NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

6 minutes ago, collucho said:

The Yankees operate like me playing franchise mode on MLB the Show with no plans of playing more than one season. Are they trying to get Story with Voit and then Rizzo to play first?

Luke Voit was rumored in an Anthony Rizzo trade so maybe not for Story. If Voit is not in the Rizzo trade, color me intrigued.

32 minutes ago, collucho said:

The Yankees operate like me playing franchise mode on MLB the Show with no plans of playing more than one season. Are they trying to get Story with Voit and then Rizzo to play first?

You do realize they can extend these acquired players, right?

11 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

I guess this is the new way of doing business for the Yankees.

Don’t get too accustomed to it - probably last year it is allowed to happen

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Don’t get too accustomed to it - probably last year it is allowed to happen

Honestly, until the last couple of days I didn't even know this could happen.

Edited by PinstripeGM

6 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

F the Yankees, the league is a joke! Put a hard salary cap in now!

Not to sidetrack, but the inefficacy of this rule has been discussed on this forum ad nauseam

• Like 2

Screw the salary cap. These owners have billions of dollars to spend. If they wanna sit back and watch other billionaires spend money…that’s their fault. Even the smallest of market teams profit in the millions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Not to sidetrack, but the inefficacy of this rule has been discussed on this forum ad nauseam

Here is the rank of the World Series winner by payroll since 1995. You can't argue that having a higher payroll doesn't give you a huge advantage.  Only 1 team has been in the bottom half of the league in payroll.  And this is opening day payroll, doesn't count teams that added salary during the season.  2020 you ask?  The Dodgers..they were in the top 2 or 3 if not the highest payroll.

Payroll.JPG

Edited by murraygd13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Here is the rank of the World Series winner by payroll since 1995. You can't argue that having a higher payroll doesn't give you a huge advantage.  Only 1 team has been in the bottom half of the league in payroll.  And this is opening day payroll, doesn't count teams that added salary during the season.  2020 you ask?  The Dodgers..they were in the top 2 or 3 if not the highest payroll.

Payroll.JPG

I appreciate this - hadn’t seen it before, so I agree you have a point.  Maybe my question should be: “What do you think will change if you impose a cap?”  Like, all of a sudden, Robbie Nutting is going to start spending money on his team or something?

Just now, BMcP said:

I appreciate this - hadn’t seen it before, so I agree you have a point.  Maybe my question should be: “What do you think will change if you impose a cap?”  Like, all of a sudden, Robbie Nutting is going to start spending money on his team or something?

This was good research. To me the $$ advantage shows itself when young superstars come up for big pay days and teams not named Yankees, Dodgers , Red Sox can't afford them hence shipping them to higher revenue teams. These higher revenue teams also kick in money to lower revenue teams & the onus should be on the owners of those franchises to spend it on players not to line their pockets. My guess is a  hard cap (NFL) will avoid the higher revenue teams to keep all the high end players but as stated before this topic is for another thread.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Share all the local TV revenue equally among teams.  I know there is some revenue sharing now, but I don't know the exact details.  The Dodgers pull in $239 million a year in local TV,  the Marlins $20 million.

54 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

F the Yankees, the league is a joke! Put a hard salary cap in now!

Your graph shows 5 out of the last 10 WS winners were double digits 50%. Having a superstar in every position don’t meanshit.