NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Wander Franco 2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Don’t be surprised to see him batting second.

Yeah I'm thinking 2nd or possibly 5th or 6th...Can't see him hitting anything lower than 6th.

16 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Don't you tell me what to do!

*DEFIANTLY GETS READY TO BE SURPRISED*

It’s where he historically was spotted in the minors and it’s the perfect spot for him. High contact hitter that can leg out infield singles with his ability to put bat on ball but also has above average power and will make you pay if you make a mistake.

Sox will score big tonight and for the rays Yandy is going to steal the show with 4 doubles. Wander 1-3 2 runs and 1 rbi

10 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I dunno....Been the year of can't miss rookies that did from A. Vaughn to Kelenic to Kirilloff, etc.  Maybe he breaks that trend, but I would not be proclaiming him the next Mike Trout just yet.

Those other guys were not “can’t miss rookies” though.

It’s baseball. We have no idea how he’ll perform. But he’s the first 80 FV prospect on Fangraphs (I believe) and is only the 4th MLB prospect to be number 1 for two years (Andruw Jones, Joe Mauer, Bryce Harper).

Anything could happen this year. But long-term, he’s about as close to can’t miss as it comes.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I dunno....Been the year of can't miss rookies that did from A. Vaughn to Kelenic to Kirilloff, etc.  Maybe he breaks that trend, but I would not be proclaiming him the next Mike Trout just yet.

Wander is a much better prospect than any of those guys. Still doesn't mean he "can't miss", all rookies can miss.  But the gap between Wander and those guys as a prospect is pretty similar to the gap between Vlad Jr and Jo Addell in 2018 IMO.  One is talented, the other is elite.

• Like 2

Normally I'm not optimistic about hitter prospects right out of the gate, but I think Franco is an exception.  I'm not expecting him to be a top 50 fantasy player right away, but I don't think he'll be overmatched by major league pitching the way Jarred Kelenic was.  Franco's hit well at every level and I think he'll be at least an above average contributor in batting average with some speed and some power.

• Like 1

Just now, bunnyzclan said:

Anyone have any insight into whether he's going to be converted into 3B fulltime or be put back into SS?

He’ll play some of both most likely. Wendle usually plays 3B but has been awful vs L this year (.478 OPS). I think Wander will play more SS against righties.