NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Wander Franco 2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, 5catstud said:

What did you see out there today? Didn’t get a chance to catch the game

He posted that comment shortly after a strikeout so I was also curious as to what he was seeing.

5 hours ago, 5catstud said:

What did you see out there today? Didn’t get a chance to catch the game

sorry, was just talking outloud basically...His swing/approach on BOTH sides of the plate are very impressive.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

4 for his last 12 … 3 straight games with a hit. Optimistic?  Still we will see a lot of 0-fers 

I believe they said last night was his first hit from the left side of the plate, and that's going to be a big part of his adjustment, as switch-hitting in the majors is not easy. Did he show better numbers from either side of the plate in the minors?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I believe they said last night was his first hit from the left side of the plate, and that's going to be a big part of his adjustment, as switch-hitting in the majors is not easy. Did he show better numbers from either side of the plate in the minors?

Historically better from the left side and most of his power came from that side.

He has faced quite a few lefties it seems every time I watch his ABs he’s hitting righty.

His bread and butter is batting left and it’s a beautiful swing from that side. Looking forward to seeing him showcase his true dynamic ability from that side against RHPs

• 3 weeks later...

Had a solid series against Atlanta including a nice, majestic 411 HR to straightaway center. Interestingly, all three of his HRs have come RH when he historically has hit almost all of his HRs lefty prior to this season. He hasn’t been good, and he is striking out way more than I thought he would, but for a 20 year old who is a young 20 at that and the youngest player in the majors, he could be doing a lot worse. I think you’ll see him have a very respectable second half as he learns to adjust to MLB pitching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Had a solid series against Atlanta including a nice, majestic 411 HR to straightaway center. Interestingly, all three of his HRs have come RH when he historically has hit almost all of his HRs lefty prior to this season. He hasn’t been good, and he is striking out way more than I thought he would, but for a 20 year old who is a young 20 at that and the youngest player in the majors, he could be doing a lot worse. I think you’ll see him have a very respectable second half as he learns to adjust to MLB pitching.

That start will have to wait a day, as he's not in the lineup.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:40 PM, 5catstud said:

He has faced quite a few lefties it seems every time I watch his ABs he’s hitting righty.

His bread and butter is batting left and it’s a beautiful swing from that side. Looking forward to seeing him showcase his true dynamic ability from that side against RHPs

Oddly enough he has a .330 OPS and 34.1% K rate against RHP, and a 1.067 OPS and 11.1% K rate vs. LHP. Not what I was expecting.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, killa3312 said:

I know the overall numbers don't look great, but he's doing MUCH MUCH better than Kelenic or Duran.  It's really tough for rookie hitters to make a fantasy impact.  He should be great long-term, but realistically no one should have expected him to be provide more than low-end fantasy value.  It's far easier for rookie pitchers to make an impact immediately.  For that reason, Gilbert and Manoah were clearly the top two prospect stashes for this year in redraft leagues in my opinion.

Edited by FootballFan101

21 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

It's really tough for rookie hitters to make a fantasy impact.  He should be great long-term, but realistically no one should have expected him to be provide more than low-end fantasy value.  It's far easier for rookie pitchers to make an impact immediately.  For that reason, Gilbert and Manoah were clearly the top two prospect stashes for this year in redraft leagues in my opinion.

???  acuna, tatis, soto, bellinger, bichette, robert, albies, abreu (not true rookie with cuban experience imo), yordan, alonso, seager, gleyber just inside the top 55 overall predraft.might of missed some people as well. only going back last handful years.

would love to here 5-7 sp with anywhere close to the fantasy impact as those rookie year bats

Edited by colepenhagen

27 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I know the overall numbers don't look great, but he's doing MUCH MUCH better than Kelenic or Duran.  It's really tough for rookie hitters to make a fantasy impact.  He should be great long-term, but realistically no one should have expected him to be provide more than low-end fantasy value.  It's far easier for rookie pitchers to make an impact immediately.  For that reason, Gilbert and Manoah were clearly the top two prospect stashes for this year in redraft leagues in my opinion.

I’ll give you Kelenic but Duran hasn’t played in nearly as many games and Wander had just as slow of a start.

19 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

???  acuna, tatis, soto, bellinger, bichette, robert, albies, abreu (not true rookie with cuban experience imo), yordan, alonso, seager, gleyber just inside the top 55 overall predraft.might of missed some people as well. only going back last handful years.

would love to here 5-7 sp with anywhere close to the fantasy impact as those rookie year bats

Off the top of my head, Jose Fernandez, Jacob deGrom,  Masahiro Tanaka (like Abreu not true rookie), Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner, Chris Sale, Justin Verlander, Craig Kimbrel.  i'm sure I'm missing some.

Edited by FootballFan101

24 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Off the top of my head, Jose Fernandez, Jacob deGrom,  Masahiro Tanaka (like Abreu not true rookie), Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner, Chris Sale, Justin Verlander, Craig Kimbrel.  i'm sure I'm missing some.

ha want to use some recent examples? or do you want to give me 8 sp from the last 10-13 years?

point still stands rookie bats>sp its not even debatable

throw in correa, bryant, harper, lindor trea (unless you want to take his 40 ab rookie season)

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ha want to use some recent examples? or do you want to give me 8 sp from the last 10-13 years?

point still stands rookie bats>sp its not even debatable

throw in correa, bryant, harper, lindor trea (unless you want to take his 40 ab rookie season)

2021: Trevor Rogers, Luis Garcia, Logan Gilbert, Alek Manoah

2020: Tony Gonsolin, Ian Anderson, Sixto Sanchez

2019: Mike Soroka, Chris Paddack

2018: Walker Buehler, Jack Flaherty, Shane Bieber

The odds of a top prospect being a total bust the first year the way Jarred Kelenic has been are a lot lower for a top pitching prospect than for a top hitting prospect.

2 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

Hope he goes on a tear and ends the year well, I have 5 keeper spots and I really don't want to debate not keeping him.

We use 6…keep forever. He’s one of mine regardless of what the ROS looks like. 

• Like 1