NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Matt Manning 2021 Outlook

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... what are we doin here...top prospect...not top AAA sample... seemed to settle down in last start... debuting vs. LAA Thursday...  scoop to start, predictions?

• tonycpsu changed the title to Matt Manning 2021 Outlook

He's got 10.02 K/9 and 2.78 BB/9 which is right around normal for him, but 3.06 HR/9 is the killer. Has to be some bad HR/FB luck and maybe pitching in Comerica will help with that. He's one of the top few SP prospects on every list and has the stuff to succeed in MLB.

But that's the optimistic take. Starting a guy with an 8.07 ERA in AAA is asking for trouble, especially given how pitchers doing great there have struggled in MLB this season. He's at best a stash IMO.

• Like 1

Manning has BLOWUP written all over tonights game. While  his last game in AAA was good, overall production has been dreadful. Playing a pretty hot Angels team doesn't bode well, which means he'll probably slice them up, because baseball.

Manning is a top prospect with a great arm, if the third pitch develops he has TOR potential, but I'd leave him on the wire for now. Dynasty leaguers should know he's got great potential. 

6 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Manning has BLOWUP written all over tonights game. While  his last game in AAA was good, overall production has been dreadful. Playing a pretty hot Angels team doesn't bode well, which means he'll probably slice them up, because baseball.

Manning is a top prospect with a great arm, if the third pitch develops he has TOR potential, but I'd leave him on the wire for now. Dynasty leaguers should know he's got great potential. 

I am starting him tonight, I have already had a lot of bad luck this year so luck has to turn sometime...

• Like 1

Just now, posty said:

I am starting him tonight, I have already had a lot of bad luck this year so luck has to turn sometime...

Yea sometimes you just gotta say (((( it. I am starting Cease tonight. That could get ugly down in Houston. 

Yeah not a bad debut (for a change) though his stuff was not quite what it was during his ascent up the DET system, at least in this one start:

FA- was his bread and butter offering using it almost 69% of the night, sat a hair under 94 MPH and touched 96.5, pretty sweet arm-side run on the pitch...will def help keep it off barrels, he spotted it in the upper quadrant of the zone well and generally worked around the edges well--which is encouraging.

CH- had some nice little fade to it, only tossed 7 at around 88 MPH--all but 1 to lefties...1 swinging strike, will likely need this much more often

CU/SL- the charting I use classified this into 1 offering (can see why, it basically slower slurve), but Savant shows they are different with the SL sitting about 81 MPH (slow!) and the CU 78 MPH...combined he threw 16, has some solid spin rates and some horizontal movement on them, only 1 called strike and zero whiffs with them...he mostly buried them below the zone to attempt to get chases. These will have to get better for him to be a usable starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BradMaddox said:

Dangerous start today 

Read this somewhere else, but dont understand why. Pitching at home vs cards. Cards have been awful lately; they've only scored more than 2 runs twice in their last 10 games.

Seems like a juicy matchup today. Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, gregp said:

Read this somewhere else, but dont understand why. Pitching at home vs cards. Cards have been awful lately; they've only scored more than 2 runs twice in their last 10 games.

Seems like a juicy matchup today. Am I missing something?

The Cardinals may be struggling, but they’re better than the AAA teams that rocked Manning. He’s a dangerous start against anyone IMO.

• Thanks 1

Only allowed a couple runs and earned the W today, but nothing else about it looks inspiring. 1 K? Where’s the mid-high 90’s fastball? He mostly sits 91-94 with a pretty average-looking breaking ball. It’s only been a couple starts but he doesn’t pass the eye test so far. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, posty said:

Starting...  No use having him rostered if you won't start him...

Didnt you have him rostered for 2+ months without starting him?

14 hours ago, cs3 said:

Didnt you have him rostered for 2+ months without starting him?

I had drafted him, but cut him when I needed a space and picked him up a week before he was called back up...

Started both times...

• Like 1

What’s up with the low strikeouts?? I sat him to evaluate the first two starts but now I’m even more scared to start him because i’m in a k/9 league and with those rates he would singlehandedly kill that category for me 😂 small sample size I know but if his k/9 doesn’t drastically improve then I will have to cut him. Wasn’t he a strikeout guy in the minors? I know minor k rates don’t always translate but to this extent?

On 6/23/2021 at 4:17 PM, varock said:

Only allowed a couple runs and earned the W today, but nothing else about it looks inspiring. 1 K? Where’s the mid-high 90’s fastball? He mostly sits 91-94 with a pretty average-looking breaking ball. It’s only been a couple starts but he doesn’t pass the eye test so far. 

He lost his FB which is what made him so interesting.  Most of these pitchers lose velocity as they become older.  Scherzer is a freak.