NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

Didn't see one of these yet, but it's late-June and the hot stove should start warming up. I realize we just had the MIKE FORD BLOCKBUSTER, but now that we have all settled down after that, let's start hypothesizing.

The only fun rumor I've seen so, I think it was in the MiLB forum, was Nolan Gorman for Max Schrezer. But that seems like whimsy. White Sox could deal for Eduardo Escobar, but I dont think excites a lot of people. 

I think we know who the definitive buyers and sellers are, so let's look at some of the bubblers:

Blue Jays - I would say "buy" with their record and talent were in not for being in the AL East. Their best short term assets to deal are Semien and Ray (both FA in 2022). However, it might make a lot of sense for them to extend Ray because their pitching needs some short and long term help. If they decide to buy, then get some damn starting pitching!

Cleveland Team of Baseballing: Again, with their record AND only having one main competitor in the their division, they should be buyers, but it's hard to know what the FO really wants to do. Recent offseason activity suggests rebuilding, but they could try the dreaded "walking the line". Their SP are locked up for a while, and the only short term asset of interest is Eddie Rosario. They will probably stand pat or make a minor move to bolster the rotation. 

Angels/Seattle: both are playing decent ball but Houston and Oakland are dominating. Both teams have too many holes. 

Nationals: a .500 team that is playing like one. Only a few games out of first though. A hot run could make them buy, a fade will have them sell. Scherezer, Hand, and Babe Schwarber are prime trade candidates. I really can't see then adding much, honestly. 

Phillies: similar to the Nats but in a slightly worse situation. They give me a blue jays vibe. Talent, but not enough. Maybe they trade Di Di. I don't know. 

Cubs: they really should be buyers but the Darvish trade in the offseason and ownership worrying about money makes me wonder. They do need another starter who could not only eat innings, but do so effectively. But they have a lot of FA next year that could bring them a really good base to start the next championship window. However, if they are in first place and the FO starts selling, I expect riots. FWIW I do see the Brewers as buyers. 

Cardinals: it's going to be interesting if they are in the same spot in the standings when the trade deadline comes around. The rotation pretty much sucks, but getting Flaherty back will help. Maybe they go after a big starter. If they do sell, I'm not sure what exactly. I cant see them trading Molina or Waino (the only short terms worth a damn). 

Anyway, here's to a fun hot stove with some actual great trades!

Go baseball!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice, I put together my bullpen edition post and plan to update that thread with bullpen specific news. This would be good for broader news of position player rumors and starters too, so I expect to post at least one video of the in dugout hug routine when I come across it in here. 

I like Cleveland "team of baseball", trying to mentally ready myself for the next name too. I agree, teams such as them or the Rays or As aren't going to add much payroll. Teams that are likelier to make a big splash are obviously the Red Sox, although they have some prospect help coming, the Yanks/Jays, Phillies/Braves/Mets, NL Central Contenders. I don't expect as much activity out West, in the NL those teams kind of have their playoff positions locked in, so the Dodgers, Giants and Padres will hope for better health from their key guys and maybe add a piece here or there. In the AL west, I do think the Astros will add some bullpen help, but not much else. 

Most of the bottom of division teams will trade away as much as they can, so expect moves from the Dbacks, Royals, Marlins, Orioles, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to move marquee names like Ketel Marte, Merrifield, Starling Marte, Trey Mancini, as big names come up in rumors often. They would have to get a decent return. More likely they trade guys like Escobar, Soler/Holland, Aguilar/Garcia, and Galvis/Makiel Franco come to mind for those teams. Also think Colorado, Minnesota, Pittsburgh will be a seller, but not much to sell there. Story and Cruz are big names, PIT has Richard Rodriguez.

Some teams on the fence-Cincy, Anaheim, St. Louis. Brewers and Cubs should be modest buyers at this point. Should be interesting to follow the deadline, as the ramifications of trades across the fantasy landscape can be swift and fast. Teams lose closers, AL/NL only teams lose players or have to rush to put in FAAB bids and waiver claims. It definitely is a nice midseason jolt for the game itself, and angling to get ahead of it is always a good strategy. Some players like Kris Bryant, etc. are probably safely staying in place at this point. Others are living on borrowed time. Seeing solid info here gives the board the chance to jump the gun on the right adds and stashes!

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Cleveland will do nothing. They’re currently flipping couch cushions looking for change to buy Big League Chew. Worst skinflints in the game.

Worse than the Burgh?

On 6/27/2021 at 11:57 AM, mavsfan23 said:

Any truth to Escobar going to the White Sox? It was a Nightengale tweet so it's got like a 12% chance of actually happening, but wondering if there's any other confirmation of it. 

I love how it was dialed back from "he's held out of the lineup because a trade is imminent" to "Talks are ongoing/progressing nicely" in his latest update. It still would make a ton of sense, but sometimes these rumors get floated from the club trying to drum up some competition in the market. The White Sox may be bidding against themselves. We'll see if Rick Hahn is as clever as (fictional) Billy Beane when it comes to trade negotiation:

Another nice thread along with@Richard Kimblewho has the bullpen edition.

My contribution today was a quote from Brian Cashman this past weekend saying he doesn't expect trade activity to pick up until after the MLB draft, July 11- July 13th.

There is likely chatter going on throughout  MLB but if the Cashman quote is true, things will start picking up steam after the draft which rolls into the All Star break.

42 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

Somewhat surprised to see Dickerson as the first piece of that OF gone.  Could definitely see Marte and Duvall moved as well, with Marte being the more likely candidate IMO.  

Been hearing a little here and there that Oakland has interest in Story.  Would definitely be an upgrade over Andrus, and they wouldn't have to pay him beyond this season.

10 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Been hearing a little here and there that Oakland has interest in Story.  Would definitely be an upgrade over Andrus, and they wouldn't have to pay him beyond this season.

The A's defiantly can offer more compared to some of the other teams high on Story. They could send Allen and Jeffries for Story. 

Tim Locastro to the Yankees...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/diamondbacks-trade-tim-locastro-yankees.html#comments

The Yankees and Diamondbacks have agreed to a trade sending outfielder Tim Locastro from Arizona to New York in exchange for minor league right-hander Keegan Curtis, reports Lindsey Adler of The Athletic (Twitter link).

Locastro, 28, is one of the fastest players in the Majors and gives the Yankees a potential outfield option, though he’s in the midst of a rough year at the plate. After slashing .290/.395/.464 in 82 plate appearances with the D-backs in 2020, Locastro is hitting just .178/.271/.220 in 133 trips to the plate so far in 2021.

More to come.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, posty said:

Tim Locastro to the Yankees...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/diamondbacks-trade-tim-locastro-yankees.html#comments

The Yankees and Diamondbacks have agreed to a trade sending outfielder Tim Locastro from Arizona to New York in exchange for minor league right-hander Keegan Curtis, reports Lindsey Adler of The Athletic (Twitter link).

Locastro, 28, is one of the fastest players in the Majors and gives the Yankees a potential outfield option, though he’s in the midst of a rough year at the plate. After slashing .290/.395/.464 in 82 plate appearances with the D-backs in 2020, Locastro is hitting just .178/.271/.220 in 133 trips to the plate so far in 2021.

More to come.

Things have gotten this dire for the Yankees, that they may find themselves using Locastro more often than not. They already traded away Tauchmann, Mike Ford, Gardner's been terrible, so they just haven't gotten anything out of that bench spot. Pretty much a non-factor in fantasy outside of deep AL only leagues.

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Cubs: they really should be buyers but the Darvish trade in the offseason and ownership worrying about money makes me wonder. They do need another starter who could not only eat innings, but do so effectively. But they have a lot of FA next year that could bring them a really good base to start the next championship window. However, if they are in first place and the FO starts selling, I expect riots. FWIW I do see the Brewers as buyers. 

As a Chicago guy yourself (I assume) you pretty much hit the hammer on the head. Ownership is sheepish because of their losses due to Covid 19 last year, yet the Ricketts are some of the wealthiest people in Chicago. Ricketts might actually be the second most wealthy person. Add into the fact that they just started this "Marquee" network, completely overhauled Wrigley field, and only very recently opened up to max capacity again... Well, if they climb back into 1st (I'm not really expecting it, and I think the front office is smiling because of it...) and they do a white flag trade like the Sox did under Reinsdorf, well...I expect a lot of ticket holders to be extremely pissed off.

I also think the Brewers see this window as a good chance to buy. They've got what, a 3 game lead on a mediocre division? Best pitching in the division by FAR--could go with an amazing 3-man in the playoffs. If they added one more SP, and one solid hitter, it would improve their team a lot. I kind of expect them to do both.

Cubs though...Bryant, Kimbrel...likely gone. Rizzo...not sure, since he's having such a **** year I don't know if they'd want pennies on the dollar or to go into the offseason with an idea of "trying" to sign him to appease the fans, when really they'll just lowball him again and ultimately end up getting a draft comp. pick. As for Baez, he's the one guy who I think is safe and they will try to build around.

The problem with Bryant is while he's good (and still young), he's also been terribly inconsistent over the past few seasons and I don't see how he's worth 300mil anyway. I don't know what in the world the Cubs will actually do if they end up in 1st mid-July... But right now, I think they're sellers. I mean...who really expects them to let Bryant walk into FA? Or for them to keep Kimbrel if they're going for a rebuild?

Their farm isn't amazing, either, so if they're buyers and it's a rental situation they're going to end up giving up some of the few pieces they still have. I also don't know how I feel about that. This Cubs team is painful to follow.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Should the Padres go after Gallo, do they need him?

Pham has been mashing, Myers has been productive, Hosmer has sucked generally

Nah, I personally think the Padres need to add another proven arm to that rotation,  and if they make a big splash I'd expect it to be for pitching instead of hitting.

Here's some speculation written by a Jays website about the Twins' potential as sellers; probably far-fetched, but worth a glance. The thing is, they wrote a similar article a week prior about the Nationals, and now the Nats are on the fringe of becoming buyers. At the same time, the Cubs were buyers a week ago, and have lost 8 straight since, so things can still change in a hurry. The teams that are leading the races have the prerogative to either make their moves early, or wait to see what the chasers do and then respond in kind. The Jays are in a tight race, with the Red Sox set to "acquire" a big improvement in Chris Sale in August, so they have a definite need for starting pitching, as well. Berrios would be a fantastic upgrade, and the Jays have enough prospect capital to make such a move. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I obviously started this thread too early. We finally have an interesting (?) trade with Joc Pederson going to the Braves. 

Does it mean the Braves are buying? Maybe. It's kind of a non-committal "let's see what happens" type of deal. 

Still it's good to see the haven't waived the white flag after losing acuna. 

Here's hoping this is the first of many dominoes! 

It's happening! Where's Ron Paul when you need him?

Bryce Ball isn’t a bad return for the Cubs for a half-season of Pederson. Big power upside, although he just turned 23 and is struggling at High-A, so that’s not great. NL DH in the future would help him.

Don't forget about this blockbuster from yesterday:

The White Sox have acquired catcher Deivy Grullon from the Rays in exchange for cash considerations, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Sound replacement for Grandal. Anyway, in perusing the rumor mills, without reposting everything, a few nuggets:

Braves have already stated they won't be trading Freeman, in case anyone thought the Ball trade meant anything one way or another. 

The Mets have been linked to Kris Bryant in recent days, with speculation JD Davis is part of the potential return, and the Cubs want to see him healthy on the field. 

Also, Houston appears to be toying with the idea of adding a starter, as well; I keep advising people to shop Luis Garcia while he's still in that rotation, and no one wants to believe, maybe this will convince some that the Astros are potentially going to nuke the fantasy values of a few of their pitchers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/cubs-trade-rumors-javier-baez-anthony-rizzo-extensions-kris-bryant.html

This also doesn't surprise me, that they would touch base with Javy and Rizzo before the deadline. Things could move quickly, I'm thinking Rizzo's down season may motivate him to take another team-friendly deal if they give him just over 6 figures. He wants to be a Cub for life.

Looking likely that Marte gets dealt following this report about his extension talks breaking down. There was also a similar report regarding Berrios' camp ending extension talks to enter FA, so he's on the block too. The problem there is Minnesota's asking price is a pre-arb MLB player, and two top 100 prospects, which is a major ask for a summer rental. Unless a team like the Mets or Nationals decide they are worried about DeGrom/Strasburg long term, I don't see a deal coming through without them lowering the price.

Reports from earlier today indicated that Starling Marte rejected the Marlins’ offer of a three-year, $30MM contract extension, making it all the more likely that the outfielder would be dealt prior to the July 30 trade deadline.  Contract negotiations are now over between the two sides, according to The Miami Herald’s Craig Mish (Twitter links), as Marte didn’t want the talks to become a distraction for him as the second half of the season progresses.

MLB Network’s Jon Heyman (via Twitter) adds the detail that the Marlins’ extension offer was greater than three years and $30MM, but regardless, it now seems that the team will focus on dealing Marte.  As one might expect, Marte is already drawing interest from multiple suitors, as Heyman writes that the AstrosPhillies, and Yankees are three of the teams who have been in touch with the Marlins about the former All-Star.