NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

52 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Here is the rank of the World Series winner by payroll since 1995. You can't argue that having a higher payroll doesn't give you a huge advantage.  Only 1 team has been in the bottom half of the league in payroll.  And this is opening day payroll, doesn't count teams that added salary during the season.  2020 you ask?  The Dodgers..they were in the top 2 or 3 if not the highest payroll.

Payroll.JPG

14 different champions on that list, 15 if you throw in the Dodgers in 2020. Also, 7 other teams have been to a World Series since 95, so 22 of the 30 franchises. 7 different winners the last 7 years. More parity than most sports with salary caps.

And spending is cyclical for a lot of teams. The Royals aren't usually 12th in payroll, but they went for it in 2015. The current system has its flaws but it's not stopping small-market teams from contending. 6-7 years of team control means scouting and development still go farther than free-agent spending.

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Dodgers trying to get both Mad Max and Turner in mega deal...per Passan

Wow!!! Here we go! Then again, Max was headed to San Diego a couple of hours ago so buckle up!

Edited by PinstripeGM

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am not gonna be able to get anything done tmrw afternoon. This is fun AF.

I hope they permanently make a hard July deadline and get rid of the Aug waivers stuff. So much intrigue.

Isn't it so weird that our lives have just slowed to a crawl for a few days, everything normal is put on hold until further notice, and its incredibly exciting nonetheless.  Now that I see this kind of movement, yes, screw the waiver deadline trades. I always hated that part of it, and its clear that this forces teams to go big or go home.

On one note, if Dodgers get Scherzer and Turner, it's going to be horrible for the league from a competitive standpoint. Salary cap will be coming even quicker than expected if that happens.

On the flip side: If Nats trade Scherzer and Turner, they need to absolutely CLEAN THE DODGERS FARM SYSTEM OUT. I'm talking Ruiz, Cartaya, Grey, and possibly even Busch or Hoese along with Lux.

4 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

On one note, if Dodgers get Scherzer and Turner, it's going to be horrible for the league from a competitive standpoint. Salary cap will be coming even quicker than expected if that happens.

On the flip side: If Nats trade Scherzer and Turner, they need to absolutely CLEAN THE DODGERS FARM SYSTEM OUT. I'm talking Ruiz, Cartaya, Grey, and possibly even Busch or Hoese along with Lux.

Wonder what San Diego offered since Max seemed headed to SD a few hours ago. Like I've said before, strap on!!

Edited by PinstripeGM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Yeah as a Giants fan this is a major gut punch.  

4 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

Wonder what San Diego offered since Max seemed headed to SD a few hours ago. Like I've said before, strap on!!

I gotta believe that SD offered something around Mackenzie Gore and Capusano.....not buying that they'd actually give up Abrams.

• Like 2

If Nats don't get at least 4 of the following back (Ruiz, Cartaya, Grey, Hoese, Busch, Pages) along with Lux and or Bellinger....I see this as Dodgers winning this trade by a landslide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Share all the local TV revenue equally among teams.  I know there is some revenue sharing now, but I don't know the exact details.  The Dodgers pull in $239 million a year in local TV,  the Marlins $20 million.

This already occurs - and will be subject to change by next year’s CBT discussion.

24 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

Nats got robbed blind.  Dude we are talking Trea FREAKING Turner here who is worth those two plus Lux and another top prospect like Hoese alone.  Then you start adding players for the Max rental part of the trade.  Nats suck at trades.  Remember the one they did to get Adam Eaton a few years back?  That was really bad too.  They are absolutely terrible at trading.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Wondering about Craig Kimbrel and I found this : (did some - strike through editing)

https://www.actionnetwork.com/mlb/craig-kimbrel-trade-odds-cubs-athletics-yankees-mets

Craig Kimbrel Trade Odds

Odds according to PointsBet (Colorado only) as of Wednesday night

Team Odds
A’s  +325
Yankees  +350       Would have been included in the Rizzo Trade?
Mets +400
Red Sox +500
Astros +550      Got their upgrade?
Phillies +550
Brewers +625
Padres +800
Dodgers +800     They need more?

Rays

+900

Edited by twoseemer

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nats got robbed blind.  Dude we are talking Trea FREAKING Turner here who is worth those two plus Lux and another top prospect like Hoese alone.  Then you start adding players for the Max rental part of the trade.  Nats suck at trades.  Remember the one they did to get Adam Eaton a few years back?  That was really bad too.  They are absolutely terrible at trading.

You know how we always get on team fans for making ridiculous trade offers? Seems like a fan made this trade not an MLB front office.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PinstripeGM said:

You know how we always get on team fans for making ridiculous trade offers? Seems like a fan made this trade not an MLB front office.   

They did well on that Lucas Giol-…wait…

• Haha 2