NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

This trade season feels like a Fantasy Baseball players wet dream. 

Dodgers GM - “we really want to win now, all these other teams are going crazy…guys can we send our two best prospects for two All Star’s”

Nationals GM - “hell yes!”

In all seriousness I wonder if Ruiz makes an impact for the nationals this year. They have a need at catcher and may want to see what they have in him. 

Edited by mudrummer

Just now, mudrummer said:

This trade season feels like a Fantasy Baseball players wet dream. 

Dodgers GM - “we really want to win now, all these other teams are going crazy…guys can we send our two best prospects for two All Star’s”

Nationals GM - “hell yes!”

In all seriousness I wonder if Ruiz makes an impact for the nationals this year. They have a need at catcher and may want to see what they have in him. 

With the one exception that the Dodgers didn’t come close to sending their best prospects.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

With the one exception that the Dodgers didn’t come close to sending their best prospects.

Ruiz and Gray are 1-2 on Dodgers prospect lists on both MLB Pipeline and Fangraphs. I think those guys were pretty clearly their top two from a real-life standpoint, even if bats like Busch, Vargas or Pages might be more fun for fantasy.

I don't think the Nationals did as bad as some here are suggesting. Scherzer is an FA after this year and Turner after 2022. Ruiz and Gray are potential stars with lots of team control ahead. Not sure how the other two guys get involved in a deal like this and the Nats probably should've pushed for at least one more legit prospect, so I wouldn't say they did great or anything, but it wasn't a disaster IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Ruiz and Gray are 1-2 on Dodgers prospect lists on both MLB Pipeline and Fangraphs. I think those guys were pretty clearly their top two from a real-life standpoint, even if bats like Busch, Vargas or Pages might be more fun for fantasy.

I don't think the Nationals did as bad as some here are suggesting. Scherzer is an FA after this year and Turner after 2022. Ruiz and Gray are potential stars with lots of team control ahead. Not sure how the other two guys get involved in a deal like this and the Nats probably should've pushed for at least one more legit prospect, so I wouldn't say they did great or anything, but it wasn't a disaster IMO.

Turner is the bigger surprise for me - Soto + Turner is the core of a competitive team - they must not have seen a path to compete in 2022. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

They could literally get scherzer back this year 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

We also don't know what Scherzer was pushing for behind the scenes. With his ability to torpedo deals, Washington might not have been left with much leverage if they wanted to move him.

2 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

Schwarber to the red Sox 

Well didn't see that coming.  Good power bat but given what they need I don't know why either which is basically bull pen set-up guy, another starter, possible 1B upgrade.  He has only played LF so he isn't very flexible in the field.  And he isn't coming off the IL for maybe another month is it?  He is a FA at the end of the season too.  A bit puzzling in and of itself as a stand alone trade.  Can't wait to hear Chaim explain the deal.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nats got robbed blind.  Dude we are talking Trea FREAKING Turner here who is worth those two plus Lux and another top prospect like Hoese alone.  Then you start adding players for the Max rental part of the trade.  Nats suck at trades.  Remember the one they did to get Adam Eaton a few years back?  That was really bad too.  They are absolutely terrible at trading.

In fairness, every pundit I heard thought they got the better of the eaton trade for a couple years.  Eaton was a beast at real baseball (high OBP, excellent D).  Lucas was a floundering former big prospect.  But then he wasn't. 

9 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

In fairness, every pundit I heard thought they got the better of the eaton trade for a couple years.  Eaton was a beast at real baseball (high OBP, excellent D).  Lucas was a floundering former big prospect.  But then he wasn't. 

We must go to different pundits.  And it was was laughed at in this forum from the get go too.

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Padres have acquired right-handed pitcher Daniel Hudson from the Washington Nationals in exchange for right-hander Mason Thompson and shortstop Jordy Barley, President of Baseball Operations and General Manager A.J. Preller announced today.

Edited by PinstripeGM
  • Like 1

So what big names are left today?

Kimbrel

Bryant

Baez (I dont think he will be traded)

Kyle Gibson

Trevor Story

Jon Gray (?)

Merrifield (Royals kinda made him available)

Berrios 

Schoop (not a big name I guess)

Am I missing anyone?

This has been a great deadline. I hope my White Sox have another good move up their sleeves.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well didn't see that coming.  Good power bat but given what they need I don't know why either which is basically bull pen set-up guy, another starter, possible 1B upgrade.  He has only played LF so he isn't very flexible in the field.  And he isn't coming off the IL for maybe another month is it?  He is a FA at the end of the season too.  A bit puzzling in and of itself as a stand alone trade.  Can't wait to hear Chaim explain the deal.

Didn't he come up as a catcher? Saying he's not flexible just because he had a set position is pretty unfair. I’m sure we’ll try to convert him to a 1B.

Edited by collucho

12 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Shocked baseball even allowed the trade to happen. I thought my ex wife fleeced me, but damn did the Nats get taken to the cleaners. 

I actually think they got the better end of the deal long term. They gave up 2 months of Scherzer and a year of Turner for two pieces who are MLB ready and could be good for a very long time. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mudrummer said:

Yawn….can someone tell me when this sleeper of a trade deadline is over. Would be nice to see at least one big trade happen… ;)

I got what I asked for! My post was born out of impatience it wasn't a legitimate prediction lol.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

I actually think they got the better end of the deal long term. They gave up 2 months of Scherzer and a year of Turner for two pieces who are MLB ready and could be good for a very long time. 

Mad Max has 2022 as well on top of Trea for next year. For two high ceiling prospects who have minimal mlb experience. 

14 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Not a fan of either team (Nats or Dodgers) IMO this trade helps both teams. Now if we were playing fantasy I would throw a fit, demanding a veto. 

Yanks got better 

I do wonder why Schwaber isn’t there OF & DH set? 

Nationals tickets go on sale … buy 1 get 1 free. 

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

So what big names are left today?

Kimbrel

Bryant

Baez (I dont think he will be traded)

Kyle Gibson

Trevor Story

Jon Gray (?)

Merrifield (Royals kinda made him available)

Berrios 

Schoop (not a big name I guess)

Am I missing anyone?

This has been a great deadline. I hope my White Sox have another good move up their sleeves.

You’ve gotta include all the twins, especially Maeda, Donaldson, Buxton. I think at least one of them is traded.

Luke Voit’s name has come up.  I think his chances have gone up now that they have Rizzo and Gallo and they’re looking for more lefty balance in the lineup.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

I'm assuming there wasn't a better trade on the board.  1/2 a season rental of a player usually doesn't get a ton. Yankees getting Gleyber for half a season of Chapman was kinda nuts.  Dodgers gave up Willie Calhoun for half a season of Darvish.  Dodgers gave up a platter of irrelevant prospects for Machado, the headliner still hasn't debuted and is struggling in AAA three years later (Yunsiel Diaz)

Pretty confident in Keibert being their catcher for the next 6 years. Gray is some sort of starter they have for 6 years, could be pretty good, and if he's a mid rotation guy thats a very good outcome.

For all those that saying fleeced, was there a better trade out there they didn't get? Teams are more reluctant to trade top prospects these days. I'm not saying its an amazing trade, but they had to trade Scherzer to someone.