NBC Sports Edge Forums

Another guy who gets no love as a boring vet, Belt has the potential to surprise us this year without the benefit of the change in dimensions in San Francisco.  For years he had plenty of HRs taken away from him, but now the power is showing up with 8 HRs along with 21 Rs/21 RBIs thus far. He's had a few nagging injuries and just returned from an oblique strain, but his current .246 BA should improve quickly, and the Giants lineup has been much better than expected (though the loss of Longo will hurt). I'm buying into the increased power and more balls landing over the fence, and he's also snagged a few bases thus far. He's got versatility in 1B/OF eligibility that makes him a must own in deeper leagues that use CI or more than 3 OF, but he's also overlooked in standard leagues this year because he's never had a breakout year. I say this is the year he finally surpasses the 20-HR plateau, and good for 70+ R/RBI by the end of the year. Check if he's available after his recent injury.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

his current .246 BA should improve quickly

I doubt it improves much. Since 2017 he has hit over .253 just once, and that was last year when he appeared in just 51 games. I think is just what he is - a guy who hits in the .240-.250 range, with decent power, walks a lot to keep his OBP solid, and misses time with injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Belt has gone 11-23 with 7 Rs, 3 HR, 6 RBI and a SB for good measure in the past 6 games. There's no reason this guy should be owned in less than 30% of leagues as a middle of the order hitter on a 90-win likely to be Wild Card team. Don't miss the boat because he's a boring vet-he can play 1B and OF and provide good juice in multiple categories. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Maybe this will be the year he finally hits 20 homers. 

On 6/9/2021 at 2:37 PM, Richard Kimble said:

I say this is the year he finally surpasses the 20-HR plateau

Part of my recommendation here is the park change; we don't have all the data yet, but ostensibly this new alignment of the fences would have added anywhere from 5-8 HRs to Belt's totals in previous seasons, and we're seeing how he has become the beneficiary alongside Crawford, Posey, Longoria, all having nice power surges this year.

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Part of my recommendation here is the park change; we don't have all the data yet, but ostensibly this new alignment of the fences would have added anywhere from 5-8 HRs to Belt's totals in previous seasons, and we're seeing how he has become the beneficiary alongside Crawford, Posey, Longoria, all having nice power surges this year.

Nice. I didn't realize they moved the fences. Now I'm interested haha.

Just now, 2ndCitySox said:

Nice. I didn't realize they moved the fences. Now I'm interested haha.

Right, this is something they couldn't exactly build into projections, but this is part of explanation for the increased HR power you're seeing from those guys. I read something that said Belt specifically projected to get the biggest power boost way back in the offseason. Health is always key with him, but he's going to produce if able. Kind of crazy he's been with them his entire career, and I wonder if he can't string together a few nice years and rewrite his story from here. I'd like to see him retire as a Giant, and I'm curious now to see where he ranks amongst tenured players with one club in MLB, he has to be near the top.

5 hours ago, street sharks said:

You guys look at his statcast? He's doing his best Joey Gallo impression

Interesting comp. I will say Belt has gotten almost the same in production in 70 less at bats!

Mr Kimble might be on to something here...

23 minutes ago, fingy said:

Any news on his injury? DL seems likely but couldn't find much on expected return date

He has a history of knee problems. I’d prepare for a 2-4 week hiatus even if the MRI results are good.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...