NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trade deadline watch, bullpen edition

24 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Blue Jays are making Nate Pearson a reliever.

Lots of question marks with Pearson, but if healthy he could be a monster out of the bullpen. Might lessen their desire to trade for RP. With the Manoah injury, they might even look for an SP. Staff is still in pretty good shape but they’re starting Thomas Hatch tonight.

Makes sense, many of the small moves they have made have me thinking they are going to roll with Romano. Pearson would be a good bulk guy, potentially a 2 inning high leverage weapon if it goes that way, but something that could work in with the hodge podge of relievers they have. They wasted a lot of money on Kirby Yates, $5.5 million down the drain despite knowing he had bad physicals, so I think they'll try to reinforce the rotation cheaply.

• Like 1

Been watching the rumor mill for days, not much hint around closers, but earlier this came up. Since it was just asked on the closer thread who would be the replacement, my money is on Spencer Patton and/or Joely Rodriguez getting first crack at the job. The Dodgers probably are looking to add another insurance policy after Jansen's blow-ups the past two nights, although they have Corey Knebel close to returning soon, too.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Dodgers have interest in Ian Kennedy.

Kennedy is a virtual certainty to be dealt sometime in the next week, and he's almost surely going to be a setup man wherever he winds up. The veteran righty boasts a 2.59 ERA and 33/7 K/BB ratio over 31 1/3 innings while going 15-for-16 in save opportunities.

• Like 1

Pirates acquired INFs Diego Castillo and Hoy Park from the Yankees for RHP Clay Holmes.

Castillo -- who is of no relation to the Rays reliever with the same name -- has hit .277/.345/.504 with 11 homers and eight steals at the Double-A level this season. The 23-year-old was not ranked by MLB.com among the Yanks' top 30 prospects.

Big blockbuster for the Yankees here, I'm sure the fanbase is thrilled. I'm just disappointed we didn't see Diego Castillo traded for Diego Castillo. You want to make headlines with a trade? Let's see Will Smith for Will Smith and Charlie Morton, and the Dodgers can play Keibert Ruiz everyday. Actually, I do think Ruiz is a logical stash in some deep 2 C leagues, on the chance that he does get traded somewhere PT is available. As for the Pirates, they are moving quickly to empty the roster of all tradeable assets. Everything must go by Friday 5 PM!

• Like 3

Alright, some real action. The As go the inexpensive route as expected, which is good for Trivino owners, and those stashing Ryan Tepera. 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Athletics are on the verge of acquiring Andrew Chafin from the Cubs.

Mark Feinsand was first to report that a deal involving Chafin was close, and Rosenthal has the destination. The southpaw has been excellent this season with a 2.06 ERA, 0.84 WHIP and 37/12 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings. Chafin has a $5.25 million mutual option in his deal for 2022.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, starks said:

Got 3 kids and a job. 

No guy named starks would get help here from a Chicago Bulls fan. House Stark, maybe. But here is some info for the general public, if you benefit starks, so be it. 

Cubs optioned RHP Keegan Thompson to Triple-A Iowa.

Advice: The plan here is to get Thompson stretched out at Iowa before having him return as a starter for the final month or so. The 26-year-old right-hander boasts a 2.27 ERA with 43 strikeouts over his first 40 2/3 major league innings this season, though command remains a bit of an issue.

I was speculating that Thompson would be starting in September at the latest, so this makes me further believe that Kimbrel will be dealt. Tepera can go too, but right now if you have him or can add him, he's a good option. Obviously, the market for adding a free closer will thin out quickly in the next 24-48 hours; today the trade of Graveman will lead to many Sewald adds tomorrow. Sewald is the priority, Tepera is the 2nd, and you can still put Bednar right there because the rumors surround Richard Rodriguez are picking up steam. 

My best advice to Starks is that you need to take your 3 kids to see Space Jam:Legacy, so you can relate to how bored your parents must have been, and then you can show them the original and see how bored they look by comparison. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Haha 1

So Mychal Givens is going to the Reds. This is good news (I guess) for Bard owners as it makes it likelier he'll stick around past the deadline. Whether or not this is actually a good thing, depends on your ratios. Will Givens be in the picture for saves with Cincy? Probably, it just muddies the picture even more.

Posted (edited)

Also of note from the big Joey Gallo trade was Joely Rodriguez and John King going from the Rangers. Ian Kennedy remains the closer, but if he goes, Spencer Patton (given up runs his past few outings but was pitching well) Sborz or a Barlow (Joe?) who has given up nothing since his call-up. It'll be wide open, probably like what we'll see with the Marlins with Garcia out of the picture.

Edited by Richard Kimble

Yeah as I said in the main trade thread, I didn't realize the waiver trade deadline was waived (hehe) again this year, so after Friday there are no more moves to make. I actually like this too, not sure if its a permanent change, but this is going to bring WAY more action than I anticipated. I was thinking we'd see a lot of those marginal names above going after the deadline passes, when the MR market tends to move more. 

Lets not be too reactive to minor things like Soria pitching the 8th and Clippard the 9th yesterday, in terms of proclaiming a regime change. These teams are avoiding over exposure, candidates stock can go way up or down on the strength of the latest outing. Ironically, this is the time when the actual scouts/GM/decision makers are as reactive as we are. One good outing like Clippard's save last night can make him a hot commodity. Buckle your seatbelts.

Posted (edited)

Interesting, I also just saw Daniel Hudson's name go on the COVID list, likely precluding him from a trade in the next 48 hours; I'd run to add him and worry about the fallout in Toronto later. I have said all along the Jays were adding, but hopeful they'd give Romano the chance to run with it. Probably wishful thinking, but Hand's leash won't be incredibly long, and this could backfire if Hand is shaky (man that guy just lends himself to puns.)

Edit-my NL only trade of Calhoun/Yimi Garcia for LaMonte Wade Jr. and Hudson a few days ago is looking pretty, pretty good ATM😉

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Interesting, I also just saw Daniel Hudson's name go on the COVID list, likely precluding him from a trade in the next 48 hours; I'd run to add him and worry about the fallout in Toronto later. I have said all along the Jays were adding, but hopeful they'd give Romano the chance to run with it. Probably wishful thinking, but Hand's leash won't be incredibly long, and this could backfire if Hand is shaky (man that guy just lends himself to puns.)

Edit-my NL only trade of Calhoun/Yimi Garcia for LaMonte Wade Jr. and Hudson a few days ago is looking pretty, pretty good ATM😉

As a Hand owner, I think I have to stay put for the time being vs. rushing to pick up someone on the wire.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

As a Hand owner, I think I have to stay put for the time being vs. rushing to pick up someone on the wire.  

I did not mean to drop Hand. I meant as an owner needing a new closer to replace Graveman, Garcia, etc., to get Hudson if available (obvious advice) and if you have Hand just keep him.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I did not mean to drop Hand. I meant as an owner needing a new closer to replace Graveman, Garcia, etc., to get Hudson if available (obvious advice) and if you have Hand just keep him.

Hudson may be on the move too. Next 24-28 hours are gonna be bumpy.

I’m getting a headache trying to figure out who’s going to be closing in these newly created openings. With a limited number of darts to throw at these gigs, I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick the wrong guy in each situation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m getting a headache trying to figure out who’s going to be closing in these newly created openings. With a limited number of darts to throw at these gigs, I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick the wrong guy in each situation.

I feel ya, the burnout is real. These are really the hardest 2-3 days for FBB season, even compared to the draft its nowhere as intense, and lots of decisions and factors at play. Once this passes I'm going to have a big celebratory meal and relax in weeks to come. The in-league trade deadlines are approaching too, but at this point, its all about getting in position for the stretch run. I'll be glad when its done, for sure.

Is Sborz the guy once he returns from Paternity Leave if Kennedy gets moved and Joely Rodriguez being shipped to NYY?

Feels like a foregone conclusion that Kennedy is going to get moved, especially with TEX cleaning house with Gallo. Feels like they're in a complete rebuild mode.