NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kolby Allard 2021 Outlook

Former big time prospect, had struggled with control the last two seasons.  So far this season 37K / 9BB in 34 IP.  Held the Dodgers to no runs over 5 innings last night.

Started the year in the bullpen, so he might not go real deep into games. But should be able to go 5 or 6 innings if he keeps his pitch count down. Still only 23 years old.

He was never a big time prospect. Never had the ceiling, never showed the production. His "big time" prospect status was balooned because he was a lefty who was supposed to be in the mid 90s. But he has always thrown in the low 90s throughout his minor league career. He sucks. 

I just had a real Mandela effect moment with this guy, I could have sworn his name was Koby, not Kolby. I found an eBay listing of his rookie card under Koby that I thought was a smoking gun, but the seller had misspelled it and Kolby was the name on the card. Anyone taking a shot on him in deeper leagues, even as a stash and bench in case he has another 5-6 inning outing with good numbers against Minny tomorrow? He's cut way down on the walks, striking out enough guys to be useful if he can consistently go deep enough to qualify for a W. 

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 6:50 AM, Travis Burten said:

He was never a big time prospect. Never had the ceiling, never showed the production. His "big time" prospect status was balooned because he was a lefty who was supposed to be in the mid 90s. But he has always thrown in the low 90s throughout his minor league career. He sucks. 

I know this post is old but it is so full of bad information I just had to reply. 

He was drafted 14th overall out of high school, IDK about you but to me I consider that a big prospect. The kid is still only 23 years old and is sporting a 2.92 era with a very respectable 4.11 K/BB and 9.8 K/9. Theres not many 23 year old pitchers with stats better than that. Will he be an all star? Idk probably not but he's not done improving as a pitcher and he does not suck

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

I know this post is old but it is so full of bad information I just had to reply. 

He was drafted 14th overall out of high school, IDK about you but to me I consider that a big prospect. The kid is still only 23 years old and is sporting a 2.92 era with a very respectable 4.11 K/BB and 9.8 K/9. Theres not many 23 year old pitchers with stats better than that. Will he be an all star? Idk probably not but he's not done improving as a pitcher and he does not suck

1) Drafted 14th overall --> I acknowledged he was considered a big time prospect because he had the power lefty profile, but he never actually WAS THAT GUY. He never was a true elite prospect, ever. I know, I drafted him and I saw lists really inflate his ranking the first year because of the hype. But once we got going, we knew what he wasn't. 

2) Surely he was not as good as they expected, and took some time to get to where he is today

3) 2.92 ERA and a very respectable 4.11 K/bb and 9.8k/9? Are you seriously referencing his stats after 10 relief appearances and 3 starts? He didn't even pitch 15 innings across those 3 starts either! 

In 2019, his ERA/WHIP was 4.96/1.57 and his average velo was 92.5mph. In 2020, he went 7.75/1.51 with an average velo of 91.6. This year he has an average velo of 91.8 

SO your argument is, Allard does not suck? And that he's improving as a pitcher? [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed condescending callout. Make your points without attacking others.
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

1) Drafted 14th overall --> I acknowledged he was considered a big time prospect because he had the power lefty profile, but he never actually WAS THAT GUY. He never was a true elite prospect, ever. I know, I drafted him and I saw lists really inflate his ranking the first year because of the hype. But once we got going, we knew what he wasn't. 

2) Surely he was not as good as they expected, and took some time to get to where he is today

3) 2.92 ERA and a very respectable 4.11 K/bb and 9.8k/9? Are you seriously referencing his stats after 10 relief appearances and 3 starts? He didn't even pitch 15 innings across those 3 starts either! 

In 2019, his ERA/WHIP was 4.96/1.57 and his average velo was 92.5mph. In 2020, he went 7.75/1.51 with an average velo of 91.6. This year he has an average velo of 91.8 

SO your argument is, Allard does not suck? And that he's improving as a pitcher? [...]

Here’s an educational tool as requested:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lonestarball.com/platform/amp/2021/6/14/22532974/texas-rangers-kolby-allard-2021-starting-pitcher

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[...]

The short sample numbers this year say otherwise, and its legitimately time to ask if he's worth noticing in deeper leagues. You need to move quicker and react to small sample trends there, because other owners are looking for the same information. Luis Garcia's wasn't a big-time prospect heading into this year, either. Sometimes guys just figure things out when they get some opportunity, and we're trying to foster that discussion by asking legitimate questions. Thanks to BMcP for doing what we all could do-use that thing called Google. Every single time we post we could probably just Google it ourselves, but presumably there are people here who want to help provide insight, rather than just negativity, and you know which category you fit into. Hope you all have a great day.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed reference to deleted comments.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The fact he was pitching in MLB games at 20 years old is impressive regardless of results. To pull out a 21/22 year old's stats in major league games to say he's not any good, doesn't make much sense. Most guys are fumbling around down in A or AA at that age. There's a lot of potential for this to blow up quickly, but his numbers thus far and how he looked vs LAD are promising. Even if he tanks the rest of this year, this is still a developing young pitcher that's only in the majors because Texas' pitching has, does, and will continue to suck forever it seems. 

• Like 5

Alright I added him. Yes, I agree you need to jump on pitchers early, even if the stats are in SSS. I just don't see any notable change in his pitch use, velocity, new pitches, mechanic change, etc. 

That article was a solid read, and given his performance today, I'd rather be wrong with him on my team but I personally don't see a bright outlook..

8 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Alright I added him. Yes, I agree you need to jump on pitchers early, even if the stats are in SSS. I just don't see any notable change in his pitch use, velocity, new pitches, mechanic change, etc. 

That article was a solid read, and given his performance today, I'd rather be wrong with him on my team but I personally don't see a bright outlook..

Atta boy!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

I added too but not impressed much 😃

Edited by ChrisChinMcCaffrey

On 6/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, stay_woke said:

It was only one week old lol Anyway he’s still young and has already improved from last season. His era probably won’t stay under 3 the rest of the way. But a k/9 of around 9 and an era in the 3.5-4 region together with a decent whip is certainly attainable and serviceable for many managers.

• Like 1