NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB Waiver Wire and Streaming Thread 2021 Week 12

Also...another Royals player I want to mention.

Eyeball Nicky Lopez... MI eligible, and if he can start to hit, he has the speed to swipe 20 bases this year (he's up to 7). He's 7/10 over his last 3 games, and seems to be looking at more regular playing time. If he can keep hitting, even with the lack of power, steals could come. Just somebody to keep your eye on...

On 6/21/2021 at 6:12 PM, nlm said:

You know, I actually didn't think about Kimbrel being dealt for a rotation piece. I just kind of assume the Cubs are going to deal Kimbrel and Bryant before July 31. I also think Wisdom has second-half value for this reason... It's why you can probably still find managers who will trade for him, or why he is still owned in 60% of leagues in general. I really never implored the thought of them using Kimbrel to bring back a starter...that would be interesting.

And Tepera is really good. I listened to that game on the radio. He's legit, and he's shown he's very multi-versatile. The Cubs honestly could trade Kimbrel and pull a true closer by committee thing if they really wanted to. I think their bullpen fits that type of mold completely. It's just a shame, because Kimbrel is like icing on the cake.

Who would trade a starter for one year of kimbrel? If the cubs move kimbrel it's to start a rebuild.

15 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Who would trade a starter for one year of kimbrel? If the cubs move kimbrel it's to start a rebuild.

The better question is what good would one starter do the Cubs?

I'd never heard rumors of Kimbrel being traded for a starter... I have been waiting for the ball to officially start to drop and a yardsale with Kimbrel, Bryant, and maybe Rizzo too.

Shed Long Jr - 2b/Of, mentioned earlier in this thread. Homers in back-to-back games for the Mariners. He's getting everyday playing time and has been pretty good lately. He's available in a ton of leagues right now as well. 

Edited by nlm
2 hours ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Carlos Martinez starting against Pitt today and then Arizona next start seems good enough for me.

his 6.62 ERA and 1.37 WHIP with a horrible K/RATE......refer to what the Albanian said to Bryan in Taken

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Carlos Martinez starting against Pitt today and then Arizona next start seems good enough for me.

Help yourself - I've been down that road a couple of times this season. Very dangerous territory  😫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/21/2021 at 10:29 AM, nlm said:

Not a great one, but...if you need OF depth and missed out on guys like Fraley and Duggar while they were out there...

So are you saying if Duggar is on my 12-team wire, I should pick him up?

22 hours ago, posty said:

So are you saying if Duggar is on my 12-team wire, I should pick him up?

At the time of my post--yes. But the Giants have reactivated so many players off of the DL, I truly don't know how much playing time he will get. I actually dropped him (14 team, deep league) and his ownership has only gone up (from about 15% to 26% or something). I would take the risk to add him if you can. I think his average is lucky, but he can swipe some bags and go deep. If your OF is 5 (as opposed to 3) I would definitely grab him.

Edited by nlm
On 6/24/2021 at 7:12 AM, Daytraders2019 said:

Resist the temptation!

• Like 1

Upcoming pitching streams/pitchers I like...

Patrick Corbin gets the Marlins tomorrow.

Jake Odorizzi gets the Tigers on Sunday.

Nick Pivetta was someone I was really high on for the Tampa game due to how prone they are to strikeouts, but I wussed out on hyping him up in here (and picking him up as a stream). So what happens? He pitches 6.2 innings of no-hit baseball. Well, he gets KC on the 29th. His numbers are actually pretty solid after this last outing. And he's racking up strikeouts. Worth keeping an eye on him moving forward... could be a nice streamer the rest of the way. Don't think he's a hold, but you can't deny his 92 strikeouts. 

If you have room and he's available, Danny Duffy is basically on a minor league rehab assignment in the majors, it feels like. He's gonna be on a pitch count again vs. Boston, but I am guessing after that start it will be lifted or at least more relaxed. He's worth grabbing if he's still out there. If he can pitch like he was to begin the season, he's a guy you ride until the wheels fall off in the second half...

Edited by nlm
  • Like 2

Add Jose Alvarado. Girardi announced he will be closing moving forward. 16% in Yahoo! leagues and rising...

If you look at their bullpen, he really does seem like the best fit for the job... Type of move you just make and hope it sticks. Girardi said Alvarado would get the first chance moving forward, I should have said above. That's not to say he doesn't blow it. But with his strikeout upside, if he's getting late-inning work, he needs to be owned.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, nlm said:

Add Jose Alvarado. Girardi announced he will be closing moving forward. 16% in Yahoo! leagues and rising...

If you look at their bullpen, he really does seem like the best fit for the job... Type of move you just make and hope it sticks. Girardi said Alvarado would get the first chance moving forward, I should have said above. That's not to say he doesn't blow it. But with his strikeout upside, if he's getting late-inning work, he needs to be owned.

He's got 6 Ws already too, there are probably a decent number of managers who just stashed him coming out of the season, and possibly held on expecting this eventuality. To me this screams of a temporary situation for him until Neris gets right or they make another move, but he was successful down in Tampa in the role, and opportunity is key. One question that should be answered up front is-do you drop Neris for him (assuming no other option)? Its very league dependent, but generally the answer should be yes, its time to take the risk.

Across the Chesapeake, it is time to look out there for Adley Rutschmann. Someone mentioned Cal Raleigh in Catcher Scrap as a similar stash, and Raleigh probably does make his debut sooner. Still, Rutschmann has been drafted/dropped in many leagues, and now is the time to be looking to stash prospects like him, Durran, Raleigh, Brujan, etc, especially if you're on a team that is doing well in the standings, and needs to dial back on some GP/innings limit. Rutschmann is the guy still in the minors who I think makes the biggest rookie impact ROS if he gets to show his stuff for more than a September call-up. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Across the Chesapeake, it is time to look out there for Adley Rutschmann. Someone mentioned Cal Raleigh in Catcher Scrap as a similar stash, and Raleigh probably does make his debut sooner. Still, Rutschmann has been drafted/dropped in many leagues, and now is the time to be looking to stash prospects like him, Durran, Raleigh, Brujan, etc, especially if you're on a team that is doing well in the standings, and needs to dial back on some GP/innings limit. Rutschmann is the guy still in the minors who I think makes the biggest rookie impact ROS if he gets to show his stuff for more than a September call-up. 

I have both Rutschmann and Brujan, but can only keep Rutschmann next year...  I hope he can mash in the majors whenever he gets the call...

Garrett Cooper came back for the Marlins tonight, went 3-4 with a walk, 4 runs and a 2-R HR from the 3rd spot in the order. That lineup has been better of late, and he's worth a look for some deep league teams in need of a bench bat that can play CI/OF, maybe someone as a Canha replacement for now. I scooped him when I saw him in my 16 teamer, just bummed I didn't get this first game in the books.

Edited by Richard Kimble
1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

Garrett Cooper came back for the Marlins tonight, went 3-4 with a walk, 4 runs and a 2-R HR from the 3rd spot in the order. That lineup has been better of late, and he's worth a look for some deep league teams in need of a bench bat that can play CI/OF, maybe someone as a Canha replacement for now. I scooped him when I saw him in my 16 teamer, just bummed I didn't get this first game in the books.

A's are one of my favorites now, simply because they put Canha on the IL in time for me to scoop and start Cooper heh heh.

16 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

He's got 6 Ws already too, there are probably a decent number of managers who just stashed him coming out of the season, and possibly held on expecting this eventuality. To me this screams of a temporary situation for him until Neris gets right or they make another move, but he was successful down in Tampa in the role, and opportunity is key. One question that should be answered up front is-do you drop Neris for him (assuming no other option)? Its very league dependent, but generally the answer should be yes, its time to take the risk.

Nice C touts. I could use some help in a deep league I'm in. But can anyone remember a catcher call up making any sort of impact? Catches seem to take a while to develop MLB bat skills. Posey is the only name that comes to mind.

23 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Nice C touts. I could use some help in a deep league I'm in. But can anyone remember a catcher call up making any sort of impact? Catches seem to take a while to develop MLB bat skills. Posey is the only name that comes to mind.

It's obviously been an extremely rocky road over his career so far, but Gary Sanchez.  He made a huge immediate impact.  Wilson Contreras is another Gary Sanchez type.  Will Smith is another that has been solid from the start.  You are not wrong about it not being very common though.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

It's obviously been an extremely rocky road over his career so far, but Gary Sanchez.  He made a huge immediate impact.  Wilson Contreras is another Gary Sanchez type.  Will Smith is another that has been solid from the start.  You are not wrong about it not being very common though.

Thanks I didn't remember how well they did on call up. I retract some of my reluctance.

• Like 1