Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Laviska Shenault 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

2020 season stats: 79 targets, 58 rec for 600 yards and 5 TD's - also picked up 91 yards on the ground. Effectively missed 3 games due to a hamstring injury in Week 9.

 

He is looking like a breakout candidate in 2021 with a significant QB upgrade and a new HC that has a knack for getting playmakers of his skillset the ball (a la Curtis Samuel & Percy Harvin). Highlighting his playmaking ability is that Shenault thrives off YAC, earning ~50% of his receiving yards after the catch in 2020 (298).

 

There is some risk with the Jags signing Marvin Jones in the offseason, who can still play at a high level at age 31 and may siphon away some targets from Laviska. But at a PPR ADP of WR43, that is screaming value for Laviska's upside.

 

What're everyone else's thoughts on his prospects for this upcoming season?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Urban Meyer. Trevor Lawrence. Travis Etienne. Even Tim Tebow. These are the names and faces that have dominated headlines when it comes to the Jacksonville Jaguars over the course of the offseason, but one notable name is missing from the national hype machine: Laviska Shenault. 

Shenault, the No. 42 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, battled through some injuries and an inefficient role in the Jaguars' offense to still put up some of the best numbers of any rookie receiver last year. The former Colorado human highlight reel machine flashed over and over again as a rookie and is poised for a big second season.

As a result, it is hardly a shock to see Shenault land at the top of former NFL wide receiver Nate Burleson's list of top-5 breakout receivers for 2021 on NFL Network's Good Morning Football. Shenault joined other players such as Kendrick Bourne, Denzel Mims, Jerry Jeudy, and Tee Higgins. 

"I just love the way he plays. I know there are some concerns about him being a full-time wide receiver. Well, he proved he could be," Burleson said. "My dude had 58 receptions, that is no slouch. I wish as a rookie I put up almost 60 catches. He had 600 yards."

In 14 games last season, Shenault caught 58 catches on 79 targets (73.4% catch rate) for 600 yards (10.3 yards per catch) and five touchdowns. He also recorded 33 first downs through the air, 7.6 yards per target, 18 rushes for 91 yards, and 298 yards after the catch according to Pro Football Reference. 

Among rookies, Shenault finished seventh in catches, eighth in receiving yards, seventh in yards per game, and first in catch percentage. Shenault missed some snaps here and there and had to persevere through the Jaguars' refusal to let him run deeper routes, but his rookie season was an unmitigated success considering the Jaguars' 1-15 record and anemic offense. 

That doesn't even go to mention the fact that Shenault's first year in the NFL featured him having to adjust to three different quarterbacks, often on the fly. The Jaguars starting Gardner Minshew, Mike Glennon and Jake Luton all at different points during Shenault's rookie year, which placed a cap on his potential production due to both the lack of productive quarterback play and the lack of stability at the position. 

"And think about the starting QBs for the Jags last year. He had Gardner Minshew, Mike Glennon, Jake Luton," Burleson said. "You have so many different types of quarterbacks throwing you so many different types of balls, there was no chance for him to catch a rhythm."

Shenault figures to be one of the Jaguars' top playmakers in 2021 and is likely the best current bet to be the team's starting slot receiver. Shenault, 22, has shined throughout the team's organized team activities due to his athleticism and catch radius, bringing down several tough catches throughout Phase 3 of the offseason.

Shenault has earned praise from the Jaguars' coaching staff for his offseason work, with wide receiver coach Sanjay Lal explaining in April that the Jaguars have a detailed plan for the talented wideout and expect big things from the former top-50 pick.

"First of all, when you see him in person, this guy is a specimen. He's a true physical specimen," Lal said about Shenault. "I think his ceiling is unlimited. I really do.

"Obviously he has to stay healthy, be able to practice every day, all the things that everyone else has to do. But I don't really see a ceiling for him. So I'm extremely excited to work with him."

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to fault anyone for trying to find value at pick 100, but I don't see much improvement on last year. 

 

T Law isn't gonna come in and throw 4500 yards and be spreading the ball well to 3 WRs, TEs, and Backs. He'll probably pick a favorite and if that's LS then that's gravy, but I think most of us think it'll likely be DJ Chark. 

 

At WR42 I get a lot more excited about Davante Parker myself. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Hard to fault anyone for trying to find value at pick 100, but I don't see much improvement on last year. 

 

T Law isn't gonna come in and throw 4500 yards and be spreading the ball well to 3 WRs, TEs, and Backs. He'll probably pick a favorite and if that's LS then that's gravy, but I think most of us think it'll likely be DJ Chark. 

 

At WR42 I get a lot more excited about Davante Parker myself. 

Really?

Laviska is competing with Chark and a 31 year-old Marvin Jones.  Jags have no TE to speak of.  Parker is competing with Fuller, Waddle and Gesicki.  Even Miami's ancillary pieces like Jakeem Grant, Lynn Bowden and Preston Williams are miles ahead of Phillip Dorsett, Collin Johnson and Jamal Agnew.  Trevor Lawrence is probably (no guarantee, but) already better than Tua.  

Now Will Fuller is always hurt and Jaylen Waddle battled injury last season, so perhaps there's a path to Parker becoming the WR1 on the team through injury this season.  But even then, Fitzmagic isn't in town anymore.  

I like Shenault as an under the radar breakout.  As mentioned in a few posts above, Lawrence, Tebow, Etienne and Chark are getting all the attention in pre-season.  Shenault was widely considered one of the better WR prospects last year in a loaded class, and fell due to injury concerns.  Those concerns popped up a bit last year, missing a few games.  So the injury concern with Shenault is reasonable.  But this is a guy who can line-up wide, in the slot and in the backfield.  

Jaguars rank second in the NFL with 240 vacated targets, and the only replacement they brought in was Marvin.

Miami only has 69 vacated targets from last year, and brought in a high profile WR in FA, and spent their first pick on Waddle.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Really?

Laviska is competing with Chark and a 31 year-old Marvin Jones.  Jags have no TE to speak of.  Parker is competing with Fuller, Waddle and Gesicki.  Even Miami's ancillary pieces like Jakeem Grant, Lynn Bowden and Preston Williams are miles ahead of Phillip Dorsett, Collin Johnson and Jamal Agnew.  Trevor Lawrence is probably (no guarantee, but) already better than Tua.  

Now Will Fuller is always hurt and Jaylen Waddle battled injury last season, so perhaps there's a path to Parker becoming the WR1 on the team through injury this season.  But even then, Fitzmagic isn't in town anymore.  

I like Shenault as an under the radar breakout.  As mentioned in a few posts above, Lawrence, Tebow, Etienne and Chark are getting all the attention in pre-season.  Shenault was widely considered one of the better WR prospects last year in a loaded class, and fell due to injury concerns.  Those concerns popped up a bit last year, missing a few games.  So the injury concern with Shenault is reasonable.  But this is a guy who can line-up wide, in the slot and in the backfield.  

Jaguars rank second in the NFL with 240 vacated targets, and the only replacement they brought in was Marvin.

Miami only has 69 vacated targets from last year, and brought in a high profile WR in FA, and spent their first pick on Waddle.  

Agree with almost all of this.  But I don't think he's "under the radar".  I've already heard a couple of prominent podcasts tap him as a steal at his current ADP.    That was before the recent camp reports.   I'm thinking he ends up getting drafted as a WR2 which takes the upside out of drafting him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I felt strongly that they'd draft a WR with one of their other early picks, but was the Etienne selection just as bad for his outlook?    I felt like Shenault had a sizeable fraction of Curtis Samuel potential, making him useful, but with Etienne in the mix, I think now he's Isaiah McKenzie at best, with Etienne getting all the super cool plays.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hasta Laviska, Baby.

 

love the talent I’m lukewarm on his ability to stay healthy and his situation. QB situation should be better but coaching staff is an unknown. OC has history with Marvin Jones Jr. Many are predicting Chark to break out. Is there room for 2-3 fantasy relevant WRs on the Jags? Most rookie QBs can’t support that. 
 

he had some injuries in college, had some injuries last year. 
 

I personally think he is the best receiver the Jags have, I just wonder how long it will take The Jax coaching staff to figure that out and treat him as such.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hasta Laviska, Baby.

 

love the talent I’m lukewarm on his ability to stay healthy and his situation. QB situation should be better but coaching staff is an unknown. OC has history with Marvin Jones Jr. Many are predicting Chark to break out. Is there room for 2-3 fantasy relevant WRs on the Jags? Most rookie QBs can’t support that. 
 

he had some injuries in college, had some injuries last year. 
 

I personally think he is the best receiver the Jags have, I just wonder how long it will take The Jax coaching staff to figure that out and treat him as such.

Didn’t chark already break out? Thought he made a pro bowl before?? Anyways it doesn’t matter I agree with your whole post. Justin Herbert just had the best rookie year of any QB in history with 4300 yards and Keenan Allen didn’t eclipse 1000 yards and mike Williams didn’t get 800 yards. They had several other weapons on the chargers that siphon off yardage just like the jags do.. I don’t see much consistent fantasy success with most of them. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sports Illustrated's John Shipley reports Jaguars offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell wants to develop Laviska Shenault "as a pure wide receiver this offseason."

Shipley said he thinks "we'll see some" of Shenault used as a versatile rushing threat in 2021, "but not as much as 2020." Shenault last season took 18 carries for 91 yards, often with direct snaps. The second-year receiver and fantasy favorite has reportedly dominated Jacksonville's offseason practices. It was always unlikely Shenault would be used as a rusher after the team used a first round draft pick on Clemson RB Travis Etienne, who is expected to fill head coach Urban Meyer's "slash" role in the Jags offense. Shenault will compete with downfield threat D.J. Chark and veteran Marvin Jones for targets this season.

Jun 15, 2021, 12:14 PM ET
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2021 at 8:14 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Hard to fault anyone for trying to find value at pick 100, but I don't see much improvement on last year. 

 

T Law isn't gonna come in and throw 4500 yards and be spreading the ball well to 3 WRs, TEs, and Backs. He'll probably pick a favorite and if that's LS then that's gravy, but I think most of us think it'll likely be DJ Chark. 

 

At WR42 I get a lot more excited about Davante Parker myself. 

Cause waddle and fuller are chopped liver? And won't command the ball from a worse qb?

And from reports Meyer is disappointed in chark cause he doesn't play big. So couple that with t law and positive reviews and vibes from jville on laviska. Plenty more optimism on LS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2021 at 8:14 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Hard to fault anyone for trying to find value at pick 100, but I don't see much improvement on last year. 

 

T Law isn't gonna come in and throw 4500 yards and be spreading the ball well to 3 WRs, TEs, and Backs. He'll probably pick a favorite and if that's LS then that's gravy, but I think most of us think it'll likely be DJ Chark. 

Chark has a current ADP of 68.9 compared to LS's 92. LS is the better value and might just be the better WR. I honestly dont think Chark is very good. He's had only one good season in his entire 6 year career (collegiate and pro)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lotta hype for this guy but I just don’t see it. Sounds like they want ETN to be a LS type player now as well. First round draft capital spent on him and LS wasn’t drafted by this coaching staff. Personally I think chark and jones jr are better wrs as well. Easy fade for me 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The myriad of uses he's been assigned at both levels are a testament to his elite physical traits. Lacks prototypical length so his wingspan may not be that of a Devante Adams, but make no mistake, big & strong, thick frame, a ripped athlete & explosive! A WR is going to emerge, perhaps yielding owners WR2 type value, which is excellent considering his adp. You're drafting the versatile skill set. In longer formats an intriguing prospect.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Great question maybe add 15 receptions but on top of what I have zero idea. He seems to me to be the hardest player I own to predict. Wasn't drafted by urban. Had 1st round talent and didn't ball out last year. Now what's he supposed to do. He never even had an "it" game. Where it was like yeah 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ginocan said:

90/1200/7 

Coming. I can feel it coming in the air…

100% stock holder. 💎🙌💎

Damn bro- this is extremely bullish. I don't think he'll crack 11 YPR unfortunately.

I can see 90 - 950 - 10 though, which is similar production. Very cheap WR3- ppr gold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Damn bro- this is extremely bullish. I don't think he'll crack 11 YPR unfortunately.

I can see 90 - 950 - 10 though, which is similar production. Very cheap WR3- ppr gold. 

Yes, folks keep talking about JRob being the benefactor, but ETNs projected role was really more of an impingement on LS. Time to capitalize on all the work Urban's theoretically been doing drawing up creative plays for ETN only to give them to Shenault. 🤑

His shifty style for some reason reminded me of Diggs' rookie year. He didn't have a full route tree yet, but good hands and shifty as a MoFo. Not a direct player comparison, I don't see 100+ reception alpha status for Laviska, but he's got that same kind of excitement with the ball in his hands and will have some more runs to counter-balance his receiving work. I think 1k total yards is easily attainable post-ETN.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hard1 said:

Great question maybe add 15 receptions but on top of what I have zero idea. He seems to me to be the hardest player I own to predict. Wasn't drafted by urban. Had 1st round talent and didn't ball out last year. Now what's he supposed to do. He never even had an "it" game. Where it was like yeah 

I'm not sure "he didn't ball out" or "have an "it" game is fair - he was a rookie (with a COVID offseason/preaseason). As the season went on he got better and started to command more playing time and targets. Last 2 games he scored 3 TDs. He went from 50-60% snap rate to 75-90% as the season went on.

Overall he had a 73% catch rate and ended up with 80 targets. He's getting a WAY better QB this year and now ETN is out. He also had 18 carries for 90 yards last year and again no ETN.

Early this offseason the HC was criticizing Chark for not doing enough last year and not working hard enough. Laviska is a hard working beast and if you watch his highlights from last year you see it.

I think his ADP of ~WR40 is fair as it gives him room to improve and exceed his draft capital without being too crazy. I need to grab this guy before the hype train takes off and his ADP climbs with ETN out.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...