he did his first 100+ AB through the league.

As for keeping both, I wouldn't worry too much. There's always guys like Max Stassi and Hasse popping up who can be WW adds. If you needed a 2nd catcher right away, that is.

BTW, are you looking to trade or outright drop one of these two?

Edited by nlm