NBC Sports EDGE Forums

The only two ways you shouldn't be allowed into the hall due to PEDs are (1) failed test or (2) admitted to using it.  Claiming a guy took PEDs without either of those is just speculation and that shouldn't count. You want to deny Bonds a spot for a failed test due to amphetamines then sure that's valid.  You want to deny him a spot due to your belief, not fact, that he took gear then no that's BS imo.  Yes there's tons of circumstantial evidence he used gear but he never failed a test or admitted to it so you can't say with 100% certainty that he used gear. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

The only two ways you shouldn't be allowed into the hall due to PEDs are (1) failed test or (2) admitted to using it.  Claiming a guy took PEDs without either of those is just speculation and that shouldn't count. You want to deny Bonds a spot for a failed test due to amphetamines then sure that's valid.  You want to deny him a spot due to your belief, not fact, that he took gear then no that's BS imo.  Yes there's tons of circumstantial evidence he used gear but he never failed a test or admitted to it so you can't say with 100% certainty that he used gear. 

He admitted to a grand jury that he took the cream and the clear,  a steroid. 
spacer.png

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

The only two ways you shouldn't be allowed into the hall due to PEDs are (1) failed test or (2) admitted to using it. 

The MLB Hall of Fame apparently has a higher evidentiary standard than finding someone guilty of murder in a court of law.

I feel like it's reasonable to say that Bonds was a HOFer without steroids, but the roids took his HOF numbers and turned them into a unicorn. 

I don't overly care though and wouldn't argue for or against him. If he gets in, cool. If he doesn't, he only has himself to blame. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bash Bros said:

I feel like it's reasonable to say that Bonds was a HOFer without steroids, but the roids took his HOF numbers and turned them into a unicorn. 

I don't overly care though and wouldn't argue for or against him. If he gets in, cool. If he doesn't, he only has himself to blame. 

I’m pretty much here. I’d put him in, but not passionate enough to argue about.  
Bonds and Clemens were HOFers before their PED spike. The ones I’d leave out are Sosa and McGwire types (sorry, Bash Bros.), who would not be HOFers without the PED seasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Overlord said:

The MLB Hall of Fame apparently has a higher evidentiary standard than finding someone guilty of murder in a court of law.

Well one clown writer "felt like" Piazza took steroids despite zero evidence and ran a campaign to keep him out of the Hall.  I don't think someone's irrational feelings should determine if someone should get in or not.  It's a crime that the GOAT offensive catcher wasn't a first ballot because of that idiot. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Well one clown writer "felt like" Piazza took steroids despite zero evidence and ran a campaign to keep him out of the Hall.  I don't think someone's irrational feelings should determine if someone should get in or not.  It's a crime that the GOAT offensive catcher wasn't a first ballot because of that idiot. 

This goes to what my main point is which is this should be an OBJECTIVE test. There's no other way to do that than the numbers. If MLB doesn't like it - let them do something about it.

3 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

Greatest of all time and should be in. There is no way to fairly regulate who cheated and who didn’t , some guys just hid it better. 

What? Barry Bonds admitted he cheated .... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, collucho said:

I believe he should be in the HOF...as should Pete Rose. 

They will put Pete in when he's dead just so he can't enjoy it.  Bonds is an easy yes from me.  There was probably multiple hundreds of players taking juice that you will never know about because it's not just some magical drug that works for everyone.  Bonds was a 1st ballot HOF'er before he ever touched the stuff.  Like many have said it just made him the Babe Ruth of his time.  The fact that he was such an unlikable guy probably isn't going to do him any favors but from a pure skill POV he should be in.  

• Like 2

The only real question regarding Bonds is whether or not he is the greatest player of all time. Certainly top 10 without a doubt. I don't think he was the best because I do downgrade his achievements because of the steroid factor.

The Hall is about how much better a player is compared to other players of his generation. Bonds played in the steroid generation and compared to all the other steroid users of his generation he was way, way better. I believe most players were on steroids and even those players that might now have been using, they would still not have been nearly as good as Bonds if they took them.

12 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

They will put Pete in when he's dead just so he can't enjoy it.  Bonds is an easy yes from me.  There was probably multiple hundreds of players taking juice that you will never know about because it's not just some magical drug that works for everyone.  Bonds was a 1st ballot HOF'er before he ever touched the stuff.  Like many have said it just made him the Babe Ruth of his time.  The fact that he was such an unlikable guy probably isn't going to do him any favors but from a pure skill POV he should be in.  

Upvote X100

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Who gives a sh*t about roids’

its entertainment and he was a MUST watch while chasing the records!

and he was intentionally walked with the bases loaded..🤣🤣🤣🤣

wait I thought baseball was church. Hof is only for choir boys!!

• Like 2