NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Trout stunk when he first came up so no you can't assume a future superstar is going to be great from the get go.  This is baseball, the game of patience.  Not freaking football.

Let’s go  

Posted Images

Yep. First plate appearance he fouled off the first two pitches and fell down 0-2. He then took 4 straight pitches and worked a walk. The final two pitches were just off the outside corner too. Great vision and better patience.

Second time up, he worked the count full once again and hit a deep fly ball to center about 5 feet shy of the warning track. Sounded great off the bat but just didn’t quite get all of it.

Third plate appearance, he smoked a first pitch breaking ball that was breaking in toward him for a three run, game tying homer.

No matter what happens from here, he’s had a hell of a debut.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mks said:

Well on his way to AROD age 20 season pro rated to 75 games. I expected him to be THIS GOOD and so far he is.

Excellent - never want to hear you complain about him since it’s established already he is A-ROD redivivus age 20.

• Haha 2
Just now, Blood Brother said:

Cannot wait for him to gain 3B eligibility and perhaps 2B eligibility sometime this season

Five games at catcher incoming. 

• Like 1

One guy already admitted on the GDT that he was watching live baseball for the first time in years just to see Wander, and the fact that people are watching each AB with interest is great for the game. Add him to the ranks of Vlad, FTJ and Acuna as players who will have fans flocking to watch them play that would otherwise have no interest in baseball.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t wanna jinx it but I can’t wait to gloat at the other prospect that was ranked higher than Wander earlier this year. I never really understood that and to me it was just folks trying to be contrarian

The underlying metrics make it obvious that this guy is a rare talent 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

I don’t wanna jinx it but I can’t wait to gloat at the other prospect that was ranked higher than Wander earlier this year. I never really understood that and to me it was just folks trying to be contrarian

Anybody who had Kelenic ahead of Franco is a dolt and was just fatigued from the Wander hype. Wander is significantly more talented than Kelenic, and I like Kelenic. It’s no contest, Franco is an absurdly rare talent.

• Like 1
Just now, killa3312 said:

Anybody who had Kelenic ahead of Franco is a dolt and was just fatigued from the Wander hype. Wander is significantly more talented than Kelenic, and I like Kelenic. It’s no contest, Franco is an absurdly rare talent.

I wouldn’t have ever even ranked Kelenic in front of Adley either, but that’s just me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I wouldn’t have ever even ranked Kelenic in front of Adley either, but that’s just me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No doubt, to me Adley and Wander were significantly ahead of the pack with Wander a good distance ahead of even Adley. Not sure where the Kelenic is better than Wander hype came from out of nowhere, but Wander’s minor league #’s were significantly better and he was younger than Kelenic at that. Like I said, prospect fatigue.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

No doubt, to me Adley and Wander were significantly ahead of the pack with Wander a good distance ahead of even Adley. Not sure where the Kelenic is better than Wander hype came from out of nowhere, but Wander’s minor league #’s were significantly better and he was younger than Kelenic at that. Like I said, prospect fatigue.

Completely agree on all counts. Wander is far and away #1 and Adley is a clear cut #2 IMO. Adley’s position scarcity alone gives him more FV than Kelenic even if their bats were dead even, which they aren’t.

Back to Wander, he just turned a nice, yet unique 6-3 double play. Heads up to attempt to tag the runner and force him out of the baselines and then throw out the batter at first. This kid can do it all.

40 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

Yep. The reasoning for it was overblown too. Worrying about Wander's launch angle.

Got to another thee ball count before grounding out to the pitcher… bum. Dude could easily have three walks tonight, his plate discipline is other worldly. And the fact that he wasn’t overpowered or fooled by Matt Barnes who overpowers everyone is impressive.

• Like 1

Most impressive thing of his game today in these first 5 PAs has been his discipline. As advertised so far. I think in his first 3 PAs the only ball he swung out of the zone was the home run.