NBC Sports Edge Forums

Searched for a thread on big Mike but couldn’t find one. He is one of my favorite breakout picks this year. I think this could be the year he puts it all together. Hunter Henry is gone. He is in a contract year. Should be a very productive passing offense. He should be available in the late rounds of drafts, and I think he is going to be a steal. 

• Like 2

Agree.. call me crazy, but I traded Mahomes in my dynasty league for Herbert + Mike Williams. With a full offseason to work on their chemistry, Mike Williams has a very realistic shot at another 10TD (or more) season, plus 1000+ yards. With no dominant rushing game, Chargers are geared to air it out all season and they have the receivers to do it.

Could easily be mid-high WR2. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m aggressively trying to get shares of this offense this season now that they are finally resetting the coaching staff.

Mike Williams will always be a deep threat but with that comes less consistent targets and production. Besides the obvious of “score more TDs”, how does Mike Williams progress this season to be a more stable flex option in your lineup? 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:11 PM, Joe Mama said:

seems to be on everyone's breakout list every year, i've been burned before so skeptical but maybe every previous year was the year.

fixed. 

.... and full stop 🛑

• Like 1

I’m just not too worried about getting burned by a guy that I can get with one of my last picks in the draft....

We’ve seen this guy go for 1,000 yards. We’ve seen him go for 10+ TDs. It should surprise nobody if he puts together an awesome season with Herbert at the helm. Additionally, if Allen goes down, WR1 potential. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

I’m just not too worried about getting burned by a guy that I can get with one of my last picks in the draft....

We’ve seen this guy go for 1,000 yards. We’ve seen him go for 10+ TDs. It should surprise nobody if he puts together an awesome season with Herbert at the helm. Additionally, if Allen goes down, WR1 potential. 

it's not the draft capital, it's plugging him in when you need him in a big JUICY MATCHUP!!1!!!11!!!11111!11111!!!!111!!!! and he goes 3/28/0. 

but, hey ... there ya go. 

• Like 3

Legit z-slot honker in the back!!! Ownership-wise, I don't know & with their young QB, why build a rapport with a WR who won't be returning. If they sign him long-term it's a go for me!  

On 6/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, AirForceOne said:

Agree.. call me crazy, but I traded Mahomes in my dynasty league for Herbert + Mike Williams. With a full offseason to work on their chemistry, Mike Williams has a very realistic shot at another 10TD (or more) season, plus 1000+ yards. With no dominant rushing game, Chargers are geared to air it out all season and they have the receivers to do it.

Could easily be mid-high WR2. 

Crazy.

• Haha 2

LOL Mike Williams is what he is.  Will have big weeks and will have goose eggs.  Nothing is going to change that.  Strong pick in best ball leagues.  Otherwise, streaky WR3 at best.  

I'm not too high on Williams given his inconsistency so far to start his career but you really can't go wrong taking him at his current ADP (early 50's WR, overall ADP around pick 140).  As someone else above posted, he's put together both a 1,000 yard and 10TD season.  The coaching upgrade, year 2 of Herbert (getting in a full off-season with QB1 reps), loss of Hunter Henry are all positives and could have MWill primed for a career season.

• Like 2

It doesn't seem like anyone here realizes it is a totally new offense this year (and entirely new offensive staff)?

Way too soon to declare him anything other than a talented (and injury prone) lotto ticket.

They also spent decent capital on a very interesting 3rd Rd WR, Josh Palmer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It doesn't seem like anyone here realizes it is a totally new offense this year (and entirely new offensive staff)?

Way too soon to declare him anything other than a talented (and injury prone) lotto ticket.

They also spent decent capital on a very interesting 3rd Rd WR, Josh Palmer.

And they spent top 10 capital on mike Williams. Who cares about palmer lol. Dude was a 5th rounder until the sr bowl. unless this new OC says hey don’t throw the ball to Williams, I think he’ll be fine. Target leaders are going to be Keenan ekeler and mike will. Sure maybe he gets injured. Maybe anyone gets injured. I remember when keenan Allen got the injury prone label bc of a freak kidney laceration. 

I believe Mike Williams has a ton of talent, has had a couple of strongly productive seasons despite very limited usage, and is at super low, risk free cost.

I also believe that this offense feeds targets to Allen and Ekeler, and Herbert spreads the remainder around to many guys, rather than Williams making this a three pronged attack with everyone else getting scraps.

4 hours ago, Andypro said:

Mike Williams is the reason everyone should go to best ball scoring. 

I bet you probably thought this sentence made sense before you typed it

16 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I bet you probably thought this sentence made sense before you typed it

If a concept is too difficult for you to understand, just ask for help, and I'll explain it to you. Allow me to demonstrate:

You see, Mike Williams is too hit-or-miss to trust as a starter when you have to set your lineup. But, in best ball scoring, you don't have to set your lineup, but rather the automated scoring just takes the WRs that score the most and puts them in your lineup. 

So, when Mike Williams goes off, you get credit for his big day. When he has his all-too-common 3-28 days, you have several other WRs on your roster to pick up the slack. 

Hope that helps. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Andypro said:

If a concept is too difficult for you to understand, just ask for help, and I'll explain it to you. Allow me to demonstrate:

You see, Mike Williams is too hit-or-miss to trust as a starter when you have to set your lineup. But, in best ball scoring, you don't have to set your lineup, but rather the automated scoring just takes the WRs that score the most and puts them in your lineup. 

So, when Mike Williams goes off, you get credit for his big day. When he has his all-too-common 3-28 days, you have several other WRs on your roster to pick up the slack. 

Hope that helps. 

I know how best ball works, but to suggest everyone should play it because Mike Williams a boom/bust WR3 makes far less sense than you seem to think it does

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

makes far less sense than you seem to think it does

Of course Mike Williams isn't the sole reason leagues should use best ball scoring, it's called hyperbole. Mike Williams is an example that illustrates the validity of the concept. 

Your criticism of my initial comment makes far less sense than you think it does. 

22 hours ago, Andypro said:

Of course Mike Williams isn't the sole reason leagues should use best ball scoring, it's called hyperbole. Mike Williams is an example that illustrates the validity of the concept. 

Your criticism of my initial comment makes far less sense than you think it does. 

Just say: “Mike Williams is better in best ball formats”. Happy to be of assistance.