NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trade deadline watch, bullpen edition

Reliever Jacob Barnes was acquired by the Toronto Blue Jays from the New York Mets on Saturday for pitching prospect Troy Miller. Barnes, 31, is 1-1 with two saves and a 6.27 ERA over 19 relief appearances this season. He has a 4.53 ERA over his six-year career. He was designated for assignment on Monday, a day after he gave up a tiebreaking grand slam to Fernando Tatis Jr. followed by a home run by Manny Machado in a 7-3 loss to San Diego.

Minor move here, but a confirmation that as expected, the Blue Jays will be seeking additional relief help prior to the deadline. Good to see its someone who won't challenge Romano, so they may be willing to roll with him if he keeps pitching well. *Reposted from MR thread, I forgot I wrote this up lol...but I will use this thread to update actual bullpen trades, big or small, so those on the forum interested in seeing the latest trade deadline news without sifting through the trolling on the closer thread can come here instead. 

• Like 1

Really good list. Keep an eye out on Drew Steckenrider. He may be the last man standing in Seattle if/when Kendall Graveman is traded.

I can see Ian Kennedy closing for a couple of teams, teams who may not be able to fit in a costlier option like Craig Kimbrell or Brad Hand and a team where he will be an upgrade over the current closer.

Relievers like Paul Fry, Hansel Robles who are getting saves now may be on the move as well so I'm keeping an eye out on Hunter Harvey and Tyler Duffey.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

Really good list. Keep an eye out on Drew Steckenrider. He may be the last man standing in Seattle if/when Kendall Graveman is traded.

I can see Ian Kennedy closing for a couple of teams, teams who may not be able to fit in a costlier option like Craig Kimbrell or Brad Hand and a team where he will be an upgrade over the current closer.

Relievers like Paul Fry, Hansel Robles who are getting saves now may be on the move as well so I'm keeping an eye out on Hunter Harvey and Tyler Duffey.

Thanks, when I wrote it a week ago I said I had no idea who would replace Graveman, but agree the wind is blowing toward Steckenrider at the moment. Similarly agree its possible Kennedy or others could close, but not a lock in the way it is for Kimbrel, Hand. I also like Harvey at this point a good deal-whether or not they move Fry, he's shown he's healthy and can take over that job with ease. Again, these are stashes, not swaps for any committee heads, but worth speculating if you're in a deep league where every save matters. As to Duffey, I think they will trade Alex Colome ahead of Robles, although both are on similar deals, I think off the top of my head $6.5/6 million respectively but I could be off by a million, so yeah maybe the Twins unload payroll but then they are just going to give Rogers the job full time. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why were the Cubs on this list as sellers?  Aren't they still contenders?

Did you read it? They're certainly not buyers, and if they aren't buying...

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why were the Cubs on this list as sellers?  Aren't they still contenders?

Cubs aren't really that good, have major FA players leaving after this season, and team stated that it wasn't going to sign the main 3 FA one which I doubt would resign with the team anyway. Right now the Cubs benefit from the division they play in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don't get me wrong, if they are in 1st place and trade Kimbrel, it'll be very hard to stomach, as the bullpen is what has gotten them here. But realistically he's their best trade chip, unless they pick up a vet catcher like Ramos and try to trade Contreras, which isn't happening. Meanwhile, I tend to think the White Sox across town will upgrade their setup men and snag someone from the list above, as they haven't found a steady bridge to Hendriks yet. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

• 3 weeks later...

Much of this week's rumors regarding Kimbrel have come as a result of the Cubs' 11 game losing streak (the curse of the no-hitter this season is REAL, look out Tampa Bay fans you're next) and then speculation coming from various sources/rumor mills involving him in scenarios like Houston, but it is probably early yet to expect the Cubs to move him, as they should let the market drive itself up to get the highest bid. 

Meanwhile, an item that caught my eye about the Mariners; 

manager Scott Servais suggested in an appearance on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that he expects the front office to operate as buyers...."we’ve got a ton of prospect capital, and we’ve got young players in our system — our minor league system has improved so much,” asked about specific areas of need, Servais said with a chuckle that “every manager out there says he needs more pitching."

then it goes on to speculate they may add an arm for the rotation. I won't quibble with it, the Mariners have gone with the 6-man thing this year but have had injuries and ineffectiveness in the back end, so solidifying that would be a way to boost their wild card chances. This does make it seem a lot less likely that Graveman gets traded away, but there is still a few weeks for things to settle in the standings. Still, as it stands today, if you are to trust the manager's word-sometimes a dicey prospect, but the idea of DiPoto sitting still at the deadline as a "lame duck GM" himself seems impossible, and that would make them buyers indeed. 

The Nationals have also crept back into contention, though a game below .500, and I don't think Brad Hand will be going anywhere at the deadline. Honestly, the Mets are the best team in the East, but they're keeping the other teams around at that will probably work out in the Mets' favor anyway.

Its been beyond ridiculous in the 'pen for awhile now with Cincy and Philly, and as both teams are fringe contenders (more so for the Reds) you wonder if they aren't tempted to make a move just to shore up their disaster area 'pens. The word is that the Reds ownership wants to lose money, and Philly always seems to be buying when they shouldn't, so I think it the current closers Hembree and Suarez falter, it really might be the last straw for those clubs to withstand the scrutiny. At a certain point, bringing in a hired gun when you have such internal strife as these two teams can only take the pressure off the entire staff. These would be good spots for some of the current closers like Richard Rodriguez to wind up in and still remain head of committee.

• Like 1

I think the only way that the Nats get rid of Hand is if they get an offer that knocks their socks off... After the ASG they had the Padres and Marlins at home then at Baltimore and Philly...  Do decent in those games they don’t need to sell...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, posty said:

I think the only way that the Nats get rid of Hand is if they get an offer that knocks their socks off... After the ASG they had the Padres and Marlins at home then at Baltimore and Philly...  Do decent in those games they don’t need to sell...

Yeah they crept up the standings in a hurry, getting Strasburg back maybe after the break, should maybe be buyers with that offense heating up. They need rotation help more than anything.

1 minute ago, posty said:

It only looks long if you are viewing it on a phone...  Since I rarely visit the site on my phone and use the computer it looks peachy to me...

Also I think it should be a semicolon between the “tl” and “dr”, not a colon...

:)

Thanks, I have even made fun of my own verbose nature at times, but the first post is just a bunch of one or two line summaries. I don't like the site on mobile either. Really hard to read that...lol....since I wrote it needed some updates, I was wrong on some things, potentially right on others. As I said, the standings are what drives this conversation. Its early yet so I'll be wrong on most of my predictions, but its never too late to get the early jump on some stashes. 

Just to get back on the subject, there was a good update on Tepera today:

Ryan Tepera is "on track" for a Friday activation from the injured list.

Advice: It would mean a minimal stint for Tepera, who was placed on the injured list on June 29 with a left calf strain. It'd be a solid boost for the Cubs' bullpen, as Tepera had posted a strong 41/12 K/BB ratio and 3.35 ERA over 37 2/3 innings before the injury. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 5:44 PM, Richard Kimble said:

TEX-Kennedy, FA; handcuff J. Sborz; sleeper DeMarcus Evans; I'll predict Evans is closing for them eventually, and becomes a big part of fantasy lineups after the deadline/deal of Ian. 

TEX is a situation that has likely changed since this post. Sporz has struggled recently and Spencer Patton has been pitching in the 8th inning. Would guess that it's Patton or a combination of Joely Rodriguez and Patton if (when) Kennedy is dealt. 

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

TEX is a situation that has likely changed since this post. Sporz has struggled recently and Spencer Patton has been pitching in the 8th inning. Would guess that it's Patton or a combination of Joely Rodriguez and Patton if (when) Kennedy is dealt. 

No doubt, Evans is back in the minors, for one, so that bold prediction looks bad lol...still, this weekend they won't have John King in the bullpen, so I'm watching to see if there is a save chance, who sets it up for Kennedy. Patton seems the 8th inning guy, and Sborz and Rodriguez have been used in the 7th inning more often. 

Same thing with Seattle when I wrote it, wasn't sure who could emerge and then Sewald started pitching lights out. Then the Mariners say they're buyers, so I don't know what to think there.

My question to you is will Anaheim consider dealing Iglesias? I left them off the list completely because I didn't think so, but there has been speculation regarding him recently. I think, similar to Seattle, they might try to make some minor upgrades to appease the fanbase, in the midst of a historic run by Ohtani, plus Trout coming back in August. They'd be silly not to consider any offers on Rasiel though. 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:04 PM, PinstripeGM said:

Harvey is on IL, but this point is another reason to avoid Baltimore entirely, even someone like Fry getting a few saves is really just an audition to be another team's setup man. Duffey is a good call though, as I said, the salaries of Robles/Colome amount to around $4-5 million in budget relief in the Twins are able to move both.

Also, I saw an item today about the Yankees, with Boone saying he wants to return Chapman to closing as soon as possible, but also that he would close with Zack Britton when he returns. So there is another guy to stash away, especially if you've got IL space, while a reason not to be too attached to Chad Green/Johnny Lasagna.  

Any chance Rex Brothers gets a shot if Kimbrel is dealt? Seems like I've incorrectly had this same thought about Brothers every year for about a decade now, but he's got the best K-BB% of his career and has a SIERRA under 3 for the year with a 1.13WHIP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Any chance Rex Brothers gets a shot if Kimbrel is dealt? Seems like I've incorrectly had this same thought about Brothers every year for about a decade now, but he's got the best K-BB% of his career and has a SIERRA under 3 for the year with a 1.13WHIP. 

Yes, but that would mean Tepera and Chafin also get traded. and I think one of those guys, probably Tepera, will hang around past the deadline. After that I would definitely think Brothers emerges from the rest of the bullpen due to his closer experience, so good call. As you said, the K rate makes him worth rostering for a short while to help ratios, but a lot of dominoes need to fall before he could start seeing saves. The Cubs probably want to hold off on trading Kimbrel until the price goes sky high. Now that I think about it, its just as likely the top setup men are long gone by the time Kimbrel is inevitably traded.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:44 PM, Richard Kimble said:

SEA-Graveman, FA; handcuff unknown. I really expect Graveman to go somewhere, but Montero has been really terrible and I don't want to speculate who they may turn to. They seem to like Misciewicz but he's been awful and probably is still hurt. 

I really think Sewald is the guy to own in Seattle (if Graveman gets traded). He's been on an incredible run. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I really think Sewald is the guy to own in Seattle (if Graveman gets traded). He's been on an incredible run. 

Check upthread. That's clear, but Scott Servais said the Mariners were going to be buyers, FWIW, so I'm not confident Graveman gets traded unless they fall out of contention in the next 10 days. It seems they're playing way above their heads with that awful offense and a pitching staff that's not as good on paper as it has been in reality. Seattle calling up Kelenic for reinforcement shows DiPoto wants to keep them in the WC picture. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

Posted (edited)

Definitely a few things I overlooked, although at the time, things were dictated by the health or status of the teams. For example, Soria has established a firm grip on the AZ job. Does he get traded, and if so, who's replacing him? That's pretty unclear.

As discussed upthread Spencer Patton seems a good bet to get save chances if Kennedy is dealt.

In mentioning Detroit, I left off Gregory Soto who was struggling at the time, and Fulmer went back on IL shortly after with a neck strain. Soto was named an All-Star, and while Fulmer may get save opps with the Tigers when he returns, I'm not eager to roster him for what amounts to a 2 week audition for competing teams. He's not that good and I expect Soto to run with the job ROS.

In Minnesota also, Robles has been mentioned as a trade candidate, as well as Taylor Rogers (would love to see him team up with his brother in San Francisco). So that leaves Duffey and Colome as potential replacements, neither a particularly attractive option. 

Lastly, the Yankees-I saw someone post here, can't recall which thread, that they traded the aforementioned Soto and something else to acquire Chapman in an AL-only league a month back, and since then, Soto had more saves and Chapman was at risk of being replaced. If you told someone that was even a possible outcome, they would have laughed in your face, so it shows how unpredictable the game can be. Add Britton. The disaster by Chad Green against Houston will preclude him from the next save chance, but Boone said he will close with Britton upon his return. He could soon be in a co-committee with Aroldis with an inside track if he pitches better than Chapman.

Edited by Richard Kimble