NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well Trout stunk when he first came up so no you can't assume a future superstar is going to be great from the get go.  This is baseball, the game of patience.  Not freaking football.

Your post needs to be pinned sir. We all remember how insane Kelenics expectations were (some in jest) and how pissed off everyone was when he didn’t even sniff those numbers.

I myself am a Franco and Kelenic owner (as well as Brujan). If they come up, great, I will gladly accept any stats they net me. If they don’t come up, so what? I have them next year.

Patience people.

• Like 2
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Trout stunk when he first came up so no you can't assume a future superstar is going to be great from the get go.  This is baseball, the game of patience.  Not freaking football.

Let’s go  

Posted Images

I feel old every day when someone born in 2000+ calls my customer service line.

It's even weirder now that rookies are born in '99 or in this case, 2001.

44 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

You conveniently leave out that in his first two years of stints in the majors ARod hit 224 with a 609 OPS over 65 games... 5 HR, 7 SB... Before that age 20 season. He was not a rookie in 96 when he exploded, he hit rookie limit in 95.

arod was 18-19 1st 2 yrs didn't play much Minor lg ball had to learn in the majors   Franco  didn't play age 18-19 he should go right in and hit  like Arod did at age 20

• Haha 1
Just now, mks said:

arod was 18-19 1st 2 yrs didn't play much Minor lg ball had to learn in the majors   Franco  didn't play age 18-19 he should go right in and hit  like Arod did at age 20

Sounds like this guy lost out on Franco

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mks said:

What? ARod played 114 Games at age 18 in the minors before a 17 game cup of coffee... then another 54 at AAA the following year age 19 before his call up where he played 48 in the majors his rookie year.

Franco has played 39 G above A ball... ARod had 103 above A ball before he was a rookie.

To say Franco should be ARod in his 2nd season off the rip is pretty wild of expectations... Not that he can't but that's just more of a ceiling to me than an expectation.

ARod seems to more or less serve as a cautionary tale that even the best prospect may take a year to adjust.

• Like 2

Vlad Jr. rookie season slash: .272/.339/.433
Wander projections from THE BAT: .279/.336/.438

Very similar and probably a reasonable starting point for expectations. Vlad Jr. took some patience but now he’s arguably the best hitter in the league and still younger than most rookies. I hope Wander follows the Soto path and is great immediately, but that’s pretty rare even for elite prospects.

2 hours ago, mks said:

That’s dumb logic, lol. Wander missed out on an entire year of development last season otherwise he would have likely debuted as a 19 year old. The lost year makes what he did this season at AAA even more impressive. Your expectation should never be for a 20 year old to be great off the bat, anyways.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, mks said:

If this guy is truly a generational talent then he should put up around the same numbers as Soto Acuna Vladdy and Tatis have been putting up right away. 

This is nonsense. The vast majority of rookies, even "generational talents", don't immediately put up the kind of numbers Soto and Tatis did when they got called up. Not saying he won't be good, but it's silly to assume he will be one the league's best hitters right off the bat.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, cs3 said:

This is nonsense. The vast majority of rookies, even "generational talents", don't immediately put up the kind of numbers Soto and Tatis did when they got called up. Not saying he won't be good, but it's silly to assume he will be one the league's best hitters right off the bat.

I’m not a Wander owner in any league, but even I can see the bitterness is strong with that guy lol. Sarcastically suggesting that he should be great right off the bat? Everyone knows most rookies are going to struggle as rookies, even ones who become greats. Vlad Jr is just now turning into the stud he was “supposed” to be a couple of years ago. Trout, ARod. Plenty of greats had to adjust, but I guess that truth is blinded by mks’s bitterness. Lol. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I expect Arod Soto Acuna Tatis Or Trout age 20 numbers pro rated for 75 games. If he can't hit close to these other guys numbers then he should not be hyped as such. 

Edited by mks
  • Haha 4

My realistic expectation is a high batting average with probably fewer home runs and steals than we would want in an ideal world.   (He has some launch angle problems that might reduce number of HRs at first+ not as much raw power as guys like Vlad and Acuña).  But this guy’s floor is so high because of his insanely low strikeout rate and pure stroke.  He’s similar to Vlad in that regard but even better.  

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

My realistic expectation is a high batting average with probably fewer home runs and steals than we would want in an ideal world.   (He has some launch angle problems that might reduce number of HRs at first+ not as much raw power as guys like Vlad and Acuña).  But this guy’s floor is so high because of his insanely low strikeout rate and pure stroke.  He’s similar to Vlad in that regard but even better.  

Very much in line with my expectations, I think he will hit for average with slightly less power and speed to start off

1 hour ago, TheGreatest42 said:

I've heard he's likely going to get significant looks at 3B.  Any possibility he plays some 2B as well?

Between Lowe, Walls, and Wendle, the one most likely to be replaced is Walls (who has been pretty decent), so I would think he actually will play mostly at SS.  My personal pointless preference is that he would get 2b elligibity and play there. If they can shift Lowe to the OF for Kiermaier or Phillips, I guess thats possible. Wendle has been offensively quite productive at 3b this year. 134 WRC+ is just under elite. 

• Like 2

This has the feeling of straight out of the gates studliness. I don't think he struggles at all. Obviously a cool-ish streak here and there, but I think he has a big night tonight and doesn't look back. 

Edit: already wrong, they don't play tonight. 

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Haha 3