NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Your Favorite Sleepers for 2021?

I'm not sure if all of them classify as Sleepers (and this is maybe more from a dynasty prospective), but here are some guys I am really happy to own or I am really trying to get.

Adam Trautman
The TE in NO now. Had some good games and flashed some promising skills in the end of his rookie season.

Elijah Moore
Picked at the top of the second round by the new regime in NY. Making a lot of noise in camps. I could see him leading to the release of Crowder and/or eating a lot into Mims' target share.

Carson Wentz
If you look at his PPG from last year, I think he still finished as QB12 and everybody knows how garbage the Eagles looked at times. He is now back with his old OC behind one of the best OLines in the Game. A solid rungame should make it even easier. Only downside is his receivers - even though I like Pitman - it isn't looking great.

Tua Tagovailoa
This probably doesn't classify as a Sleeper because the name is well known, but I just checked and FantasyPros has him as QB21 in redraft and I don't think that it's happening. This may be a gamble but with the upgrades the Dolphins made around Tua I'm pretty sure he can be a borderline QB1. It's his make or break year. If he can't get it done...

• Like 2

disclosure:    this post is geared towards 14 team leagues that start 3 wr's and a flex.

qb's:   Justin Fields - dual threat that's fast, has a strong arm, and good receivers; after Mahomes, Allen, Murray, Wilson, Herbert I see a bunch of qb's with question marks.  Lamar Jackson with his deep ball at 4?  Prescott at 5 with his injury?  Burrow at 13?  Why can't Fields be as good as Jalen Hurts at 10th qb off the board?  Sure, Nagy is demented, but he likes to pass.  I didn't put Rodgers with that top tier because he's always been on my dnd d-bags list.

Cam Newton - teams red zone running back and won't be throwing to a bunch of cones now that the team has rostered some nfl talent to play te.  Living in Patty country I hear every week how much mockery this man endures from the "if ya ain't winning Soupa Bowls then what good ayya?" fanbase.  Makes me want to start him just to hear the guffaws from the homers.   His passes may be ugly but his game is fantasy friendly.

rb's:   Gus Bus, JD McKissic, Rashaad Penny  all guys that can be drafted late and have established roles on their offenses who will get you consistent points.  

Salvon Ahmed - proven he can put up some points and Gaskin probably isn't the long term answer for the Fins.

wr's;  Laviska Shenault - won't be the most productive wr on your or probably his own team, but having players like him on the roster is why I play FF.

Darnell Mooney - will be open and flying downfield past single coverage with an accurate, strong armed qb throwing at him.

Henry Ruggs -  big upside if they use him like they envisioned when they drafted him.  Now he's healthy and had a full offseason.

Corey Davis -  Jets paid him like a #1 but he's getting drafted as the 45th wr off the board?  psh.

te's;   Travis Kelce, Darren Waller  -  you're waiting for sleepers at qb and wr, maybe rb.  just go get one of these guys and win the position every week.

• Like 2

Jalen Hurd WR, SFO

- ya like Samuel & Aiyuk? well, this kid is even more physical and beastly when healthy and out there burying a foo' like he just slapped his momma. 

it's a yuuuuuuge gamble what with the propensity to get nicked if the wind blows the wrong way, but that's the price ya pay when you're this freakish. 

Rondale Moore WR, 'Zona

- a team wif quite a few glaring needs elsewhere decided to snag a WR in the 2nd rd ... tells ya a ton about dër Kliffster's juice on this kid - take that fwiw. 

anyways, a powerful lil' pocket rocket (KYLER LOOKS TALL NEXT TO HIM), he was an explosive bugger for dem Boilermakers ... you pluck a chap like this to manufacture touches - especially on a team lacking a legit powerhouse #1 rb.  

what's that? Tavon Austin 2.0? 

i say Tavon was drafted by one of the most vanilla offensive philosophies of the modern era (Fisher was a banana peel away from leather helmets) ... i'll take a flyer on this chap being used in the Harvin/Samuel type role on an offense that can't help but try to prove how cute n' ahead of the curve they are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rocklandrew said:

rb's:   Gus Bus, JD McKissic, Rashaad Penny  all guys that can be drafted late and have established roles on their offenses who will get you consistent points.  

Agree with Edwards in standard and McKissic in ppr, but Rashaad Penny's only established role is in the ice bath of the trainer's room in Kirkland.  Dude is the most injury prone Seahawk RB this side of CJ Prosise.  And, since nothing Pete Carroll says about running back health can ever be trusted, all of the glowing reports about Penny's recovery (there have not been many lately) are not worth a hill of beans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

These are sleepers for 12 team, 1 QB leagues:

OJ Howard--Gronk has the big name, but Howard has the wheels.  Was starting to "get it" with Brady's help prior to his injury in 2020.

Ryan Fitzpatrick--Mentally tough and has some pretty good weapons as well as a great defense behind him to set up short fields.  WFT gave Tampa nearly all they could handle in the playoffs last year with Tyler Heineken at QB for Pete's sake.

Sony Michel--Other Patriot RBs are getting all the love, but Michel was a first round pick.  I think Michel was playing hurt the last couple of years.  If he returns to full health?  New England is going to run enough to put even Baltimore to shame.

CeeDee Lamb--Decent rookie WR numbers from this player, until you consider the QBs throwing him the ball and the massive team-wide dysfunction on both sides of the ball.  With Dak returning and the O-line rounding back into shape, the sky's the limit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

These are sleepers for 12 team, 1 QB leagues:

OJ Howard--Gronk has the big name, but Howard has the wheels.  Was starting to "get it" with Brady's help prior to his injury in 2020.

Ryan Fitzpatrick--Mentally tough and has some pretty good weapons as well as a great defense behind him to set up short fields.  WFT gave Tampa nearly all they could handle in the playoffs last year with Tyler Heineken at QB for Pete's sake.

Sony Michel--Other Patriot RBs are getting all the love, but Michel was a first round pick.  I think Michel was playing hurt the last couple of years.  If he returns to full health?  New England is going to run enough to put even Baltimore to shame.

CeeDee Lamb--Decent rookie WR numbers from this player, until you consider the QBs throwing him the ball and the massive team-wide dysfunction on both sides of the ball.  With Dak returning and the O-line rounding back into shape, the sky's the limit.

Howard is a great post hype post hype post hype post hype sleeper.

• Haha 7

RB Damien Harris - NE - ran hard last year. Could be a cheap source of 1K+ rushing yards and 8+ TDs in this new look NE offense.

RB Jamaal Williams - DET - He's a good player. Will have a role in DET. 8-10 rushes/3-5 catches per game are within reach.

WR Tyler Boyd - CIN - Boyd was a rock solid WR2 when Burrow was healthy last year. He's currently ranked in the mid-30's for WR. I think he easily outperforms and returns solid WR2 value as long as Burrow can stay healthy. 

TE Tyler Higbee - LAR - Stafford's presence in LA should elevate the entire offense. Gerald Everett out of the picture leaves Higbee as the TE to own in LA.

• Like 3

OJ Howard, nope. Never gonna happen. Sony Michel…bahahaha, Damien Harris…maybe, I think you mean Ramondre Stevenson. CeeDee Lamb, umm he’s not a sleeper. Ryan Fitzmagic? I guess his old a** counts since there’s literally no one else behind him.

The Trey Lance call I like a lot, but is he really a sleeper?

Terrace Marshal, Elijah Moore, Jalen Hurd, Adam Trautman could all show out. 

Edited by FantaC!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FantaC! said:

OJ Howard, nope. Never gonna happen. Sony Michel…bahahaha, Damien Harris…maybe, I think you mean Ramondre Stevenson. CeeDee Lamb, umm he’s not a sleeper. Ryan Fitzmagic? I guess his old a** counts since there’s literally no one else behind him.

The Trey Lance call I like a lot, but is he really a sleeper?

Terrace Marshal, Elijah Moore, Jalen Hurd, Adam Trautman could all show out. 

There are sleepers and deep sleepers.  In redraft a 5th round player who plays like a first rounder...maybe not a "sleeper."  But I want that player.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 7:58 PM, Mr2Saint said:

RB Damien Harris - NE - ran hard last year. Could be a cheap source of 1K+ rushing yards and 8+ TDs in this new look NE offense.

RB Jamaal Williams - DET - He's a good player. Will have a role in DET. 8-10 rushes/3-5 catches per game are within reach.

WR Tyler Boyd - CIN - Boyd was a rock solid WR2 when Burrow was healthy last year. He's currently ranked in the mid-30's for WR. I think he easily outperforms and returns solid WR2 value as long as Burrow can stay healthy. 

TE Tyler Higbee - LAR - Stafford's presence in LA should elevate the entire offense. Gerald Everett out of the picture leaves Higbee as the TE to own in LA.

Agreed on the Boyd take. He is going to be a really great value pick this year. 

• Like 1

Elijah Mitchell - 49ers (6th round RB with a nice athletic profile)

Adam Trautman- Saints My favorite late round TE target. Elite blocker that will be on the field a lot and was incredibly efficient in a small sample size as a rookie. 

gabriel davis (all formats) & emmanuel sanders (PPR)

• john brown is gone, davis takes his spot; the kid has talent
  • josh allen is throwing more often, rushing inclination dipping, and his accuracy continues to improve (from 52% to an outstanding 69% last season). bills offense is great — get a piece for free**
  • sanders may have lost some separation ability since the achilles operation, but he is solid with dependable hands; last season he played great with a run-heavy QB (61 rec / 726 yards / 5 TDs, numbers outscoring MThomas).
  • cole beasely (82 rec / 967 yards / 4 TDs) is almost gone... he refuses to get vaccinated and says he’d rather retire. the player’s association is fully onboard with restrictions for unvaccinated individuals (masks, daily testing, can’t leave hotel when on the road, etc.). 

** for deeper leagues and for leagues with 2+ FLEX positions, both will destroy their ADPs (PPR)

• gabriel davis 13.11
  • emmanuel sanders 14.08

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

• josh allen is throwing more often, rushing inclination dipping, and his accuracy continues to improve (from 52% to an outstanding 69% last season). bills offense is great — get a piece for free**
  • sanders may have lost some separation ability since the achilles operation, but he is solid with dependable hands; last season he played great with a run-heavy QB (61 rec / 726 yards / 5 TDs, numbers outscoring MThomas).
  • cole beasely (82 rec / 967 yards / 4 TDs) is almost gone... he refuses to get vaccinated and says he’d rather retire. the player’s association is fully onboard with restrictions for unvaccinated individuals (masks, daily testing, can’t leave hotel when on the road, etc.). 

** for deeper leagues and for leagues with 2+ FLEX positions, both will destroy their ADPs (PPR)

• gabriel davis 13.11
  • emmanuel sanders 14.08

Just to clarify, the Beasley quote got taken way out of context. He did not say he'd rather retire than get the vaccine. He said, he won't get the vaccine, and if they force him to retire, he will. He's playing the victim in some imagined persecution scenario. No one is going to make him retire. They just want him to follow protocols because it would be dangerous for him not to. No one is out to get him.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, ajs723 said:

Just to clarify, the Beasley quote got taken way out of context. He did not say he'd rather retire than get the vaccine. He said, he won't get the vaccine, and if they force him to retire, he will. He's playing the victim in some imagined persecution scenario. No one is going to make him retire. They just want him to follow protocols because it would be dangerous for him not to. No one is out to get him.

Turns out Cole Beasley is exactly how I imagined him to be. hah. 

I'm liking Gabriel Davis too. I'm not sure if he breaks all the way out this season but I wouldn't be surprised if he was a top top breakout star heading into next season. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 7:34 AM, Sack Exchange said:

• gabriel davis 13.11
  • emmanuel sanders 14.08

So prison or get vaccination seems fair.

• Like 1

Some early guys on my list:

evan engram

darrel Henderson 

rashod bateman

Michael carter 

trey sermon 

mike Williams - the others seem obvious based on current adps but let me expand on MW- chargers lose henry and his adp falls. Didnt draft any threats to his target share. Herbert looks to be an elite qb in the making. Guys just made he got injured last year I guess 

There a lot of nice deal if you are drafting now before espn and the Matthew berry types start doing there articles.

Got diggs in the late second in one draft and Adams in the second also.

The sleepers will be plastered on tv and internet.

Why I like to draft a little earlier. 

On 6/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, ajs723 said:

They just want him to follow protocols because it would be dangerous for him not to. No one is out to get him.

Eh.. I don't get what all the fuss is about. If you're vaccinated and everything we are hearing is the vaccine works, why does an unvaccinated person ruffle your feathers? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, fingers said:

Eh.. I don't get what all the fuss is about. If you're vaccinated and everything we are hearing is the vaccine works, why does an unvaccinated person ruffle your feathers? 

Vaccine isn't quite 100% effective. But more importantly, not everyone is vaccinated. So being unvaccinated and not following protocols literally means you might kill someone.

I'm not saying people should be held down and forcibly vaccinated, I'm just saying if you're going to be irresponsible enough to not get the vaccine, then of course you have to follow protocols. Neither Beasley, nor anyone else, has any grounds to complain about that. 

• Like 3