NBC Sports EDGE Forums

The MLB Name Game Past/Present

Names, names, names. This is part of the fun of every MLB season, new names, faces, old ones you never thought you'd hear again. For every cup of coffee consumed by guys like Lars Nootbaar and Zach Reks you never heard of, there are as many Scotts as you can name waiting in the wings to resurrect their careers. I just went on a tangent about all the Joshes across MLB, or just last night noticed the weird lineup combo in the Indians order of Rosario-Ramirez-Rosario-Ramirez.  I've seen at least one admission in the past 24 hours that a player had the wrong Wander Franco on their roster-you know who you are 😉

When I was a kid, my family used to play a name game on road trips (the 162 game season is a LOT like a long road trip to me, sorry if I get bored from the back seat); generally you were trying for alliteration, so Sammy Sosa was 1 point, same as Barry Bonds, etc. You would run out of MLB players pretty quickly and lapse into other sports and celebrities, but you get the idea. What are some of the names that are stuck in your head this year? Maybe you like the ring of "Yonathan" Daza because that's a cool spelling. Who had a name you just loved to say-a lot of the Latin players, in particular, can have names that are fun to pronounce (always loved Galarraga, Gallardo, etc) or other players' names that we deliberately mispronounce (i.e. Karen-chak, Poo-holes) or have trouble with (Hirokazu Sawamura, I'm looking at you).

Who's got the coolest name in the game currently? (hint: Oakland A's.) What's your favorite fantasy team you've named after a player, or give us one you're rolling with this year. I like to start fun threads and put lots of random references and videos that have a loose connection to baseball. Post a random tribute to your favorite underrated player, past or present, and see what memories it brings up for you and others. This might be described as the Old Yeller thread if we buried him in Stephen King's "Pet Semetary". "Remember how good David Ortiz was those last few years?" "Oh yeah, I liked Ramon Ortiz he was pretty good once too!"  "Who was he again?" "Pitched for the Angels in their World Series 2002 rotation." "Hmmm...let me Google him...87-86 career 4.95 ERA, he was never good!" that kind of thing. Of course, the real challenge is to discuss a player from memory without "cheating" by using Google, but its on an honor system. There are no rules but generally try to make a connection, either via alliteration or using two players with the same first or last name. "I've got three Kyles' on my team!" is just perfect. I can't be the only one who sees these things.

Again, mods, if you want to move this to Off Topic so be it, but lets see where it goes. If its within the "Six Degrees of MLB Separation test" it should be Ok, so for example to use Beyonce's "Say My Name" I'd have to draw a line all the way from her to Jay-Z to A-Rod...done. 

• Like 1

My Twinkies had a dude named Boof Bonser for a while. Always enjoyed the local radio guys say his name. It was a blast watching live at the stadium when he pitched. Booooooofff!!

When I was younger my brother and I tried to create the longest chain of players where the last name (or word) needed to be the first for the next one. I believe the best we ever did was:

Ken Griffey Jr., Junior Felix, Felix Jose, Jose Canseco.

Could probably do longer now. These were just 90s players.

• Like 1

Boof, Coco, love early the responses, already a few I never heard of from back in the day. My Mom always liked Jhonny Peralta's spelling (family in-joke) and there are always a bunch of Peraltas in the game. If I saw Wandy pitching I'd taunt him and say it's a girls name, yet I totally changed my team name to WanderVision overnight to roll with Franco now that he's up. 

My favorite new name going, and a guy I think could wind up fantasy relevant just cuz someone eventually has to get a save for Arizona, is new DBacks reliever Humberto Castellanos. Man, that name just rolls off the tongue. But no one currently can contend with Skye Bolt in terms of coolness. Gotta give him name props since there probably is no reason to mention him otherwise in terms of fantasy.

50 minutes ago, posty said:

No alliteration, but I always liked the name Biff Pocoroba...

I seem to recall a Seinfeld riff with Biff which is quite baseball relevant...can't think of Keith without recalling this episode. Plus all the Just For Men commercials with Clyde Frazier.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

My Mom always liked Jhonny Peralta's spelling (family in-joke)

I forgot about that Mets outfielder Johneswhy Fargas....they have brought up a bunch of good sounding names this year that haven't hit a lick to make them memorable otherwise. Fargas is still no Ehire Adrianza. No idea how to properly pronounce that one, but he sounds like a Wall-E robot brought in from a baseball temp agency. Here's our new "E-Hire...Adrianza."

1 hour ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Names....coco crisp.

I never could believe that name.  It was too funny. 

An older relative told me once about a player that was with his Phillies for a few years.  Rip Repulski.  Got a flow to the name though nowhere near the glory of being named after a breakfast cereal.

Also I really appreciate this and the Nootbaar thread.  We need some fun in this forum.  It has been like a ghost town for awhile now.  Forum is way too sterile most of the time these days.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I never could believe that name.  It was too funny. 

An older relative told me once about a player that was with his Phillies for a few years.  Rip Repulski.  Got a flow to the name though nowhere near the glory of being named after a breakfast cereal.

Also I really appreciate this and the Nootbaar thread.  We need some fun in this forum.  It has been like a ghost town for awhile now.  Forum is way too sterile most of the time these days.

It's can be boring as long as the info is good.

He sounds like a cereal.

Milton Bradley is another one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

can't believe yall are sleepin on my guy Cannoball Titcomb of YOUR Philadelphia Quakers

Legendary. When I went to the Jays game a few weeks ago, they had a video segment on the board where they were asking player like Grichuk and Teoscar if the names were real or fake MLB players like Boots Poffenberger, Orval Overall, or Ricky Vaughn. Most of us could spot the fake in there in a second, especially because its the only "normal" sounding name. I love all the dirty sounding ones like Antonio Bastardo, Stubby Clapp, etc. 

I once witnessed, Butch Husky, run full throttle into the wall at the Metrodome. The next day, the grounds crew, outlined his body with white tape right where he smashed into it.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, posty said:

Coco was his nickname, not his given name...  Kind of like Larry Jones...

Yeah nicknames are cool, I didn't think Jumbo was the first name Mrs. Diaz chose for her son either. Nobody called the Babe "George Herman".

As for the alliteration train, off the top of my head in the As you have Andy Ashby (believe he had a brother Aaron who never played in MLB), Antonio Alfonseca (El Pulpo, The Octopus, the 6 Fingered Closer), Austin Adams, Aaron Altherr is still hanging around somewhere in the minor leagues, that's all I can recall. Lots of Bs...one currently undergoing much-needed sensitivity training, and another deeply engaged in miniature schnauzer training.

Edited by Richard Kimble