NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Anthony Volpe- SS NYY

Parkj20

Surprised to not see a thread on him already. This might be my favorite young prospect right now. Displaying power, speed and plate discipline in A ball and still a young 20 years old. 6 hr, 16 sb and slashing .291/.418/.545 with a 17.6 bb% and 16.4 k%. Seems to be a little under the radar in prospect circles as Peraza getting all the attention in the Yankees organization but I think this kid could be the real deal and should be skyrocketing up prospect lists. What does everyone here think his ceiling is? Are we buying his start to the year?

• Like 4

Definitely has started the year on an absolute tear. Have had my eye on him all season long. He’s one of just a handful of players that has walked more than he’s struck out. Couple that with his speed and power and a solid average and you have yourself a hell of a player.
Now I do think we have to at least slightly, if not significantly, discount the SB total since in Low A ball they have limited pick offs to just 2 attempts before the runner can automatically advance on a failed third attempt. Huge advantage to the runner. 16sb still shows he has speed but I think it’s inflated quite a bit due to the potentially advantageous leads runners could be getting on the bases.

It’s hard to say just how much to discount the SBs based on the rule but to put it into context, with 16 Volpe is tied for 7th in Low-A. However, there are 106 players that have 4 or more SB in low-A and 27 players with double digit SB totals already, a month and a half into the season. I’m no expert in minor league SB totals, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s a ton of players with 10+ SBs already. Again, to put it into context, during 2019 Low-A short season only 24 players had 10+ SBs for the YEAR! Going by this, the rule appears to be drastically increasing SB totals over the league.

So what exactly does 16sb mean for volpe at this point in the season? Still means he’s fast, but I would say maybe discount it by about 25-50% because of the rule. Just a guesstimate on my end but even with that discount you still have a power/speed combo with Volpe .

• Like 1

He is one to watch, I think some folks just weren't paying a ton of attention after his underwhelming debut in rookie ball--.215/.345/.355 but upon digging deeper he was also dealing with Mononucleosis too. Some of the main sources I utilize all seem to have him ranked from #11 (pipeline) to #14 (fangraphs) and #15 (klaw). All sound a bit different too:

Klaw- "The Yankees’ first-round pick in 2019, Volpe is a very polished, intelligent high school infielder from New Jersey who doesn’t have an above-average tool. It seems like a large bet on his ability to hit and his overall baseball IQ. The 18-year-old is not a shortstop, but might be OK at second."

Kiley- There’s no change here. The steadiest infield defender among the high schoolers in the 2019 Draft, Volpe compared similarly to Oakland A’s shortstop Nick Allen when he was a high schooler. Volpe will likely be a plus shortstop defender — his feet, hands, and actions are all plus, his range is average — and he has good feel for contact, but he lacks both present strength and the physical projection that enables teams to anticipate strength will come. Keep in mind that this is what Peraza’s scouting report read like last year, and he appears poised to make so much contact as to render his relatively modest raw power projection irrelevant. That path is the one Volpe could take to an everyday role, but it’s more likely that he ends up a glove-first utility type.

Pipeline- While Volpe isn't physically imposing, he's an advanced hitter with a compact right-handed swing who drills line drives from gap to gap. He uncharacteristically posted a 25-percent strikeout rate in his debut but should make consistent contact when he's fully healthy and adds some needed strength. He has the hitting ability and enough bat speed to develop into a double-digit home-run threat but understands his primary focus is getting on base. Volpe's instincts help him play above his tools on the bases and at shortstop. He's a solid runner who recognizes and makes the most of opportunities to steal or take an extra base. Though his arm earns average to solid grades, he figures to stick at short because he has a good internal clock and a quick release.

Probably just need to pay attention to how scouting reports sound as he moves up the ladder, but def could be something here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This guy just keeps hitting and getting on base! Up to 9 hr, 18 sb, .305/.432/.617 with a wRC+ of 175. Still more walks than k’s as well. Definitely feels like he needs another challenge at High A. Unfortunately the Yankees are stacked at middle infield in their minors this year so not sure when/if they’ll make that move. Scouts were definitely down on his power potential but it looks like he really built some strength in the off year. Those EV’s look nice! Still think he’s flying a bit under the radar in the mainstream. Think his ceiling is sky high. 

23 hours ago, dave8809 said:

Who do you guys see at the SS in 2 years for the yanks Volpe or Peraza??

Great question. I’m not really sure who the better prospect is out of the two.  I would love to hear who you guys rank higher, Peraza or Volpe. 

Seems like Peraza has more natural speed? Volpe a little more power? Both are great Yankee prospects; Peraza at short and Volpe at 2nd?  

I think Volpe is the superior prospect to Peraza. 

1. More power

2. Better hit tool and approach

3. Comparable speed

4. Way better fly ball profile to get to his power. Volpe hits a ton of flyballs and has a great line drive rate and rarely hits grounders. Peraza has an extremely lackluster flyball rate and and infield fly problem.

I think Volpe over takes him by the end of year.

• Like 3

Just sort of hitting .359/.409/.667 in High A with his second jack last night. Basically identical ops to his Low A line. 

The breakout is real y’all. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He's probably my favorite prospect in the minors right now. Only question I have is how much the speed translates. Doesn't really have many if any weaknesses to his game.

Volptron is going to fly up prospect lists by year end. Considering Gleyber’s struggles and DJ’s age his timing of 2ish years is perfect for the yanks. 

Some rumors he gets moved for Story, but Cashman says him and Dominguez won’t be going anywhere. 

On 7/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, Dirtywater97 said:

I think Volpe is the superior prospect to Peraza. 

1. More power

2. Better hit tool and approach

3. Comparable speed

4. Way better fly ball profile to get to his power. Volpe hits a ton of flyballs and has a great line drive rate and rarely hits grounders. Peraza has an extremely lackluster flyball rate and and infield fly problem.

I think Volpe over takes him by the end of year.

Volpe passed Peraza in today’s BA update, up to 86th. 

• Like 3

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out with Peraza and Volpe. It looks like they're both playing almost exclusively SS, with Volpe having a few games at 3B/2B as well. I think they both profile out at SS right? Maybe one gets moved or traded.

7 hours ago, bangarrang said:

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out with Peraza and Volpe. It looks like they're both playing almost exclusively SS, with Volpe having a few games at 3B/2B as well. I think they both profile out at SS right? Maybe one gets moved or traded.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be at this trade deadline either.  Still another year plus, likely at least, before either gets the call.  That's an eon of time in the prospect world.  See Armstrong, Pete Crow; Carroll, Corbin; Abrams, CJ, to name a few for reference. haha.  Obviously, not all prospect paths are linear either, there is no telling that the one that gets to the bigs first will succeed, or that it won't be at another position already.  Look at SD, I mean they have a ton of talent on the MLB team then a ton heading up the minors, some that play the position as stars at the big league level.  I don't get too concerned with any of that.  Keep the players you think are the best and not worry about who IS going to play SS versus another position, etc. Things sort themselves out.  Just my two cents for what they are worth.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1