NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB Waiver Wire and Streaming Thread 2021 Week 11

MLB Waiver Wire and Streaming Thread 2021 Week 11

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups and streaming options for week 11 of the 2021 MLB season.

It is not for the following:

Comments that fall into one of these categories or are otherwise not on topic for this thread will be removed.

Some discussion of waiver suggestions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

You know who just got back from injury? Aristedes Aquino.  Will he have playing time though?  Good gamble in deeper leagues.

Mentioned him too yesterday in week 10 thread, along with Nick Gordon as opposing examples of deep league plays for HRs or steals. Both will have playing time challenges, but could be worth a bench spot in leagues that owners just need a plug in that can produce with upside if they ever find more regular PT. On the same theme of back from injury, both Zach Britton and Seth Lugo are back. Lugo pitched 3 straight games and struck out the side in the 3rd outing before resting today, so he looks totally healthy again and ready to be a big part of that bullpen. Miguel Rojas and Kolten Wong are returning from injuries in the early/mid-week along with Luis Arraez if managers need help at MI, and I'm also liking Sergio Alcantara for the deeper leagues needing MI help. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

On the same theme of back from injury, both Zach Britton and Seth Lugo are back. Lugo pitched 3 straight games and struck out the side in the 3rd outing before resting today, so he looks totally healthy again and ready to be a big part of that bullpen.

Yeah, Lugo looks great and should be a Holds machine moving forward, plus he has that SP/RP designation in ESPN (maybe other platforms) that can be huge in many leagues.

10 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

and I'm also liking Sergio Alcantara for the deeper leagues needing MI help. 

I am too. He's playing really good, and even with Duffy due back (Ross said the order would be Duffy, Hoerner, and then Bote...) I think he can still sustain value. I'm unsure if Alcantara has that "4th option" year thing going on, but pretty sure he qualifies. If he doesn't, I'm not so sure the Cubs are going to want to risk losing him. They're pretty high on him right now. I feel confident rostering him in my mixed league even with all of the depth they are getting back. We shall see...

44 minutes ago, nlm said:

I'm unsure if Alcantara has that "4th option"

My understanding is that he is out of minor league options, so when they called him up (he was a Rule 5 guy this offseason and the Tigers look stupid for letting him go) that he is basically going to be with the Cubs the rest of the year as long as he contributes. So far, so good. 

im liking minor vs detroit this week (tomorrow).  hes been getting solid k's for the last 7 or 8 outings and seems to have made some adjustments.

What do you guys think of Votto moving forward? Muncy owners are probably looking for 1B help. With Wisdom cooling off and Schoop banged up, Votto could be worth a try.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

My understanding is that he is out of minor league options, so when they called him up (he was a Rule 5 guy this offseason and the Tigers look stupid for letting him go) that he is basically going to be with the Cubs the rest of the year as long as he contributes. So far, so good. 

Pretty sure he has that "4th option": https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3522

Which is good news for a guy like Wisdom, who otherwise might've been a part of the roster crunch. I love how Alcantra is playing--would prefer him to Duffy--but Duffy is going to be back soon.

I still like Alcantara as a short-term add. Kid can seriously play. 

Edited by nlm
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

What do you guys think of Votto moving forward? Muncy owners are probably looking for 1B help. With Wisdom cooling off and Schoop banged up, Votto could be worth a try.

In fairness to Wisdom, he's only had two 0-fors and in the game he didn't start he had a pinch hit... I still think he's reliable if he's in the lineup; I like him more than Votto, anyway.

Luke Voit is on a minor league rehab assignment. I don't know if your leagues are deep enough where he's on someone's IL (here!), but if it's a shallow league he might be on waivers. Yankees have been a mess and so has his season, but it's worth the risk/reward.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

A guy I've been holding for the last couple starts, though didn't have the balls to start tonight at home is Austin Gomber. Seems to be getting stronger every start, and tonight he went 8 IP, 3H, 0BB, 4K and is in line for the win against the Padres. His next start is in Colorado as well vs the Brewers I believe, and regardless  of the outcome, I will be riding this pony for the foreseeable future.

10 hours ago, fatbob166 said:

A guy I've been holding for the last couple starts, though didn't have the balls to start tonight at home is Austin Gomber. Seems to be getting stronger every start, and tonight he went 8 IP, 3H, 0BB, 4K and is in line for the win against the Padres. His next start is in Colorado as well vs the Brewers I believe, and regardless  of the outcome, I will be riding this pony for the foreseeable future.

I was half-joking to someone in my league when I said Austin Gomber has been (literally) the best stream in the entire league all season. I truly believe that in some ways. Never sticks on a team, but he's been used by almost everyone once.

• Like 1

Aristides Aquino is my tout. First game back and he hit a bomb and walked.

He showed good plate discipline in his Minor League rehab stint with 8 walks, which is encouraging. The power is also obviously real and gigantic. If the Reds play him enough, perhaps even to showcase him in a trade, I think he will hit. Maybe not for average, but the power is absolutely still there.

I also like David Fletcher if he's available on your wire. 2/3 two nights ago, 4/5 last night. He's a streaky guy and this could be the beginning of one.

19 hours ago, nlm said:

In fairness to Wisdom, he's only had two 0-fors and in the game he didn't start he had a pinch hit... I still think he's reliable if he's in the lineup; I like him more than Votto, anyway.

Another HR last night in a low-scoring affair.... in case anyone wasn't paying attention.... I think this Wisdom kid might be a legit post-post-hype sleeper.

• Like 1

Matt Manning may be someone to add or watch closely with his debut Thursday

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Matt Manning may be someone to add or watch closely with his debut Thursday

amazed I got to him on my wire before someone else. I was going to make the obvious tout but you beat me to it. His AAA numbers have been terrible, but one thing that I know is the Tigers want to ease Mize's innings back.... If Manning can succeed out of the gates, they may go 6-man rotation or something crazy to get creative and keep Mize's IP limit down. This is just my opinion and it stems from all the weird stuff they were doing with their rotation earlier in the year.

We'll see though... I picked him up as a wait & see. Too good of a chance to pass up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Ended up adding Wisdom over Votto. Both looking good to start the week.

Wrong decision go get Votto if you still can, even in a shallow 10-team league Joey's got the big edge, if it involves OBP fuhgedaboutit...also

9 hours ago, nlm said:

David Fletcher

ewww...slugging is .317....empty BA, no power or speed, hasn't hit a single barrel yet, he only gets consideration because he has multi-position eligibilty, but that 4-hit game brought his avg up to .272. There are better options in deep leagues and beyond. I'd rather have Donovan Solano, who is actually heating up of late, or maybe Tony Kemp who's been getting decent PT. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Wrong decision go get Votto if you still can, even in a shallow 10-team league Joey's got the big edge, if it involves OBP fuhgedaboutit...

If we didn’t have limited moves I might give it another look. Hopefully it’s just temporary until Bellinger and/or Muncy gets back.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, Richard Kimble said:

Why do they look stupid? Very little xbh power throughout his minor league career...terrible base-stealer...low ba. Just because he’s off to a decent 2021 start doesn’t mean the Tigers were wrong for letting him go. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Why do they look stupid? Very little xbh power throughout his minor league career...terrible base-stealer...low ba. Just because he’s off to a decent 2021 start doesn’t mean the Tigers were wrong for letting him go. 

Have you seen who they have been running out there this season? I'm not going to go back and analyze their roster and whether they had to do it or whatever, but compared to the Castros and other types they've been running out at MI, I'm sure they are wishing they hung onto Alcantara to give him a little look. They stuck with Jeimer Candelario through some bad seasons and he's turned into a productive hitter. Most of all, Sergio seems like a guy who fits well in a clubhouse, not a stud contributor but he'd be a fan favorite in Detroit if he could be an everyday player. The Tigers certainly aren't in a position to let talent walk away.

Edited by Richard Kimble
3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

More or less what Kimble said...their IF is pretty brutal. I'm not the biggest Alcantara fan, but he can definitely play defense...and that plays in the MLB. Andrelton Simmons has made a career out of it. Do I really think he ends up starting for the Cubs longterm (or continues starting when regulars get back)? Probably not. But he would fit on the Tigers' current roster and give them more of a jolt than a lot of the other players they're trotting out.. On the Cubs' end, he would look good as the 26th man on the roster--a utility guy, essentially. But I have to make a correction:

On 6/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, Richard Kimble said:

He wasn't a Rule 5 guy, he was DFA'd by the Tigers back in January so they could sign Wilson Ramos.

So in a vacuum, they picked an old, washed-up catcher over hanging onto a prospect. That is what makes them look stupid more than anything. I understand how the 40 man works, but some teams don't need to spend 2 million on a Wilson Ramos-type just to say "Hey, we signed someone!"... The Tigers fit this billing.

---

Back to waivers...

Fire up Joshua Fuentes, the Coors Field masher. 4 games on tap... he is a complete example of how home/road splits can be extreme. I've posted them before, so I won't do it again. Just trust me or look them up yourself.

Edited by nlm
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, nlm said:

Fire up Joshua Fuentes, the Coors Field masher. 4 games on tap... he is a complete example of how home/road splits can be extreme. I've posted them before, so I won't do it again. Just trust me or look them up yourself.

I love how he subtly got his named upgraded from Josh to Joshua...wonder if his Mother complained about it. "Joshua, that's your given name, they should use it son." 😂

12 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I love how he subtly got his named upgraded from Josh to Joshua...wonder if his Mother complained about it. "Joshua, that's your given name, they should use it son." 😂

Hahaha--was his name listed as Josh before? I've only noticed him as "Joshua" in Yahoo!.... I don't follow the Rockies at all this year (unless I'm streaming someone against them on the road or using good ol' Joshua!).

Edited by nlm

Yeah he was Josh last year in his first cup of coffee and Josh through the first 6 weeks, then it changed. It immediately make me think of old Mike Stanton. 

As for some real deep and NL only league SP options, Sean Reid-Foley is worth a stash in case deGrom has to miss some time, and Paolo Espino might be a decent innings eater with low K potential, matchup kind of play, but opportunity is there in the Nats rotation at the moment and they're heating up offensively. From that end, if Kyle Schwarber is available in some 12-teamers, he's on fire at the top of the order, I'd take him over someone like Renfroe, Santander, Duvall.

• tonycpsu locked and unpinned this topic